Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

VOY Cameos in the TNG Movies

Star Trek: First Contact

EMH makes a cameo in Sickbay with Dr. Crusher.

Star Trek: Nemesis

Admiral Janeway makes a cameo on a view screen with Captain Picard.

What did you all think of the 2 cameos? I loved both, and with ST:FC, it was a full surprise, where as with ST:N, I knew it word for word, but loved seeing her on the big screen. My Dad hates Janeway, so I got a kick out of her being thrown in his face like that! ;)

Anywho, anyone notice that in ST:FC, it's TNG & VOY doctors where as in ST:N it's TNG & VOY captains? ;)

I enjoyed the two cameos. I especially enjoyed the Doctor's line, "I'm a doctor, not a doorstop."

I hadn't made the connection that it was Voy and TNG doctors and captains, but that is fascinating.

Yeah, of all the characters for the EMH and Janeway to interract with, they chose their TNG counterparts. ;)

Oh, here's a little timeline for when the movies take place in relation to Voyager. ;)

Star Trek: Voyager - 2371-77

Star Trek: First Contact - 2373

Star Trek: Nemesis - 2379

Yeah, of all the characters for the EMH and Janeway to interract with, they chose their TNG counterparts. ;)

I wonder if that was intentional?

True, I'm sure they had a doctor on the Defiant. Bashir could have made an appearance.

Exactly, he could'a had a few scenes with Dr. Crusher in sickbay and on the bridge, nothing major to detract from the TNG cast. Think about the sickbay scene though... Dr. Crusher and Dr. Bashir escaping while the EMH destracts the Borg who later show up on VOY! ;)

Well, yeah, they evacuated the Defiant. It's only logical that he's there. And maybe Jadzia and O'brien too.

OK, well, let's not get carried away....... ;)

I dug the EMH and Bev..because he was actually there ( as much as a hologram can be ) Janeway appeared on a viewscreen..and that irked me..maybe Mulgrew was unable to commit to more of a cameo.

Stardate:213501.8

I think i remeber reading somewhere that Colm Meany(O'Brien)was offered a chance to appear on FC on the bridge with Worf but turned it down.

I also loved the line with the doctor"Im a doctor not a doorstop"very respectful to Mccoy.

I liked both of the short appearances but in fact I like the EMH very much (my fave VOY char) so I think his appearance was better ;)

It is great to have some familiar VOY faces around in TNG movies...

Mrs. Captain Picard

I'm not sure if you would count this as a cameo, but Ethan Phillips, who played Neelix, was in FC as the host in the Holodeck scene.

I like cameo like that.

It makes us remember that Star Trek is a universe and other things are happening around :-)

Probably.  TNG & EMH doctors, then TNG & VOY captains.  My question is, how come none of the DS9 characters made a cameo?  ST:FC was the perfect chance for a DS9 character to join Worf and the TNG crew for a movie. :)

It would have confused the public and stretched the already limited lines that were available to the tng characters. Two doctors is a little surplus to requirements. Also i'm sure the DS9 'add-on' would have pushed up the budget for making the film. Film makers have to be realsitic and cannot pander to the whims of fans. They have to reach a balance between what looks good and what is feasible.

Do you really think the general public is stupid enough to not understand that a character from another series could join the adventure? From their point of view, he'd be a "new character", so why would they be confused, eh? However, you do have a point about the other characters getting a little less dialog.

Do you really think the general public is stupid enough to not understand that a character from another series could join the adventure?  From their point of view, he'd be a "new character", so why would they be confused, eh?  However, you do have a point about the other characters getting a little less dialog.

Yes actually, especially when it comes to TNG. The TNG characters are neter known than the others as that series had more mainstream appeal and following. To throw in Ezri Dax may be obvious to us Trekkies but not the public at large. That is why I think that Star Trek movies need the well known characters to survive. With a DS9 based movie the general public will look and say, who are they!

I disagree. I know people who aren't fans and know enough about DS9 and VOY so that if they watched a movie based on the series, they wouldn't be confused. All they have to do is make the movies stand-alone like the TOS and TNG movies so someone who didn't follow the series could enjoy it, and if the story's good enough, you just might have a winner!

People go to the movies every day without knowing who the characters are, (unless it is a summer of sequels :laugh: ) I know I've done that. If the story rocked, I don’t think it would matter to the attendees that they are looking at strangers.

Here's a thought. While Picard and Janeway were talking via view screen, would anyone have liked it if Picard asked how so'n so was doing? You know, just to let us know what one of the other VOY characters was up to, like Chakotay or Seven for example.

That's a good idea but I think she talked to him about a very serious fact so it would not have been "good" if he had asked: "Hey, Kathryn, how are your former Voyager buddies doin?" :laugh:

But it would have been great to hear something about them anyway...

Mrs. Captain Picard