Sign in to follow this  
removed

My thoughts on TMP

I've just recently purchased ST:TMP Director's Edition, and I have to say, I love this movie!

Wow! It just has such a different fell to it than the rest of the Star Trek movies. It is alot more mysterious and thought provoking than the rest.

To make it even better is Jerry Goldsmith's score. Just like the movie, it is very mysterious. It really shows you how amazing V'Ger really is by using only the music.

The new special effects rocked! I was afraid that they would totally contrast with the original effects and look totally off, but they did a great good of blending them in.

I really got over the whole 1970's look as well. I thought at first that the uniforms really sucked, but actually they are not all that bad. The browns and oranges did look outdated, but it went well with the uniforms, and it actually looked fine in the Recreation Deck. (The orange carpet looked really out of place in the corridors on the housing decks, though.)

I loved the story. Its a great break from the usual Star Trek space-fighter style. I haven't seen TMP in so long, that i forgot how much i liked it. It was incredible, and very well written. It is a very re-watchable movie, despite the sometimes VERY VERY long and strung-out sequences showing the ships.

All in all, i give this movie an 8.5/10. It is, in my opinion, one of the best movies in the series. :)

I watched it last wednesday. I love the retro feel to it. As i have already stated in a previous post, 70s design is back in fashion. Tall lights, oranges and browns are all back in with interior design. And the clothes looked nice and cool and breezy to work in. Very laid back and less militaristic than the red ones. Though if you were a fella with small tackle. Eeek. Too revealing!.....

I really wasn't going to buy the Directors Edition of Star Trek TMP..I remember at the time being disappointed with this movie. And of course it has received a lot bad comments in the past. But it is Star Trek so I did buy this DVD a short time ago. I was pleasantly surprised. I actually like this movie a lot. The story is quite good and I like the way it gave each of the main characters their own 'entrance'...(Kirk, Enterprise, McCoy, Spock)..I have watched this DVD several times and it is a wondeful addition to my Star Trek DVD collection...

I have always thought that TMP was underrated to a degree. I also recognize why it is by no means the best ST movie.

TMP was unique in mystery and it was unique in how it “spread out” so we could hear the really good music and see the special effects. This is why I always viewed this movie standing next to 2001. 2001 had lots of “unanswered questions” and made that movie unique. TMP also did this, but like I said before in a pervious topic I think TMP is better then 2001 hands down.

Other ST movies like ST IV had mystery. ST IV had whales and looked into the mystery of how they communicate and the mystery of the space object . . .. That’s another movie that had lots of mystery and was no doubt one of the best ST movies (if not the best)

However, despite all of this TMP hindered the characters for the special effects. The show took away from the qualities and chemistry that TOS had on TV.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I bought it when it First came out and watched it 2 or 3 times I think. Once was with commentary on. It was more enjoyable than the Original Version, I'll agree to that.

I really liked the Directors Edition, especially with the Okuda text on. It gives it a some what "Pop up Video" feel. Also I thought the new shots of the Enterprise really gave the entire film a forward momentum feel. I remember seeing the original version and noticed that they stared a lot at the screen with out doing much. Some how the Directors Edition paces it faster so that part isn't as long.

I really liked the Directors Edition, especially with the Okuda text on.  It gives it a some what "Pop up Video" feel.  Also I thought the new shots of the Enterprise really gave the entire film a forward momentum feel.  I remember seeing the original version and noticed that they stared a lot at the screen with out doing much.  Some how the Directors Edition paces it faster so that part isn't as long.

ya ive really enjoyed the text commentary on all the se dvds. you learn fun little facts and makes the movie more interesting the second time around.