Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

BRAVO NEW JERSEY!

New Jersey Sues Three Oil Companies

'The Goal Here Is to Protect Consumers' Hard-Earned Money'

By ANGELA DELLI SANTI, AP

TRENTON, N.J. (Sept. 27) - New Jersey has sued three oil companies and several gas stations for allegedly gouging drivers during Hurricane Katrina.

AP

New Jersey gas prices hit their highest-ever levels on Labor Day at an average of $3.16 per gallon of regular.

Talk About It: Post Thoughts

The lawsuits accuse Hess, Motiva Shell and Sunoco with artificially inflating gas prices and for increasing prices more than the once-a-day legal limit. Independent gas station operators selling Hess, Shell, Sunoco and Citgo brands were also sued.

"The goal here is to protect consumers' hard-earned money from artificial inflation and economic exploitation," Attorney General Peter C. Harvey said Monday. "Some of these dealers were using Katrina to artificially inflate the price, because there were sufficient supplies that this kind of pricing did not have to occur."

The civil action is believed to be the first in the country in response to recent rising gasoline prices. The defendants are accused of violating New Jersey's motor fuels and consumer fraud acts.

The investigation began after consumers started complaining about steep and sudden rises in gas prices just before Labor Day weekend. New Jersey gas prices hit their highest-ever levels on Labor Day at an average of $3.16 per gallon of regular.

The complaint also claims that drivers were charged for more gasoline than they received, or that they were charged for premium gas but given regular.

The lawsuits seek restitution for customers who were overcharged, Harvey said.

Anne Peebles, a spokeswoman for Motiva Shell, said she did not know of the lawsuit but said the company does not "condone price-gouging and we work closely with local officials in any investigation."

Jay Wilson, a vice president at Hess, said he hadn't seen the suit and would not comment. Sunoco did not return calls.

Fines are up $10,000 for Consumer Fraud Act violations and up to $200 for violating the Motor Fuels Act.

I hope every single state follow the lead of New Jersey. My hat is off to the brave legislators there. These oil company leeches with their obscenely high profits need to be put in their place!

I would urge everyone here to contact their Mayors,Governors and State Senators and urge them to follow the fine example set by the great state of New Jersey. This should be a class action suit involving every state in the union.

gas isn't that high where I live. In the town in Georgia where I live gas is only $2.69 a gallon.

You don't think that $2.69 a gallon is too high? You have been "conditioned" to think that way my friend. Just last year, $2.00 a gallon was unheard of. The oil companies raise the price way up until we can't take it anymore and protest too much, then they lower it just a little so we think we are now getting a deal.Don't fall for these mind games!

it's very true it's high, no question about it. But still, $2.69 is cheaper than other places.

I do wish that we could go back to under $2

I try hard not to be brainwashed :dude:

New Jersey should start allowing self service stations.

354765[/snapback]

It doesn't matter. Full serve in Jersey costs about the same as Self-Service here. New Jersey, with full service only, averaged $3.16 per gallon over the Labor Day weekend. Here in Maryland, we were paying $3.55 for Self-Service.

New Jersey should start allowing self service stations.

354765[/snapback]

It doesn't matter. Full serve in Jersey costs about the same as Self-Service here. New Jersey, with full service only, averaged $3.16 per gallon over the Labor Day weekend. Here in Maryland, we were paying $3.55 for Self-Service.

354793[/snapback]

I am really surprised that Maryland got that high. It used to be that Maryland was cheaper than Pennsylania. It was somewhere between $2.95 and $3.27 per gallon in my area.

It may help to go with the suit.

Gas prices here are not as high as they are elsewhere, and NO I am not brainwashed into thinking that $2.87 is a good thing. Personally I think it stinks, especially since I have a competition next week and of course have to pay for the gas that will get me there and back.

But one thing that ticks me off more then the gas prices continually fluctuating here, is the fact that the gas station nearest to where I live now put teeny tiny little scribbled on pieces of receipt paper on to their pumps.

Why these papers make me angry is you go to pump your gas and you cannot.. then a crackly couple of sounds from the speaker and you still cannot pump gas. Finally I noticed the little children marker scribbles.. "Please Pre-Pay or use credit card. Thanks"

They have four pumps that are pre pay only, but suddenly they made it so ALL of them were pre paid. And those papers??? Who the heck would notice them when teeny boppers are always putting stickers and notes on the pumps?!?!?!?! :hug::dude:

There were about 8 to 10 of us all ready to kick some clerk butts, because they thought their scribbles were a good idea. And smarmily said that they were "sorry for the inconvenience" (one clerk went as far as laughing at this one trucker about him being upset about the situation). Pretty much all of us were planning to purchase items in the store as well as get gas... so our debit/credit cards had to be used twice in the same damned spot. Yeah, you can pre pay... but with the way gas prices are, $10 is NOT going to get you much of anywhere! So all of us paid at the pump. Then had to bring out the cards or dig out cash to buy whatever it was we were going to get.

Edited by Yillara_Skye

Democrats Seek Penalties for Gas Price-Gougers

WASHINGTON (Oct. 8) - Oil executives who engage in price-gouging should face tough criminal penalties, Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut said Saturday in the Democrats' weekly radio address.

Expanding on a theme outlined a week earlier by Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., in the party address, DeLauro hammered the Bush administration's energy policy. She also decried its failure to act on more than 7,000 complaints of price gouging at the nation's gasoline pumps.

"America's leaders did not stand for price gouging during World War II," DeLauro said. "Nor should we today."

DeLauro said Hurricane Katrina exposed a shortsighted energy policy. With the winter approaching and fuel costs skyrocketing, she said there are concerns that some people cannot afford to heat their homes.

DeLauro said long-term solutions include renewing a commitment to tax credits for hybrid vehicles, increasing fuel efficiency standards for cars, and investing in ethanol, biofuel and hydrogen fuel cell technology.

"These new strategies can harness the power of American ingenuity and our economy to solve our energy problems, grow our national economy and liberate America from its dependence on Middle East oil," she said.

This is great news. I urge everyone to call or email their government representatives and urge them to join the fight against these price gouging oil companys!

New Jersey gas prices hit their highest-ever levels on Labor Day at an average of $3.16 per gallon of regular.

Wow, those people in Jersey have got it made! We barely got our gas prices down to that around 2 or 3 weeks ago!