Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Female Pon'Farr?

I just got Enterprise season 2 on DVD the other, so I finally got to watch season 2. Over all, I liked it. But one thing bothers me...

In the episode "Bounty," T'Pol goes through a microbe-induced Pon'Farr. I thought that only the males experienced Pon'Farr. I don't remember what they said about it in the TOS episode "Amok Time," but in ST III:TSFS Saavik said that Vulcan males endure Pon'Farr every seventh year of their adult life. If the females have it too, why didn't Saavik say that all Vulcans experience it?

Also... Do Romulans go through Pon'Farr?

As for the Romulans I don't recall any mention of them regarding the Pon'farr but seeing as they are an offshoot of the Vulcans I would expect it to be present in some respect or perhaps they just have evolved out of it. We know so little about the Romulans that it's difficult to say.

Regarding Vulcan women and the Pon'farr again I'm not sure. In 'Amok Time' they refer to Vulcans going through the "urges" but mention neither sex specifically. Again I've never heard or seen of a Vulcan female, with the exception of T'pol, going through the Pon'farr.

This is what the non-canon ST: Encyclopedia says about Pon farr:

Vulcan term for the time of mating. Although Vulcans live strictly by the dictates of logic, their veneer of civilization is ripped away from them during Pon farr, every seven years of their adult life. The individual experiencing Pon farr will stop eating and sleeping if not allowed to return home to take a mate. During Pon farr, the brain is thrown into a neurochemical imbalance that can be fatal if the mating drive is not acted upon. The Vulcan telepathic mating bond draws mated couples irresistibly together during Pon farr.

The edition of ST: Encyclopedia I have does not include information from Enterprise. As you can see there is no reference that only males go through Pon farr.

There has never been any mention of Romulans going through Pon farr. The Romulans did evolve differently after leaving Vulcan and I wouldn't be surprised if Pon farr was one of the differences between them. Mating once every 7 years may seem logical to Vulcans but I can't see it being so for the emotional Romulans.

I looked up Pon Farr on Memory Alpha and found this sentence of particular interest in relation to this topic:

Pon farr affects both sexes, though the onset of pon farr in the female can sometimes be triggered by a telepathic link with a male.

Here's the link:

Pon farr - Memory Alpha

Fascinating. If I'm vulcan and I want to do it with someone, all I have to do is send out a telepathic link to the desired female. Trully facinating. I would like to change my race from human to Vulcan and I'm going to take the first shuttle to Deltan immediately. I hope it works with Deltans, or I'll just fly to vulcan and have fun there.

If the females have it too, why didn't Saavik say that all Vulcans experience it?

IMO it is because it was a male she was taking about; to include info on females would have been illogical since female (or ALL Vulcan) Pon Far was not the topic. Remember how notorious Vulcans can be about?

Also... Do Romulans go through Pon'Farr?

Not that I've ever heard of.