• Great!
    • Good.
    • O.K.
    • Um...
    • Needs some work.
    • Bad.
    • The worst paper EVER!

The Use of the Word Jet in Modern Day America

Slang: A kind of language occurring chiefly in casual and playful speech, made up typically of short-lived coinages and figures of speech that are deliberately used in place of standard terms for added raciness, humor, irreverence, or other effect. It is one of the most influential parts of spoke language for any culture. A word that has one meaning in normal use could have one or several meanings in slang. Some slang words were created out of nowhere well others came for words that word already in use.

Back in the late 1930’s to1940’s the word jet was coined for a new type of aircraft. The aircraft of that time and beyond know as jets can go as fast or even faster then sound. These planes revolutionized travel for over the next sixty years. In the 1990’s the word jet was now starting to be used in slang. It was notice very little until the beginning of the new millennium when it was starting to be used by well known singers, actors, and in some television shows.

The word jet has a new meaning now a days, and like many slang words, the meaning of it could be very obvious to most, just because how the word came into being by it self, or it could mean something interlay different. Jet, in slang, means to leave in great hast. Seeing that jets themselves move very fast the slang meaning came from the speed attribute that jets have the word, for lack of a better word, fits. It is also good to note that jet does not mean that you’ll be leaving in a while, but right now.

Jet, in the slang use, can be used in everyday activities as long as it is use properly. When in a hurry use jet as a conversation ender and be on your way. A good example of this is, “I have to jet. I’ll see you later” or you can just say, “I have to jet!” and the leave. Make sure that when you use jet in its slang form that it does not become confused with other words or its other meaning. Also, never over use a slang word. A person should always add to their vocabulary constantly.

Being up-to-date with slang is key in today’s cultures. Knowing the meaning of the word and its use in everyday life can help you stay up-to-date with culture and trends. The word jet might have been created over sixty years ago, but just recently became slang. There is no telling what new word of today could be the slang of tomorrow.

Works Cited

1."slang: Definition and Much More From Answers.com." slang: Definition and Much More From Answers.com. Answers.com. 04 Oct. 2005 <http://www.answers.com/slang&r=67>.

2."Urban Dictionary: Jet." Urban Dictionary: Jet. 25 Mar. 2005. Urban Dictionary. 04 Oct. 2005 <http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jet>.

Nice job, Matthew. I find it puzzling, though, that you spelled everything correctly in your paper but you constantly misspell everything in your posts........................

Well it's not too bad but it's quite short for a college paper. Also your spelling and grammer need a bit of work, I'll be happy to tell you where you went wrong as regards to that if you want but you should review it yourself and see if you can find the mistakes first.

Your first paper is never going to be great, you just need a little practice. Once you get used to what they're looking for you'll find it a lot easier.

Nice job, Matthew. I find it puzzling, though, that you spelled everything correctly in your paper but you constantly misspell everything in your posts........................

357679[/snapback]

Spelled correctly yes, but the wrong word. :veryangry:

Sorry Captain, I sent a pm.

I voted great because I enjoyed it. Who cares about spelling and all that anyway?

I'm sure his college professor will care.

I got an 88% on this paper and thanks to everyones help (namely kor) on my other paper I should get an 95% on it!