Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Should "Star Trek XI" be called Star Trek?

Greetings, all! I was just thinking, so far, we've got 5 series, right?

Star Trek

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Voyager

Enterprise

Well, obviously, the TOS movies would be called Star Trek: Something, as they were based on TOS and the title had to indicate they were based on the show. We got 6 movies, the end. Then we moved on to the TNG movies. Well, we couldn't have The Next Generation: Something as that'd be down right confusing! So, the TNG movies ended up being Star Trek 7-10. Now, what if they do an ENT movie? I would like to think they'd be called Enterprise: Something. So, with this said... Instead of having Star Trek 30 down the road... :biggrin: Why not let Nemesis be the last Star Trek movie? Let's say DS9 were to get a movie. Instead of it being Star Trek XI, it could simply be Deep Space Nine: Something.

Well, what do you think about this?

i think it should be called star trek. why break the trend?

that just wouldnt make sense. that would be the star trek series trying to be something different so non-trek fans would go see it. keep it as star trek please.

Ummm....No they should not drop the title Star Trek from any of the new movies that are going to be coming out if they did that there would only be a small portion of people that would know it for what it is. I know that most people would figure it out but the casual viewer likes to see the title Star Trek it comforts them it lets them know that they are watching the correct movie or show.

Ummm....No they should not drop the title Star Trek from any of the new movies that are going to be coming out if they did that there would only be a small portion of people that would know it for what it is. I know that most people would figure it out but the casual viewer likes to see the title Star Trek it comforts them it lets them know that they are watching the correct movie or show.

All very vallid points. I didn't think of it like that. :laugh:

All very vallid points. I didn't think of it like that. :laugh:

Yea and you have to look at the ratings for ENT. When ENT first debued it had some really low ratings because not that many people know it was a Star Trek spinoff. Now no one cares that ST is not in the title because everyone has caught on. Do that to a movie and ST movie and you have just lost alot of money.

They dropped Star Trek from the new series Enterprise, why not replace Star Trek in the movie in favor for the series title like Deep Space Nine for example?

as JTKirk1 says, it could loose st alot of money. then star trek is actually in real trouble. it could cause alot of confusion.

and to me, dropping star trek would seem like an attempt to distance the series from star trek so new viewers will come. this would seem very cowardly to me and the producers should be able to think of ways to attract new viewers without detracting from the already established star trek way of doing things. dont change a good thing i say.

Ah, well, I was just looking at it as a means to compact the title, that's all. :laugh:

I understand that but when you really think about it that's not the best thing to do. But hey if they do it at least we will all know that it is a ST movie.

The title Star Trek is the entire franchise, the cash cow. Take that out and you take away a lot of the show/movie's identity. Like was already said, I think that's a bit of the problem with Enterprise's ratings.

Star Trek

Star Trek: Enterprise

It just looks and sounds better with Star Trek in it.

That was a big reason in the web address I registered when I did. People can identify it with a specific genre of show. And Star Trek is it's own genre now.

If it was just Deep Space Nine then a lot of TNG or VOY fans might not come. It's limited to just Deep Space Nine, or so the name implies anyway. Add Star Trek to the title and now it is part of the Franchise.

OK, VBG, that makes sense! :laugh:

While Enterprise may be the 5th series, I think the main reason for dropping the Star Trek title is becuase it is a prequal.

As for the ratings problem? From the fans I've spoken to, a lot either don't get UPN or won't watch becuase they feel it messes the timeline up too much.

OK, VBG, that makes sense! :laugh:

While Enterprise may be the 5th series, I think the main reason for dropping the Star Trek title is becuase it is a prequal.

As for the ratings problem?  From the fans I've spoken to, a lot either don't get UPN or won't watch becuase they feel it messes the timeline up too much.

It might be a prequal but it is still a ST spinoff, and with it messing up the time line it might but that doesn't mean they should drop the ST name. But with UPN most areas have it I know that because before I moved to OH I lived in a little town in NC and was able to watch it. But I still think they should have never droped the ST name from the show.

Well, what if you want to have the shows in chronological order?

Enterprise

Star Trek

OR

Star Trek

See how the 2nd is conflicting looking? Since it's set before Star Trek, then Star Trek wouldn't be part of the title. Make sense?

I understand what your saying but seeing as ENT wasn't made before ST they should have included the ST name to it.

Well, what if you want to have the shows in chronological order?

Enterprise

Star Trek

OR

Star Trek

See how the 2nd is conflicting looking?  Since it's set before Star Trek, then Star Trek wouldn't be part of the title.  Make sense?

In the "History Books" Enterprise is before Star Trek, yes. But in reality Star Trek was before Enterprise. You have to look at it from a stand point of business and from a stand point of the reality in which the show is being watched.

Besides without Star Trek there would be no Enterprise. Take Enterprise away and Star Trek can stand alone. Take away Star Trek and Enterprise has no history.

How about Star Wars? Episode IV comes well before Episode I but in Episode I it's still Star Wars.

Being a perquel shouldn't take the franchise name out of it. The show loses some of it's identity that way. I wonder how many people didn't see the first episode simply because they didn't know hat it was Star Trek.

It's too late now, but I for one wouldn't be upset if TPTB changed the title to include Star Trek. In fact I think they should.

I agree with VBG and JTKirk1, Star Trek should be a part of the title for each of the series and definitely all of the series. I know a lot of people that may not watch the series but will go to the movies and therefore would not recognize the movie if it did not have Star Trek in the title. If they removed that title it could also alienate some of the fans, by making them thiing that TPTB were trying to hide the fact that it was trek to get more viewers.

Well, they can allways change it to Star Trek: Enterprise if they wanted to. There was a show called Roswell High. Half way through the first season, it was shortened to Roswell. If you can shorten a series title, then surely you can expand it.

From what I read, there were 3 reasons they dropped Star Trek from the title.

1. They wanted more people to watch as a lot of people change the channel once Star Trek shows up in the credits.

2. It's a prequal, so they felt it shouldn't have Star Trek in the title since it's set before the original series.

3. They were trying to come up with another way to say "Star Trek" without actually saying it, this they named the series Enterprise.

Personally, I think #1 sounds dumb, #2 makes sense but isn't neccessary. #3 makes perfect sense. They wanted a compact title that implied "Star Trek" without saying it. That I can buy.

Well, they can allways change it to Star Trek: Enterprise if they wanted to.  There was a show called Roswell High.  Half way through the first season, it was shortened to Roswell.  If you can shorten a series title, then surely you can expand it.

1. They wanted more people to watch as a lot of people change the channel once Star Trek shows up in the credits.

2. It's a prequal, so they felt it shouldn't have Star Trek in the title since it's set before the original series.

3. They were trying to come up with another way to say "Star Trek" without actually saying it, this they named the series Enterprise.

Personally, I think #1 sounds dumb, #2 makes sense but isn't neccessary.  #3 makes perfect sense.  They wanted a compact title that implied "Star Trek" without saying it.  That I can buy.

It I had know idea what Star Trek was and I saw a show by the name of Enterprise I would automatically think that it was a show about the NAVY. So I honestly think they should expand the title to Star Trek:Enterprise. Even though there are alot of people that change the cannel when they see the name Star Trek in the credits the reason they do that is because they want to see something new and diffrent or because they really dislike anything that says Star Trek. I think that if they do pust ST into the title that the show will pick up more viewers. But like I said that is my opinion.

Well, they can allways change it to Star Trek: Enterprise if they wanted to.  There was a show called Roswell High.  Half way through the first season, it was shortened to Roswell.  If you can shorten a series title, then surely you can expand it.

Personally, I think #1 sounds dumb, #2 makes sense but isn't neccessary.  #3 makes perfect sense.  They wanted a compact title that implied "Star Trek" without saying it.  That I can buy.

Saying it's a Prequel so it shouldn't have Star Trek doesn't make much sense, First Contact took place well before Enterprise and the term was used there.

They should just rename it and give the show back it's identity.

Saying it's a Prequel so it shouldn't have Star Trek doesn't make much sense, First Contact took place well before Enterprise and the term was used there.

Agreed they should.

Actually, Star Trek: First Contact starts off in 2373, with characters from that time perriod, before moving on to 2063 for the durration of the movie. So, while it is set before the original series, it is a TNG story. Anywho, I see your point. :laugh:

How about Star Wars? Episode IV comes well before Episode I but in Episode I it's still Star Wars.

Being a perquel shouldn't take the franchise name out of it. The show loses some of it's identity that way. I wonder how many people didn't see the first episode simply because they didn't know hat it was Star Trek.

It's too late now, but I for one wouldn't be upset if TPTB changed the title to include Star Trek. In fact I think they should.

well the first star wars was actually called Star Wars: A New Hope.

when the yellow scrollie thing comes it says "Star Wars: Epidode 4: A New Hope"

but that's totally off topic.

i agree that the show loses identity without 'Star Trek'. it seems to me like an effort to distance the Enterprise from the Star Trek stereotypes, and therefore, the loyal fans. i dont like that. (still watch the show though. lol)

If you have a loyal fan base, why would you want to distance yourself from them? What, they don't want us to watch the show?

They can NOT call is STAR TREK all they want...it still is!

If you have a loyal fan base, why would you want to distance yourself from them? What, they don't want us to watch the show?

They can NOT call is STAR TREK all they want...it still is!

I agree whole heartedly.

I think Star Trek should be a part of the title, that is the way it has been for 10 movies now, why change now?? I however, did like the idea of them dropping the numbers off the title.

First, the title "Roswell High" was only used in the UK and while the series was in development in the US. When Roswell debuted in the US, it was simply known as "Roswell". I assume the "High" was (re-)added to the UK title if only to get UK viewers to know it was a show about high school kids, since I imagine not many Brits are familiar with Roswell and the alleged alien crash there. It could also be that "Roswell High" was the original title of the series of books upon which the TV series is based, IIRC. In any case, the TV show was always simply "Roswell".

Second, I personally don't care if "Star Trek" is present in the title of future movies or not. I just want it to remain consistent with the show upon which it is based. For instance, if it is an Enterprise movie, I want the title to be "Enterprise: xxx" where xxx is obviously the subtitle. If it's another TNG movie (or even, god forbid, a DS9 or Voyager movie [i say 'god forbid' for different reasons regarding DS9 and Voyager, but I digress]), it should be "Star Trek: xxx". Of course, should Enterprise change its title to Star Trek: Enterprise, I guess go with a "Star Trek: xxx" title for an Enterprise movie. Then again, if I had my druthers, Nemesis would be the final Trek movie for a loooooooooong time, until Paramount comes up with another good TV show to carry on making movies with after the TV show ends.

That makes sense. If it's based on TOS, TNG, DS9, or VOY, call it a Star Trek movie, but if it's based on ENT, call it an Enterprise movie.

Oh, I've kept up with Roswell. The first half of season 1, the title was Roswell High. It was about the 8th or 9th episode, I think, that the title was trimmed to Roswell so people wouldn't think it was a "kids in high school" show and think more about the "Roswell incident".

Since "Enterprise" is now "Star Trek Enterprise" I guess the whole question of "should Star Trek be in the title" was settled by TPTB. I still believe that if any Star Trek movie is made (DS9, Voyager or Enterprise) "Star Trek" Must and Will be in the title.

There has always been Star Trek in all the movies and shows. The reason B&b didn't add Star Trek, because they thought of being smart and get all this credit, it didn't work.