Sign in to follow this  
Susan_Delgado

Children of Time

What did you think about the Children of Time episode, season 5?

Of all the characters, it is Miles O'Brien and Odo who react as I would react.

Click For Spoiler
He and Sisko are the only ones who seem to have left any family behind.

Worf --- Jadzia is his Par'machi and she's with him. Kurn is lost to him forever. Alexander is being raised by Worf's adoptive parents. The House of Mogh no longer exists (although Worf is now part of the House of Martok.)

Dax --- her man is on the scene with her. There's no one else back home.

Kira --- just broke it off with Shakaar. Her whole family is dead.

Bashir --- he's alone, between women, so to speak.

We don't see much of the rest of the crew, but I'm sure many of them had families back on DS9.

Sisko --- he's puzzling to me in how nonchalant he seems about Jake and Kasidy. Also as the Emissary the people of Bajor are his "children." He just doesn't seem as upset to be stranded a I think he should have been.

Miles --- I agree with him the entire time he is arguing to forget all those people and just focus on getting back home. His change of heart at the end is too abrupt to be believable. They should have let him stay mad and resentful.

Odo --- I would have done the same thing. Sabotage to save Kira.

The whole time they keep talking about saving 8,000 people by allowing themselves to get stranded again. But I just don't see it that way .... if they don't go back, those people just never existed. They weren't going to be killing anyone. Plus, had they gone ahead with the plan to crash, it's not like they would have been spending any time with the people they actually found anyway.

I liked Kira better when she was saying things like, "It's like stepping on ants!" (Can't remember the episode, but I think it was from the third season.)

Hope I did that spoiler thing right. I know there are people out here who are just now seeing some of these episodes and I don't want to ruin it for 'em.

I thought "Children of Time" was an excellent episode, it's one of my favorites in fact. But I was disappointed in the ending....

Click For Spoiler

Overall though it was a great episode.

This was a great episode and it ranks among my favorites as well.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler
I can't remember all the techno-babble :P but if the colony had survived, was there any way for Sisko and the gang to have returned for a visit? Or was this colony completely cut-off from the original timeline?

It would have been more of a Star Trek ending to have left the colony as it was, ala Meridian. I suppose, though, they had kind of already done that once and were trying to do something different.

I wonder if that would have bothered O'Brien? He was so uncomfortable with the whole scenario. You could tell the "infidelity" was really weighing on him.

Click For Spoiler