Sign in to follow this  
sea trooper

DS9: The Next Generation

So what do you think, they've done 3 series and 10 movies for the Enterprise so why not show more of the space station everyone loves? Of course it won't be called DS9: TNG, but with most of the old crew gone the new crew MUST have some adventures. The war is over and everyone is recovering, Bajor admitted into the Federation, and maybe Sisko and Odo can come back. If done right, and even thought up, it could be very good.

It's an interesting idea but I think it's too soon after the series ended, if they were to do anything at all with DS9 the only thing Niners would accept would be a continuation of "DS9: TOS"... meaning that they would have to pick up where they left off.

No, I think DS9 wrapped itself up nicely. They could have taken it longer, but that ending pretty much seals it.

What might be cool, along the same lines, would be a show involving the remaining characters and some of the TNG crew on new adventures. Voyager's return would happen a few seasons in, and some of that crew would come in... perhaps there would be a huge war, and the show would lose 2-3 main characters in different episodes... then Voyager would return, Janeway made an Admiral, the Maquis crew members tried and pardoned, and some of the Voyager crew join this new crew.

They didn't do 3 series of the Enterprise, they did one for the NX-01, one for the NCC-1701, and one for the NCC-1701-D featuring a cameo by the NCC-1701-C in one episode. Those are all as different ships as the Enterprise-E and Voyager... they're all different classes, it just happened that three were named Enterprise. It's kind of silly that three Trek ships were named Enterprise (more, if you count the minor ones), but that's a Navy tradition, and Starfleet is based on the Navy. The US Navy has an Enterprise now, she's an aircraft carrier if I remember correctly. Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" series mentions it a couple times. (And I laughed each time.)

What I would want is at least 1 feature film that brings Sisko back, my idea was always that since the Founders signed a peace treaty the Jem'hadar rebelled against them and are fighting the Founders as well as the Federation so Starfleet must join forces with the Founders to defeat the Jem'hadar. That's one idea anyway.

Not a bad idea VBG but I just can't see the Jem'Hadar ever rebelling against the Founders despite the fact they have shown their fallibility. It could be a very good premise for a movie though.

I think that if they were to make a DS9 movie, and I'd love it if they did, they would have to have certain characters return. Those being - Sisko, Kira, O'Brien, Worf and Bashir. It would be great to see them all return but the movie would have to have the above characters.

Not a bad idea VBG but I just can't see the Jem'Hadar ever rebelling against the Founders despite the fact they have shown their fallibility. It could be a very good premise for a movie though.

I think that if they were to make a DS9 movie, and I'd love it if they did, they would have to have certain characters return. Those being - Sisko, Kira, O'Brien, Worf and Bashir. It would be great to see them all return but the movie would have to have the above characters.

I would really want to see Odo shapeshift on the big screen! That would be cool.

As for the Jem'Hadar not rebelling, I could very well see it. They've done it before. It could be written that the Alpha's are the ones that rebell while the Gamma's remain loyal. Afterall the Alpha's have shown a "disrespect" for the "way of things".

No, I think DS9 wrapped itself up nicely. They could have taken it longer, but that ending pretty much seals it.

I'm not talking about restarting the series, I'm talking about a new series. New crew, same station. Set any number of years after DS9.

They didn't do 3 series of the Enterprise, they did one for the NX-01, one for the NCC-1701, and one for the NCC-1701-D featuring a cameo by the NCC-1701-C in one episode. Those are all as different ships as the Enterprise-E and Voyager... they're all different classes, it just happened that three were named Enterprise. It's kind of silly that three Trek ships were named Enterprise (more, if you count the minor ones), but that's a Navy tradition, and Starfleet is based on the Navy. The US Navy has an Enterprise now, she's an aircraft carrier if I remember correctly. Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" series mentions it a couple times. (And I laughed each time.)

They were basically the same ship. Not the same class ship, but they are all the same Enterprise. The Enterprise D used to be the Enterprise B and A, and the NX.

The Enterprise-D used to be the C, B, A, and NX? Sorry, not possible. Maybe you meant to word that a little differently, but the Enterprise-1701 (which, I concede, you did not name) was destroyed in Star Trek III, and hence, they created the A... But I do not believe that they took a significant amount of parts from the A to make the B, the B to make the C... maybe the C to the D as those are similar, but A to B and B to C are very different. And I can't speak of the NX-01 because I never watched ENT (only seen parts of the first episode). You also didn't name E, which is good because the saucer section crashed in Star Trek VII (Generations) and the bottom half was destroyed in a battle with [rogue] Klingons. But I highly, highly doubt the Ent-D has parts from the Ent-A and NX-01.

I couldn't see the Jem'hadar rebelling either, at least until VBG reminded us of the Alphas. The Alphas could well rebel, but the problem with that is their numbers are very limited. As it stood at the end of DS9, the Prophets weren't allowing Dominion ships into the Alpha Quadrant... all the Alphas were made in the Alpha Quadrant. Though I suppose the hypothetical film could show the complete eradication of the Alphas.

Would Odo be a part of a hypothetical film? No... I really got the impression from his character arc that his place was ultimately with his people. He tried to fight it for years, but once he got a taste, he couldn't resist.

How about this? The idea just came to me, so it's obviously not airtight: Voyager returns home. The Federation perfects the transwarp technology we saw in that one Voyager episode... the ship supposedly sent from the Federation with the new drive... A Shapeshifter spy in Starfleet steals a prototype ship, and takes the long way to the Gamma Quadrant. Fearing an all-out war, the Federation fits all its ships with this new drive and sends them to the Founders homeworld... again, the long way (let's just say the Prophets won't let any warships from either side through). An all out war finishes the Dominion once and for all. Release it as a trilogy, one a year for three years, like how Lord of the Rings was released. Feature a lot of starship battles, a lot of action, a good amount of romance (reunite Kira with Odo?), make Odo choose between his people and the Federation... and maybe end it by showing the Founders that the Federation isn't about conquest, that they all can live in peace (remember the Founders were hunted, have that chip on their shoulder), or... end it with the destruction of their world and the decimation of the Dominion.

I really can't see Sisko returning as a man. Maybe appearing, but I think he's where he needs to be.

Colm Meaney hasn't been in any of the movies (AFAIK). It would be a shame if his first one didn't do so well... Though he deserves it.

The Enterprise-D used to be the C, B, A, and NX? Sorry, not possible. Maybe you meant to word that a little differently, but the Enterprise-1701 (which, I concede, you did not name) was destroyed in Star Trek III, and hence, they created the A... But I do not believe that they took a significant amount of parts from the A to make the B, the B to make the C... maybe the C to the D as those are similar, but A to B and B to C are very different. And I can't speak of the NX-01 because I never watched ENT (only seen parts of the first episode). You also didn't name E, which is good because the saucer section crashed in Star Trek VII (Generations) and the bottom half was destroyed in a battle with [rogue] Klingons. But I highly, highly doubt the Ent-D has parts from the Ent-A and NX-01.

No one mentioned that the parts were carried forward because they weren't every ship was built with new parts but all are part of the Enterprise lineage. I have no idea where you got the idea that the someone said parts were carried forward.

And the Enterprise-D was destroyed in Generations, not the Enterprise-E. The Enterprise-E is featured in First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis.

The Enterprise lineage is as so:

Several "Old Earth" vessels: HMS Enterprize, U.S.S. Enterprise (Navy), the Space Shuttle Enterprise, and V.S.S. Enterprise (the Virgin Galactic Flagship), plus that one that existed before the NX-01 with the warp rings.

NX-01 (ENT)

NCC-1701 (TOS and refit in movies 1-3)

NCC-1701-A (movies 4-6)

NCC-1701-B (seen in opening sequence of Generations)

NCC-1701-C (seen only in Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG)

NCC-1701-D (TNG, Generations)

NCC-1701-E (FC, INS, NEM)

The Enterprise-J was seen a future sequence in Azati Prime (ENT)

But they are still the same Enterprise, correct? I'm not talking about ship parts, I'm talking about the namesake. All those Jack said were the same Enterprise, therefore there were 3 series and 10 movies of the Enterprise (well 4 was of the Enterprise crew). Get it?

But they are still the same Enterprise, correct? I'm not talking about ship parts, I'm talking about the namesake. All those Jack said were the same Enterprise, therefore there were 3 series and 10 movies of the Enterprise (well 4 was of the Enterprise crew). Get it?

The term "same Enterprise" really doesn't work. They are all just a series of ships with the same name. But that ties them together as part of a unique history in Starfleet.

The term "same Enterprise" really doesn't work. They are all just a series of ships with the same name. But that ties them together as part of a unique history in Starfleet.

Agreed. The only commonalities that the ships have is that they all have the same name and have al gone down in history with great reputations. The idea that the ships were simply upgraded from A to B to C etc. is not correct.

Oh and I just thought of something - Odo shapeshifting in 3D on a big screen, that I would like to see.

How about this? The idea just came to me, so it's obviously not airtight: Voyager returns home. The Federation perfects the transwarp technology we saw in that one Voyager episode... the ship supposedly sent from the Federation with the new drive... A Shapeshifter spy in Starfleet steals a prototype ship, and takes the long way to the Gamma Quadrant. Fearing an all-out war, the Federation fits all its ships with this new drive and sends them to the Founders homeworld... again, the long way (let's just say the Prophets won't let any warships from either side through). An all out war finishes the Dominion once and for all. Release it as a trilogy, one a year for three years, like how Lord of the Rings was released. Feature a lot of starship battles, a lot of action, a good amount of romance (reunite Kira with Odo?), make Odo choose between his people and the Federation... and maybe end it by showing the Founders that the Federation isn't about conquest, that they all can live in peace (remember the Founders were hunted, have that chip on their shoulder), or... end it with the destruction of their world and the decimation of the Dominion.

What reason would the Founders have to start another war? They finally saw the error of their ways and called for the cease fire in the Dominion War. What is so threatening about transwarp technology? Why would this spy have to take the long way? Why would the Prophets close the wormhole? As for Odo choosing between his people and the Federation - been there, done that.

I would love to see a new show based on the relaunch books. They start pretty much after the show ends and I would really love to see some of the new people they put in to replace the ones who left.

A new DS9 series?

It's got my vote.

Far as I'm concerned DS9 could have stayed on the air 7 more seasons, and seven after that, and....well, you get the picture.