Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Why Hollywood Why? A Remake of Predator

What's this? They're remaking "Predator"?

Posted by Adam Weeks on October 28, 2005

I have to admit, this is the very first that I'm hearing on it, but according to the "Wrestling Observer Newsletter", WWE Superstar John Cena, coming up next in "The Marine" opposite "Nip/Tuck" star Kelly Carlson, is apparently up for the lead role in a remake of 1987's Arnold Schwazenegger starrer, "Predator".

A few months back, a scooper over at Latino Review touched on a remake, saying that John McTiernan has been offered the Directorial duties in an effort to lure him away from the "Thomas Crown Affair" sequel that he's been developing.

The "Observer" was one of the first to break the news about Cena's role in "The Marine", so I'm betting that there's a bit of "where there's smoke, there's fire" going on around this story. The WWE has pushed several of their Wrestlers for big screen projects as of late, with Cena, The Rock, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin & Kane all headlining new projects within the next few months.

Cena is in Australia at the moment for the "Survivor Series" tour, so hopefully we'll get some more info soon.

Writer Sam Park ["The Half-Way House"] had been hoping to lure Schwarzenegger back to play Dutch - one last time - in a "Predator 3", but seems FOX might have decided to go the remake route instead.

This is the worst news that I have heard today, they plan to do a remake of the classic movie "Predator"? And it's going to star John Cena? I don't know which part I hate the most that it's a remake or Cena will be the lead.

Predator is a classic film, it should never be touched again. I can see a sequel starring John Cena, be a remake? I say that if you can't get Arnold or Glover back, don't even bother with it. But Cena?! YOU DON'T SEE ME Guy?

In the words of Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy "No sir, I don't like it" B)

sorry guys, I had to blow off some steam B)

I agree. A remake of Predator is a terrible idea. As with most movies starring wrestlers, it will probably go straight to video anyway. I can see a sequel of some kind but not a remake...... B)

Hollywood is just devoid of fresh ideas, they are bone dry and have to go back and try to live off of past works.

As for Predator, a 1987 movie being a classic... I think that may be a bit strong of a description. I don't consider any movie made after 1980 to be "classic". They're just too young for that, and they're too young to be re-made.

The predator is gonna go into stealth mode and i can se it saying now, "you Can't See Me", if it happens i'm gonna give the 5 Knuckle shuffle to my dog!

I guess WWE INC. thinks Cena is another Rock

B) B) B) B) (I think that pretty much sums it up, one rolleye smilie for each member of my family that would do that if they read that. Me, my mother, sister and brother. My brother in law might roll his eyes to, but not definately sure about that).

I think remaking the 1987 film is a bad idea.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.p...gory=0&id=30959

This confirms Alien vs Predator 2.

So technically this will be Predator 4 and a second prequel to Alien.

As for the remake...it could work as long as they exclude that guy who kept making all those stupid vagina jokes, I was so glad when he died first.

Interesting enough, the original Predator featured 3 gubernatorial candidates, 2 of which were successful (Sonny Landham ran for Governor of New Jersey but lost). Carl Weathers did make a fictious run for governor of any state that wanted him on SNL, that was funny.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.p...gory=0&id=30959

This confirms Alien vs Predator 2.

So technically this will be Predator 4 and a second prequel to Alien.

As for the remake...it could work as long as they exclude that guy who kept making all those stupid vagina jokes, I was so glad when he died first.

Interesting enough, the original Predator featured 3 gubernatorial candidates, 2 of which were successful (Sonny Landham ran for Governor of New Jersey but lost). Carl Weathers did make a fictious run for governor of any state that wanted him on SNL, that was funny.

The third being ex-WWF superstar Jesse "The Body" Ventura :blush:

I dont class predator as a classic film even though it did break some ground in effects IMO it was just a really good action film,as for cena and the a remake..no no no...leave the film as it is :angry:

Whether a film is a classic, is, of course, subjective.

I'm mixed about a Predator remake. Remember, a remake is a tribute. It's not like they're going to stop selling the original. And I don't think there's very many people who think the Planet of the Apes remake is better than the original, and anyone who says out loud that they think it is is just shooting themselves in the foot. Remakes aren't exactly a bad thing. It's kind of fun seeing a movie you love done differently. Like a cover song.

I just don't have very high hopes for it. I may see it, if someone else rents it, but it probably won't ever be anywhere near the top of my rental list, never on my purchase list. Heck, I don't have the original on DVD.

The Predator is an important film in the Trek universe, being a film the Trek producers based an alien on, the Nausicaans. They don't look exactly like the Predator, but damn close enough. Matter of fact when I first saw them on Voyager, I thought the Predator was making a cameo, I didn't think they were an actual established race.

Well look at the music industry, it is no different. First you have these manufactured pop acts who really only dance and sing songs provided for them. Then over in the rock scene, you have these washed-up, otherwise dead groups, and the labels just mix and match, e.g. Rage Against the Machine (3 members, minus vocalist) + Soundgarden (vocalist) = Audioslave and Guns n' Roses (all but the vocalist) + Stone Temple Pilots (vocalist) = Velvet Revolver. I know some people may like these bands, but I don't... in any case, they're just recycling bands, not daring to do anything new and original. I discovered, via the Internet, an original enough band (Nightwish), and they have a pretty good fan following, but aren't supported by the major labels... the major record labels don't want to take a chance on a new sound, they only want to recycle the same old stuff. So those of us who are tired of it turn to the Net, away from the radio and TV, to discover good music. It's a shame there's such a gap between Hollywood and independent film.

Computers are making it easy for bands to get heard without label support (Evanescence did all their stuff on an iMac before getting signed), soon it will be easier for filmmakers, and computers will be more up to the task of helping with special effects and computer animation that I figure in 10 years or so, we'll have a lot more good independent films coming out, and attention will shift away from Hollywood... they'll have to do something original.

If Predator is not a classic, then what do you call Terminator 2: Judgement Day? Anyone who says T2 isn't a classic, line up to get slapped. :drool: All jokes aside, despite being 4 years newer than Predator (it came out in 1991, I was 11 when I saw it in the theater, and my mom took me, heh heh) it's a classic. Ask just about anyone my age (26) or within a few years, they'll usually smile and nod. It's a great action film, so well done, so groundbreaking, as far as movies which will be remembered in 100 years, it's up there for sure.

I was watching Hypa Space on Space channel and they had a report that rumours have surfaced about a remake of RoboCop.

Well, FWIW, IMDb has no mention of either a Predator or Robocop remake. And they tend to get pages up for movies as soon as they're announced.

There IS an entry for "Predator (2005)" but it's a 7-minute short film with a rather disturbing tagline... what they're making it sound like doesn't sound like something that would be legal in the US/UK.

I heard an interview with John Cena. He said he has heard nothing about a new Predator movie.... :biggrin: