• Great Chicago Fire
    • San Francisco, 1906: earthquake and fire
    • Pearl Harbor
    • THE GREAT ALASKA EARTHQUAKE: MARCH 27, 1964
    • Three Mile Island
    • Hurricane Andrew (fl)
    • September 11
    • Hurricane Katrina

Now look back it on History, not just recent memory what is the worst Disater to happen in the United States, I would say The Civil War, sure it was good Slavery was ended, but with all the americans killed, by fellow americans, its very sad

I don't consider wars disasters. I think the term applies to something unplanned. So I picked September 11 because not only did a lot of people die, that event changed our lives forever.

Alaska Earthquake... cause a Tsunami that hit many places in the Pacific rim.

Edited by Capt_Picard

I wouldn't consider the Civil War or Pearl Harbor to be disasters, there were "disastrous" occurences but in the case of the Civil War there was a reason and a cause behind it. In the Civil War one of the greatest goods to come out of it was the end of slavery, in the case Pearl Harbor it forced the US to enter WWII and help put an end to Hitler's murderous reign and that of the Japanese empire. Of course you also have to consider the fact that Pearl Harbor didn't happen in the United States.

I was only alive during 3 of them, 2 I was involved in. Some of them I haven't even heard of so I don't feel I can judge any.

Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster I can recall.

I remember Mount St.Helen's erupting,the '89 quake in 'Frisco,and some of the others.But none of them,IMO,were as bad.

Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster I can recall.

I remember Mount St.Helen's erupting,the '89 quake in 'Frisco,and some of the others.But none of them,IMO,were as bad.

350497[/snapback]

Katrina is for sure the worst Natural disaster, I remember the 89 quake. I was in the Army in Texas at the time and I remember sitting in the barracks watching TV and being amazed that anyone could have survived in that sandwiched highway overpass.

I think Katrina will also have widespread consequences. 9/11's consequences did involve some domestic changes (Including how Emergency Personnel such as Firefighters and Policemen respond to these incidents) but it's legacy will be the foreign policy aspect. is also expected to have killed more people than Pearl Harbor, 9/11, and (I think, but I will do some checking) Andrew put together. Katrina gets my vote. The consequences will have to do with how we respond to natural disasters and the like domestically.

The Civil War doesn't count as a disaster, it was, however, a human tragedy. According to a song by Darryl Worley about the Battle of Shiloh, it's "Brothers killing Brothers, Fathers slaying sons..."

Even though I have a great deal of interest in the events of Pearl Harbor, I definitely have to vote for 9/11.

Even though I have a great deal of interest in the events of Pearl Harbor, I definitely have to vote for 9/11.

350690[/snapback]

Yeah, I have a lot of interest in Pearl Harbor also but even if we include acts of war as disasters Pearl Harbor didn't happen in the United States so it really wouldn't qualify.

I would say that the worst disaster in American history is probably our arrival here in the first place since between 1607 (Jamestown) and 1900 it resulted in the deaths of some 6,000,000 Native-Americans and the enslavement of more then 40,000,000 Africans.

Our involvement in World War 2 is often overstated given that our loses were slight (325,000 killed) compared to the other major powers. Soviet Russia lost 20 million men fighting the Germans and the British lost more then 1 million. That means that for every one of our guys who got killed, the Russians list 60!

I would say that the worst disaster in American history is probably our arrival here in the first place since between 1607 (Jamestown) and 1900 it resulted in the deaths of some 6,000,000 Native-Americans and the enslavement of more then 40,000,000 Africans.

Our involvement in World War 2 is often overstated given that our loses were slight (325,000 killed) compared to the other major powers.  Soviet Russia lost 20 million men fighting the Germans and the British lost more then 1 million.  That means that for every one of our guys who got killed, the Russians list 60!

354835[/snapback]

Well being part Native American )my real moter was cherokee) I don't think those are disasters but a tragedy, and Don't get me startedon my views of African Americans screaming about their rights, they can return to their Homeland if they wanted, my people can't,.....enoughof my rant

I'd have to go with September 11th because of not only the effect it had on the day but what resulted afterwards because of it. The American Civil War I'd always seen as positive and necessary.