Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Name & StarTrekFans.net Avatars

The avatars have been made using a flash program called Swish. Many of the mods have this program and have made their avatars (and some signature pics) using it. It has also been used for many of the tributes created by VBG and myself that have appeared on the boards. Swish is a fairly easy program to use and can be purchased online from their website at Swishzone.com If you don't wish to purchase the program they do have a 14 day free trial. It can also be obtained through other means such as at Kazaa.

Once the avatars have been made they must be uploaded to the internet and can then be added to the boards using the My Control - Edit Avatar feature.

I may look into it. For now, I will stick to using animated gifs for my avatar and sig. I have a pretty good editor for animated gifs. I realize swf flash files can be cool but a few of the boards I use do not support flash files yet. When they do, I will start fooling around more with editing flash files.

Oh, thankyou Takara for posting the link to the gif that I use for my avatar.

Does that mean we could use any media program as long as the work was uploaded to the web?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about what kind of media files the board will display?

Currently the only "special" media files you can use for Avatars and Signatires is Flash which uses a .swf extension. You can use the basic pic types as well .gif .jpg etc. It doesn't matter what program you use to make the flash file, but it has to be flash and it has to have .swf to work.

Also, please keep any flash avatars and or signatures to a fairly small size (try to keep them under 100k) and don't add music or sounds.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are hosting your avatars on a free host like Geocities they will cut you off after so much bandwidth has been used. When that happens your avatar or sig won't display.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are hosting your avatars on a free host like Geocities they will cut you off after so much bandwidth has been used. When that happens your avatar or sig won't display.

:laugh: i found that out the hard way. lol.