Sign in to follow this  
LordOfTheBorg

"Rednecks"

I guess I am consider being redneck lol. I am from the south. South Carolina originally but I live in GA. Lot of Rednecks here. I am not racists. I get accused sometimes when me and my black friend pick on each other. Like people don't know we are joking around lol

I guess my question is to VBG and others who consider the term to be only negative.

Are you saying you consider Jeff Foxworthy's humor in the same light as rappers using the 'N' word? I had thought that he (Foxworthy) had taken control of a term that had almost exclusively been used negatively, and made it into a cultural term with endearing qualities. It is like he has embraced a culture by changing and enlarging the context in which the word is used.

I have never seen humorists do the same with the 'N' word. When black comedians use the 'N' word in their humor, it is still meant to be something negative, and is used in a context where it is still putting someone down.

As I said above, when I was growing up if someone said redneck, they meant a racist. I do not think the term is exclusively used that way anymore.

Also this is the first time I have heard that anyone considers the term as pejorative as the 'N' word. I will be careful not to use it.

But again, what about JF's usage?