Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

I'd Like Your Opinions

I've been thinking about buying another business. I came across this franchise that refills ink and toner cartridges. They give you the same amount of ink and the same high quality ink as HP. The difference is that the ink cartridge would cost about half the price of a HP cartridge. Does this sound like a business that might be around for awhile? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Do you have any idea how strong a market for such an item is where you are? I don't know anyone who uses HP, only Lexmark.

I only used HP as an example. They refill cartridges from all brands.

It sounds like it might be a good idea, however, how well is that franchise already doing? I mean, if it is barely keeping its head above water it might not be a good investment. Unless you have some ideas on turning sales around.

I do not know if it is elsewhere, but a couple places I have seen that are kinda major chains offer to recycle the cartridges. I believe Staples is one, as well as Office Max. I do not personally know if they also sell recycled cartridges.. but it may make competition tough if this is the case.

In the case of refills, we have used refill kits that sell for something like $19. Or if we really want to get a new cartridge then we pay the $27 to get a new one.

And my printer/scanner/copier is an HP, and my mother and I think brother also have HP printers.

Edited by Yillara_Skye

how well is that franchise already doing?

They already have over 1000 stores in several countries. According to Business Week magazine, the Franchisees seem to earn about $80,000 per year.

In the case of refills, we have used refill kits that sell for something like $19.

The article I read mentioned those too but said that most people find those kits to be very messy and cumbersome.

I do not know if it is elsewhere, but a couple places I have seen that are kinda major chains offer to recycle the cartridges

They recycle them and give you a small discount on your purchase. This benefits only them. Office Depot used to give you a ream of paper in exchange for an empty ink cartridge but they have stopped doing that.

Any thoughts on some possible backlash from HP and other manufacturers? According to the article I read, sales of ink account for about 60% of HP's profits. I found that to be amazing. So far, chains like the one I'm interested in are making inroads into that profit. I wonder what their response would be?

As a man who has too often jumped headlong into one bad business venture after another, I advise caution.

Really look into the potential of this business, and take the proper considerations before investing yourself into this enterprise.

Do your homework on this and if it sounds good, do it.

Whatever choice you make, hope it turns out well.

I'd seriously look at the reputation of recycled cartridges generally. I've read things that suggest the quality is not as good and that for the sake of your printer you shouldn't use refills. But that might apply to home refill kits more than professional refill kits.

Given that you can almost buy a new printer for what you pay for a new ink cartridge - there is certainly a need for this type of franchise. And if PC world or a similar source writes a posive review of this business - I'd be a customer.

I'd seriously look at the reputation of recycled cartridges generally. I've read things that suggest the quality is not as good and that for the sake of your printer you shouldn't use refills. But that might apply to home refill kits more than professional refill kits.

Given that you can almost buy a new printer for what you pay for a new ink cartridge - there is certainly a need for this type of franchise. And if PC world or a similar source writes a posive review of this business - I'd be a customer.

That's very true, generic ink can destroy your printer. I myself still use generic ink though, my printer cost me about $100, to replace all of the ink cartridges would cost me about $75 for 6 cartridges if I buy the Epson brand ink. On eBay I can get 18 cartridges (3 full sets) for about $45.

I use so much ink that it would cost me a fortune to buy genuine ink every time I needed it, I figured that I'll just use the generic ink and when the printer dies on me I will have saved enough on ink to just throw it away and buy a brand new one. Either that or I'll auction the printer every 6 months and then buy a brand new one.

So far I've had 2 printers since April and I've used about 45 or 50 cartridges (or more).

I'd seriously look at the reputation of recycled cartridges generally

One of the things that they stress is that they use the same high quality ink as HP does. From what I've read, you cannot tell the difference when you print something. This is one of their big selling points.