Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Borg As Allies?

Do You Think The Borg Could Eventually Become Allies With The Federation?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think The Borg Could Eventually Become Allies With The Federation?

• yes
    • no
    • other

If there were more Borg in the future like Hugh, the group with Hugh and Seven that had independent thought, do you think we would see more Borg in Starfleet? Do you think that the Borg could eventually even become part of the Federation? Look how many enemies of Starfleet are now allies, could it be possible for the Borg to eventually become the same, allies?

I really doubt it. The Borg allying themselves with anyone contradicts their prime directive. Their sole function in life is to assimilate other cultures to improve themselves in their never ending quest for perfection. Offshoots like Hugh are a different story. Those individuals, if cut off from the collective, could possibly be integrated into society.

that's the same way we thought about Klingons on TOS but look at the 24th century and Worf. The Klingons helping the Federation during the Dominion War and so on. So I don't count it out, especially if more and more become seperate from the collective. On the TNG episode "Descent" there were probably at least thirty Borg no longer with the collective

not to mention the Borg children on Voyager

Edited by Gamera

But is a Borg who is no longer part of the collective really still Borg.

In a number of episodes in Voyager, the behaviour and ideology of drones who left the collective reverted back to their original species. Seven of Nine was becoming more and more human and less and less Borg over time. In the episode Survival Instinct the three former drones were not behaving as Borg but trying to become their pre-assimilation selves. And in Collective the children who came out of the maturation chamber early (Icheb, Mezoti, etc) were also less Borg and more their original species. Perhaps over time, Hugh and the other Borg in Descent would have had the same thing happen.

The Borg did actually have a temporary alliance with Star Fleet against Species 8472 in Voyager so temporary alliances, as long as they benefit the Borg, may not be unheard of in the future.

As for the Borg joining the Federation - not a hope. The only way this would have happen is if they assimilated everbody in the Federation and then decided to change their name from the Borg to the Federation.

It's highly unlikely that the Borg would join the Federation as a member. They don't play by anyone's rules but their own. They would only consider an alliance if it benefitted them (see Voyager, when Janeway negotiated passage through Borg space in exchange for the weapon to fight Species 8472) and not otherwise.

As was said before, liberated Borg aren't Borg, just Borg-enhanced. They're severed from, and therefore do not speak for the Collective.

Then again, I think the Borg Collective is really the Borg Queen... So if there were a way to convince the Borg Queen to change her ideology, the entire Collective would change.

I always thought the Borg represented "a certain religion" whose goal is to force everyone into their same conservative ideology, and the Borg allying with the Federation would be like this religion which shall not be named accepting people from other religions as more than just cultists and devil worshippers... and I strongly doubt that will happen IRL.

The Borg are villains.

That is their reason for being in Star Trek.

Things like "Hugh The Friendly Borg" and "Seven Of Nine, Sex Bomb Sex Bomb...You're A Sex Bomb!!!!!" practically ruined the Borg as an effective villain.

Making the Borg allies and friends with the Federation is like the shark from Jaws becoming a vegetarian. It's just pointless.

When the next Star Trek series comes around, the Borg need revamping as a very dangerous threat once again. Like I've said before I think the "Reapers" from Blade II are the best way to think of the Borg. Agile, violent, vicious and totally single minded, more like vampires.

If they get you, you become one of them.

Now, that's scary.

Given enough time and positive effort, anything is possible. Imo one of Treks strength is showing Humans ability to overcome great obstacles, if they could not; we'd be dead by then.

In order for the people portrayed in Trek to reach their point in time, many one time enemys became allys and so should the Borg someday.

New, better villains could then be created for which without our being allys with Borg (and they with us) both they and us would have perished in face of the new threat.

If not that then I'd rather see Humanity be assimilated as an end to the saga rather than watching constant conflict which never reaches resolution. :veryangry: