Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

Who would you play for?

Okay, here's the set up. You are a rookie free-agent in the NFL. missed the draft for some reason, but every NFL team (all 32) have contacted your agent and have offered you a contract. Where would you go? Do you go someplace like Indianapolis, who has a really hot team, and is probably a playoff contender? Or do you go someplace like Green Bay or Chicago, a team that may not be great right now, but has a history to it that few others do?

For me, Assuming it's May 2006, I'd look at it this way. I could go to Indy, and play with Peyton. Go to the playoffs, maybe even get my ring the first year. I could go to Philly and play with Donovan McNabb. Good choices both. Defensively, assuming I played on Defense, I could go to Chicago and play side by side with Brian Urlacher, or go to New York and line up next to Micheal Strayhan. But, All of those players I mentioned are going to be around a while. So, If I was going to make my decision based on playing with a future hall of famer, there is no choice. And this isn't because I have their helmet as my avatar. If I am going to have an opportunity to play with a future 1st Ballot hall of Fame player, The choice is clear: Green Bay. Brett Favre won't be around much longer. So, I'd want to get a chance to play with that man before the chance dissapears. He's a great QB, and a great leader.

There is also another thing: Green Bay has an unrivaled history to it. No other team in the National Football League has won as many championships has they have. Nobody. Period. Not the Cowboys, not the Niners, Nobody. And by championships I mean National Football League Championships. Green Bay was dominating the competition before there even was a Superbowl. The NFL has been around for some 80+ years now, but only had 40 Superbowls. And before the Superbowl Era, there was the Packers' Era. A time when men like Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi were kings. An area when a helmet was made out of the same material as the ball. And the Packers have plenty of history. they have a winning tradition there. so much of one, in fact, that when a team wins the Superbowl, they take home the VINCE LOMBARDI trophy, named after a man who forged his legend coaching in a small, Northeastern Wisconsin football team. That's where I want to play. I could care less about the big city lights, or a multi-million dollar contract. Give me a chance to be a part of the most storied franchise in NFL history. Give me a chance to be a part of the largest football organisation in the NFL (with more than 20,000 people who can legitimately claim to be a part of the Green Bay Packers. The Packers, after all, are owned by the community.) That's where I would play. How about you?

For me it would be more about tradition than money (no lie). I'd want to play for a team with a lot of history behind it, and firm community support, so Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago all would be good picks, as would the NY Giants, Cleveland Browns or the Phila' Eagles.

I suppose I'd select one of the great old Midwest teams, since their rivalries are such a storied part of NFL history. I've read all about the grudges between Minnesota/Greenbay, Chicago/Greenbay, and Minnesota/Chicago (and don't forget the Lions). My uncle Dan in Indiana loves all that.

I'd pick Cleveland or Chicago. Can't really decide between the two. :laugh:

Assuming that I have my choice and no matter where I pick I will be on the team and money isn't a concern there's only 1 team I'd want to be a part of. For me, it's pretty predictable. It would be the Eagles hands down. As an Eagles fan, which I have been since 1978 I look upon all other teams as the scum of the earth and when I am in "football mode" I want only bad things to happen to every team that can't help the Eagles.

Other teams history or traditions mean nothing to me. For me it's all about the Birds, be they 3-13 or 13-3 I will bleed midnight green till the day I die.

I would choice tradition and go with Buffalo. It doesn't matter how many games they won or lose. I will be home with my family and friends.