Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Confused?

When Someone Talks Scientific On Trek, Do You Sometimes Find Yourself Confused?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When Someone Talks Scientific On Trek, Do You Sometimes Find Yourself Confused?

• yes- all the time
    • sometimes
    • never

I was just wondering if anyone else here ever gets confused when someone starts going into scientific details. When Geordi or some other engineers explain what is wrong with the ship and how they can fix it, some of the words they use go over my head.

I'm making this up, but when they say stuff like

"the warp manifold is being delayed by the zion flux...."

I'm sometimes like :veryangry: Anyone else get this way?

It confuses the hell out of me. :veryangry: I'm always like "yeah, whatever you say, dude" <_<

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if Geordi or Scotty talk like that, but still, it confuses me. :dude:

Edited by Takara_Soong

All the time! Whenever I hear it I just think "yeah ok fine whatever :veryangry: just don't blow up the ship". It's interesting, but I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

NEVER, and I'll tell you why. The technology in Star Trek is all fictional. Most of the technobabble is pure improvisation. They have to spit out something to make it realistic, but since none of it means anything, I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

There are some terms you should take note of, but they should be pretty obvious. Phasers and torpedoes, impulse and warp engines. There are some basics established for how these technologies work, that you can learn, for example that warp engines run on dilithium... but most of the time, they're just making stuff up with little regularity and consistency. They do a good job of it, but it's all faked... and it never confuses me. Not because I know what they're talking about - I do not - but because I don't let it distract me from watching/enjoying the show and understanding what the episode is really about. None of them are "about" the technobabble, that's just a means to an end. :veryangry:

It sometimes sounds complicated but if you break it down it makes quite a lot of sense. You get used to it.

Sometimes. And sometimes I know what they are talking about by either what the word sounds like it means (like you have to know what a plasma flow regulator does) or by what discussion that word is centered around.