Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Frakes: Greed Has Buried 'Star Trek'

Too much Star Trek definitely isn't a good thing, according to Next Generation actor Jonathan Frakes.

Speaking in the latest issue of British sci-fi magazine SFX (via the Great Link), Frakes said that the overabundance of Star Trek has diluted the appeal of the film franchise. "The box office would indicate that Nemesis will be the last film, I think that greed has buried Star Trek. There are too many television shows, too many series."

Frakes, who is currently directing a big-screen version of Thunderbirds in the United Kingdom, said The Next Generation was "fabulous" but "that it got watered down through Voyager, through DS9, through Enterprise".

In contrast to much of the 1980s, when the feature films were the only new Star Trek entertainment on offer, fans are now spoilt for choice, according to Frakes. "It's hard to garner interest in a Star Trek movie, especially if Star Trek fans can get their Trek elsewhere. The other shows look painfully familiar and none of them were as good as our show, dammit!"

Click here.

Personally, I think the only time we had over-saturation on tv is when DS9 and VOY were both on. First we had TOS, then TNG, then phased DS9 in as TNG was phased out... then they decided to do both DS9 and VOY. While I enjoyed both shows, I've noticed that that's when Trek went down hill. It got too dilluted. Hopefully, ENT can fix that. While I loved having 2 Trek series at once, I think doing it again will kill off the franchise. However, he's right about having too many shows effecting the movies. Instead of going to the movies for a "new Trek adventure", some go for TNG, some won't go becuase it's not DS9 or VOY, and others won't go when they can just catch ENT on Wednesday nights. Personally, I'm really into movies, so, regardless of who's in the next movie, I'll be there! I'm just hoping it'll be a VOY movie. :huh: :laugh:

Personally, I think the only time we had over-saturation on tv is when DS9 and VOY were both on.  First we had TOS, then TNG, then phased DS9 in as TNG was phased out...  then they decided to do both DS9 and VOY.  While I enjoyed both shows, I've noticed that that's when Trek went down hill.  It got too dilluted.  Hopefully, ENT can fix that.  While I loved having 2 Trek series at once, I think doing it again will kill off the franchise.  However, he's right about having too many shows effecting the movies.  Instead of going to the movies for a "new Trek adventure", some go for TNG, some won't go becuase it's not DS9 or VOY, and others won't go when they can just catch ENT on Wednesday nights.  Personally, I'm really into movies, so, regardless of who's in the next movie, I'll be there!  I'm just hoping it'll be a VOY movie. :huh:  :laugh:

While you refer to it as oversaturation, personally, I was in 7th heaven when there was more than one Trek show on. I think a lot of the fans felt the same way, as long as the quality of the shows was good.

I do think that it was all motivated by greed on the part of Paramount, as Trek seemed to be a big money-maker and they wanted to take advantage of it while it lasted. Maybe that was a mistake on their part, maybe it would have lasted longer and the movies been more successful had they spaced it out a bit more.

Also, I put the movies in an entirely different category than the shows. I go see the movies, not only because it's Trek, but because the special effects are so awesome on the big screen, and if it's done properly, the stories can seem bigger. Basically, they can go places on the big screen, where no one has gone before on TV. :clap:

Thanks, Jean-Luc!!

I think there will be another Trek movie. There have been statements to that effect, anyway. But maybe it will be something totally different, that none of us could even envision.

I don't think it's going to be in the very near future, either. It could be 4, 5, maybe even 6 years before we get another movie. And that might be a good thing, everybody will be very hungry for another excellent big-screen adventure by then.

Well I think that Star Trek has come down to a low point because when we had VOY and DS9 on at the same time. Star Trek was stretched too thin. When this happened Star Trek lost good stories - good story telling. Star Trek is in danger. Most fans probably don’t realize that, but it is. Nemesis had low ratings. ENT is on a dying network (UPN) and is getting low ratings. Rick Berman did a great job for TNG, but after that he took the “boom” that TNG gave us and then starched Star Trek out and that only hurt Star Trek.

I hope that ENT really kicks up during the third season, but from past experiences and from watching the second season finale I have many doubts that it will. If ENT continues to go down hill, then I think after ENT is over Star Trek needs a breathing break. (That is the only way it will ever kick back up again)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I agree totally about the oversaturation. There's way too much trek and all at the same time. They need to spread it out more. I do think the other shows were just as good as TNG, although TNG is still my favorite, but we didn't need them all at once. As far as Nemesis, it didn't fail because of the other series, it failed cause it just wasn't a very good movie IMO.

Just my opinion, don't kill me! party-smiley-004.gif

I agree totally about the oversaturation. There's way too much trek and all at the same time. They need to spread it out more. I do think the other shows were just as good as TNG, although TNG is still my favorite, but we didn't need them all at once. As far as Nemesis, it didn't fail because of the other series, it failed cause it just wasn't a very good movie IMO.

Just my opinion, don't kill me! party-smiley-004.gif

Personally, I wont kill you :lol:

This could have been a good trek movie.

They just took back too much things that make Star Trek what it is.

And put some that weren't (the boggie scene with the googles.. geez)

I agree in part with Frakes.Like I've said in posts on half-a-dozen trek sites,after Voyager there should have been a pause while the Star Trek writers banged out a couple of great film scripts(one for TNG,one for DS9--Voyager doesn't merit a film.Voyager was terrible,almost as bad as Enterprise!).It doesn't help that Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are so openly disdainful of Star Trek's history and traditions(and the fans).Hopefully on this message board(unlike the ones at startrek.com)I won't have my head bitten off becaus of my views on this matter. :blink:

Personally, I feel that Star Trek isn't what it used to be. During TNG, the stories were much more thought provoking. As of late however, episodes have been focusing on too much action and special effects. I don't think it's the amount of episodes written, I think it's the loss of the winning formula.

Captain Bolivar to Enterprise, one to beam up.

People need to stop comparring the shows to each other and let each of them be their own. DS9, VOY, and ENT will never be like TNG becuase they aren't TNG. While set in the same "universe", aside from continuity and fan-interrests, I say they should be given all the freedom they need.

Personally, I'm enjoying ENT. My only problem with the show is too much sexuallity and not enough episodes that put the viewers into deep thought. It's a shame, but a lot of people change the channel when they land a thought-provoking show. :blink:

As far as Nemesis, it didn't fail because of the other series, it failed cause it just wasn't a very good movie IMO.

Hmm..that doesn't make sense to me...shouldn't people ecide that after seeing the movie?? :blink:

I'm not saying yiu didn't see it, but I think it failed cause people just didn't wanna see it, reguardless if it was good or not.

I personaly Loved it, but that's me.

Sign in to follow this