Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What if we constantly had new characters?

My dad was just saying, earlier tonight, that part of Trek's problem is that they keep the same crew members over the coarse of the series. He thinks it would be much better if they constantly were reassigning people and even got a new ship half way through the series.

Personally, I like that they keep the same core-characters through out the series with the exception of 2 or 3 cast changes that most 1-hour shows have. As for changing ships? I'd rather keep the same ship through out the series, then getting a new ship for the movies, or at least a new look. We did see the Defiant destroyed and replaced with a new ship of the same class. This was a first for Trek to blow up the ship and replace it durring the series.

Anywho, in conclussion, I like keeping the same characters and ship through the series.

What are your thoughts on this?

Stardate:213523.5

I think they should keep the same characters.If you keep changing characters then there is no character developement.And if you have no character development then you cant have a very good plot episode after episode.

As far as changing ships if it were written well and only happened once MAYBE twice in a series then I wouldnt mind.

I disagree with your father. I think part of what makes Trek so good, is that we get to know the characters. We start to understand how they think. Occasionally we do switch off and get new charaters and loose old ones. Like with the Dax's, and Seven & Kes.

I think they should keep the same characters.If you keep changing characters then there is no character developement.And if you have no character development then you cant have a very good plot episode after episode.

As far as changing ships if it were written well and only happened once MAYBE twice in a series then I wouldnt mind.

I completely agree !!!

Jean-Luc, I agree with you too!

I agree totally with your point of view.

I think it would be some kind of Star Trek daily soap if there would be changing characters, new casts, new ships and all that stuff. Imagine you miss some days or weeks (what is quite impossible when it's Star Trek on TV, everone watches, but it might happen) of the TV show. You turn on the TV and see a complete new cast and a new ship.

All you will think is : WHAT IS GOIN ON HERE :laugh: :lol: Where have all my lovely chars gone...

I love Star Trek because of being constant, havin constant crew members and introduce some new, but the Bridge crew stays almost the same for years.

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well, Law and Order, has shown some shows can survive character changes but that show is particularly plot driven. The same can't be said for Enterprise. However, there's a couple of characters I wouldn't mind losing from ENT or at least get one new one. Okay I know you're all tired of hearing it so don't read any further:

Click for Spoiler:

Get a competent female officer that isn't either a sex toy or an incompetent whiny-face

I agree too.

A little change is good, but not too much

We need a continuity to get to know characters

I think that they should not keep changing characters..to much confusion, I think for it to be a continuous series. Now if it were like The Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone and each ep could constitute a seperate short film...then that might work... Hope i am not confusing anyone??