Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Packers get their first win in a dramatic fashion!

Winless no more in Titletown! Someone, somewhere, in the NFL is probably watching the Packers/Saints gamefilm and going "What the hell...?" The Packers dominated the Saints, who are a decent team, all day long. The Packers gave up a field goal early, but then began to heap it on. 7 touchdowns, 5 offensively, 2 defensively, and 1 field goal contributed to the Packers win. The Packers' much maligned Defense came up with 3 Interceptions (Al Harris had 2, including 1 TD, and Nick Barnett had 1, which he ran back 95 yards for paydirt). Green Bay did not turn the ball over at all, and Brett Favre came up big with 3 touchdown passes. The Saints gave up a total of 5 turnovers. After the first quarter, Duece McCallister basically was a non-player, and with Joe Horn out, the Packers' pass defense had an easy job. Final Score: Green Bay 52, New Orleans 3.

Yes Jim, it was a great win. I've always said that, in sports, you have to chew up and spit out the weak sisters and well as slug it out toe to toe with the main competitors. But the win came with another hefty price tag, mainly losing Najeh Davenport for the season with a broken ankle. For those who watched the game, it was an ugly sight seeing Najeh lift his foot off the ground and seeing it hang at a 45 degree angle that was just not natural. Green Bay's best hope this year for a decent running game will be for Ahman to heal before the game in two weeks against the Vikings and that Tony Fisher, William Henderson and the rest of the delpleted running corp will pick the slack. It's a good thing that the rest of the division sucks as well right now. Green bay has the same record they did last year at this point of the season and still won the division. Perhaps, it'll happen again but the team needs to stay healthy from here on out to have any chance of making some noise in the playoffs.

I haven't watched my DVD of the game yet but the score was surprising. I expected the Pack to win though. I was looking at their schedule a couple days ago and I've pinpointed maybe 5 games that I think they'll win this year if they keep playing the way they did in the first 4 games.

I honestly think that they need to do some things that I know they won't, Favre needs to move to the background (sit on the bench) and the young kid needs to start getting some experience and they need a new coach.

I know they won't bench Favre, so this season is basically a "write off" as Brett Favre's "Farewell Tour" and firing the coach won't happen before the season is completed but I won't be surprised to see him gone come January. Look for Brad Childress to interview for the position.

I'll disagree on one thing, VBG. They can't afford to bench Favre. I don't think that you can write this season off for the Packers, not with them being in the NFC North, where EVERYONE sucks. The problem isn't Favre. The problem is the supporting cast, and honestly, Brett Favre is all that's holding this offense together.

This is Brett Favre's Stats for 2005, according to Yahoo! Sports...

QB rtg 87.6 Comp 120 att. 186 % 64.5 Ydg 1256 ypg 251.2 ypg 6.8 td 12 int 8

In case you were wondering...

Brett Favre is 4 points above the League Average for Quarterback Rating, and leads the league in Touchdowns thrown. He is 7th on the overall list for Yardage.

QB rtg 87.6 Comp 120 att. 186 % 64.5 Ydg 1256 ypg 251.2 ypg 6.8 td 12 int 8

:veryangry: If thats what you have to know when watching football... well, lets just say im not going to be watching football.

I'll disagree on one thing, VBG. They can't afford to bench Favre. I don't think that you can write this season off for the Packers, not with them being in the NFC North, where EVERYONE sucks. The problem isn't Favre. The problem is the supporting cast, and honestly, Brett Favre is all that's holding this offense together.

This is Brett Favre's Stats for 2005, according to Yahoo! Sports...

QB rtg 87.6 Comp  120  att.  186  %  64.5  Ydg  1256      ypg 251.2      ypg 6.8 td 12 int 8     

In case you were wondering...

Brett Favre is 4 points above the League Average for Quarterback Rating, and leads the league in Touchdowns thrown. He is 7th on the overall list for Yardage.

357416[/snapback]

12 TD's with 8 INT's isn't a good TD to INT ratio at all. 8 INT's for a season is good, but not 8 in 5 games. Going by Passer Rating Favre is ranked 14th, 87.6 isn't a great rating.

Taking the Saints game out of the picture for a minute, because the Saints really aren't a good team when you look at Favre's numbers you see where I'm coming from.

He was 101/159 for 1041 Yds with 9 TD's and 8 INT's. 63.52% isn't a bad completion percentage but a 5.03% INT percentage is pretty bad. His passer rating for those 4 games was 80.2, which again isn't really that good for a full quarter of the season.

As an outside observer that doesn't have an emotional motivation in seeing him stay I think it's time for him to step aside, I know he won't though and I know they won't sit him down. I honestly believe that it was selfish of him in 2003 to continue playing with his thumb the way it was and he has cost the team victories.

Anyway, like I said earlier this will be his "Farewell Tour" season and the Pack will win 5 maybe 6 games. If they win more then 8 I will be really surprised.

Either way, win or lose I think this is his last season. Which come to think of it I'll have his full last season on DVD.