Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Field Study Class on the Civil War...

So, I had an idea for a college-level Field Study class on the US Civil War. Given that most of the action in the Civil War happened within only about a quarter of the country, a class that lasted 7 or 8 weeks might be able to get to all of the major battle fields (There are a bunch in the Virginia/Maryland/Pennsylvania area) on the East Coast, and even to a few of the ones in the middle, such as Shiloh in Tennessee. If you had an opportunity, would you take such a class?

It sounds great. I've been to Gettysburg several times and have always learned something new.

I've been to a lot of Civil War Battlefields, I love them, I am amazed now at th French and Indian wars! I live 1.2 Miles away from Bushy Run Battlefield, this battle was important, if the british didn't win, we would have the Duquense Steelers instead of Pittsburgh Steelers

I think the two big ones to get to are Gettysburg and Chancellorsville. Chancellorsville was the last major Confederate Victory on the Eastern Front, and Gettysburg the first major Union Victory on the Eastern Front. Fredericksburg was also a major Confederate Victory. Also in the general area is Manassas, where the first real battle was fought, as well as Antietam, the bloodiest Single-Day battle of the Civil War.