Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Omnipotent Immortal Q

Do you think that Q would have been as popular if he were played by someone else besides John de Lancie or do you think it's de Lancie's portrayal of Q that makes him such a fan favorite?

I think that John De Lancie brought a lot to the character. However, it was also a very well written character so I think another good actor could have pulled it off.

It's hard to say for sure, but I don't think so. John De Lancie makes Q so believable as a mischeivous, but methodical creature. John's performance is just so animated, you'd almost have to believe that's how omnipotent beings might really act.

In the episode where Q is made mortal (I think it's "Deja Q"), they have another member of the continuum come in and give him his powers back. That portrayal showed a Q who, for want of a better term, was a complete spaz. Just too hammy, imo. Then again, not all Q are alike, but yeah, Q was a character that the writers had fun with. But I don't think anyone could pull him off as magically as De Lancie. I shudder to think of Robin Williams playing a Q. (I like Williams, but let's be realistic here).

Considering the fact that we've seen other actors playing other members of the Q continuum (I wasn't really impressed by their performances, except for Keegan de Lancie, but I don't think he counts B) ) - I don't think Q would have been as great if John de Lancie hadn't played him.

In the episode where Q is made mortal (I think it's "Deja Q"), they have another member of the continuum come in and give him his powers back.  That portrayal showed a Q who, for want of a better term, was a complete spaz.  Just too hammy, imo. 

360595[/snapback]

That was Corbin Bernsen who, at the time, was a major star playing Arnie Becker in the series, LA Law. When he appeared in that episode, LA Law was at its peak of success.

Considering the fact that we've seen other actors playing other members of the Q continuum (I wasn't really impressed by their performances, except for Keegan de Lancie, but I don't think he counts :biggrin: ) - I don't think Q would have been as great if John de Lancie hadn't played him.

I thought Keegan de Lancie gave a very good performance as Q's son. That's one of my favourite Q episodes.

I don't think I've ever seen John De Lancie outside of Star Trek. I'm not sure anyone else could have done Q as well as he did. Great character... annoying, but he was supposed to be.

John De Lancie was great at playing "Q" adding both Seriousness and fun to the role plus the fact of making appearances in 3 spinoff Series-TNG-DS9-Voyager.

"Omnipotent Immortal Q"!

---------------------------------

1."Encounter At Farpoint 1-2"

2."Hide And Q"

3."Q Who"

4."Deja Q"

5."QPID"

6."Tapestry"

7."True Q"

8."All Good Things---"

9."Q-Less" ("DS9")

10."Death Wish" ("Voyager")

11."The Q And The Grey" ("Voyager")

12."Q 2" ("Voyager")

:biggrin: :bow::bow: B)

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

John de Lancie did a fantastic job with the character and although it was a well written character I doubt it would have been as successful and likeable if played by anyone else.

I cannot watch a show with De Lancie acting in it without thinking, "Hey! That's Q!" Same as the case with Data and Spiner, I cannot see John as anything else other than Q. I think that's the best role he's ever played.

Edited by Takara_Soong