1. 1. Cancel the prom or not?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Other...

Ken Schram Commentary: A Principal's Gutsy Call

October 18, 2005

By Ken Schram ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - Gutsy call. Stupid? Maybe. But it's still gutsy. The principal of a New York high school says he's had it; had it with the booze, the drugs and the sex; had it with kids renting party houses, hotel suites and limos. He's had it with all the issues around the high school prom, so he up and cancelled the prom. When talking about his school, Kenneth Hoagland could be talking about almost any high school around here. Hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars spent on prom dresses, tuxedos, flowers, pictures, dinners... He paints a picture of excess that gets more exaggerated every year. He's got that nailed. A simple rite of passage has become what Hoagland calls a "sick prom culture." But is killing the prom going to bring things back to a more reasonable level? Don't think so. The booze, drugs and sex will be wherever the kids are - which will ultimately be as far as mommy and daddy's money will take them. In the end, I think schools have more of an obligation to kids, and cancelling the prom doesn't meet that obligation. Besides, the problem isn't the kids as much as it is over-indulgent parents. Confronting them, now THAT would be gutsy! Come to think of it, that's just what this guy has done. So, what do you think? Cancel the prom or not? Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

So, what do you think?

He has a point about all the stuff that surrounds the prom.. all the myths and such.. Personally, i wouldn't have cared if he had cancled the prom at my school( if he were my principal) as i would'nt have gone anyway.. It's just a dance, FGS.. It not like if you don't go to it you will die or something..

I don't think cancelling the prom was the answer. Providing the proper precautions and security goes a long way to having a safe prom.

I think the guys a freak.

That's the last possible thing to do in a situation.

Yeah, I do think Prom has gotten out of hand, but it's the parents who play the keeping up with the Joneses, so therefore, something needed to be done at a different level.

LOL, someone at another board asked if this guy had ever seen Footloose.

Why should schools provide proms? Or dances?

Why not let an independent contractor manage proms (hey a new career opportunity) - set the rules and everyone buy a ticket and if you dont' obey the rules get kicked out (and forfeit your money). Tax dollars don't get wasted and schools can devote resources to education.

Better yet, let each clique have their own prom - why perpetuate the myth that the prom court represents the entire student body? It's been forever since I was in high school but I still remember how much I hated all the social snobbery of high school. :lol:

oh nooo oh noooo i had a prefect prom at school and i got high after 1/2 glass of wine *starts to laugh histerically again*

Cancelling the prom is stupid. Besides, what's to stop the kids from having a prom regardless?