Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

TrekPulse.com has shut down!

One of my favourite sites has announced it has shut down. I went to TrekPulse.com and this message was posted:

It is with deep regret that I announce today the closure of TrekPulse.com. This decision was certainly not an easy one to make but in light of recent events and lack of support I feel that this is necessary.

Certain factors have always made the operation of this website that much harder and less achievable. Among these are the high costs involved in running the site, the huge amount of time involved, the new server technical problems, the unnecessary politics involved in daily operations and last but not least the ever increasing and recent legal/copyright warnings and restrictions which make running a website based on Star Trek much more difficult and perilous.

I wish to extend my never ending thanks to the TrekPulse Staff for their dedication and support since the launch of TrekPulse and The Mess Hall before it.

Live Long and Prosper,

Rob, Annie, Adam

SciPulse Command Council

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It was one of my favourite sites as I mentioned because of the resources it had - scripts online, screencaps from most episodes of all the series, trivia information, etc. The loss of this site is sad indeed.

Edited by Takara_Soong

and last but not least the ever increasing and recent legal/copyright warnings and restrictions which make running a website based on Star Trek much more difficult and perilous.

Yet another company drilling holes in the hull of their boat to let some water on the deck out.

It's a shame really but what's most unfortunate is that it's probably the first of many.

How would, if at all, STF.net be affected by this? I know that at the footer of the Portal we do have a copywrite notice, but would that protect STF? And what about the endless number of simming websites out there, such as Tangofleet.org and Bravofleet?

and last but not least the ever increasing and recent legal/copyright warnings and restrictions which make running a website based on Star Trek much more difficult and perilous.

Yet another company drilling holes in the hull of their boat to let some water on the deck out.

As much as I loved TrekPulse it really did cross the line. They said they had over 10,000 screencaps from TNG alone and that was just the episodes - not the TNG movies. That's a little different that what happens here and at most sites. I really believe it was because of the massive volume of images, sound files, etc. that Paramount went after them.

Edited by Takara_Soong

How would, if at all, STF.net be affected by this? I know that at the footer of the Portal we do have a copywrite notice, but would that protect STF? And what about the endless number of simming websites out there, such as Tangofleet.org and Bravofleet?

No one from Paramount has contacted me to complain about anything so far, I don't know if Paramount "officials" have ever taken notice of us or not but we have had a few visitors and guests from within the "Trek Family" and they've never seemed to have any problems in fact if I recall correctly Rod Roddenberry seemed pleased with the site.

The other reasons that were given I can identify with though.

Certain factors have always made the operation of this website that much harder and less achievable. Among these are the high costs involved in running the site, the huge amount of time involved, the new server technical problems, the unnecessary politics involved in daily operations

The larger a site grows the more money it costs and the only real way to keep Paramount off your back is to run a "non profit" site, so the costs can be a huge factor in a site's lifespan.

like this site, VBG? I know you spend a pretty good chunk-o-change on this thing, but yet don't charge a membership fee, where other site-owners might.

like this site, VBG? I know you spend a pretty good chunk-o-change on this thing, but yet don't charge a membership fee, where other site-owners might.

Other than donations made by members, VBG pays for this site out of his own pocket. If anyone wants to help out by making a donation, just click on the PayPal icon that can be found in many of the mods' signature area.

Yeah, if we were to try to charge a membership fee or something like that then Paramount might set phasers to kill and come after us. I think their attitude toward fan sites is much the same as their attitude toward fan films, which Fox News reported on last year: http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?s=&s...ndpost&p=284117

As for the costs of running this site and donations, any donations are greatly appreciated and this site will continue to operate as long as my wallet can sustain it lol.