Bird Flu

worried?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. worried?

• Terrafied
    • Not at this point
    • Yes
    • No

The last flu pendemic (sp) like this was about 48 years ago and lasted 12 weeks.

If this get going it'll be much worse this time, 50 years ago there wasn't as many people per square mile meaning theres more contact with more people now, and our greatly improved means of travel means it will spread VERY quickly, more cars, more trains, more busses, more plains, more boats, more holidays.

So unless our greatly improved medical abilities can stop this, another loss for mankind, the Earths fighting back :)

I worry about my mother - but I worry about every flu - not just the bird flu where she is concerned.

Last I read - they were thinking it might spread by migratory bird routes so even if we didn't travel it wouldnt' make that much difference. And while some places may be more densely populated they all aren't AND people are more germ conscious than they used to be - we use less public transportation (at least in the US) and other facilities - we're more leery about contact.

And all of this presupposes that the virus will mutate to allow human to human transmission.

On the other hand - we did have a West Nile death in Florida yesterday - and if there is anything we have in Florida - it's mosquitos.

I don't care about swearing right now,

But

I am so (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) scared.

Aussies live right next door to asia.

I'm (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)ting myself

this is only what the BBC have said, but a variety of Avain (Bird) flu was responsible for the 1918 spanish influenza outbreak. It was no ordinary epidemic or pandenmic flu wich is in its genus both avian and human flu, nor plain old human flu. It was a species communicable desease. This is an Avian flue that those in direct contact with birds have picked up. they are waiting for it to be spread from one person to another. They are worried because it isn't one that needs to genetically splice itself to human flu to be communicable, but can in its present state kill people. They are worried because the 1918 out break killed 50,000,000 people, and that was without modern mass transport.

From what have heard from the news half of the people who had the bird flu had died from it.

I think it is something to worry about.

Even if this flu does not escalate into anything big, it does have the possibility to lead to something worse.

As time moves forward stronger and more dangerous diseases continue to evolve from other diseases as they adapt. Some of them appear to be adapting so fast we are hard pressed to keep up. That is what I worry about is that even if the bird flu is dealt with and does not become large scale, how long until it becomes something that we can't address?

Society has played a part in this over the past as people use the medications meant to fight of some of these diseases when they didn't really need to. Now some of them are resistant to medications that used to be able to fight them and we seem hard pressed at times to find replacements to the medications and treatments that the viruses and bacteria have become resistant or even immune to.