Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Your Personal Ancestry

Genealogy has always been a favorite hobby for some but it seems like after the premiere of Roots more people have taken it up. Some people are inspired for different reasons. I find reading about the lives of my ancestors intriguing.

One major source of efforts and information is the DAR. I wonder if many young people know what the DAR is - (Daughters of the American Revolution) I guess a lot of people could join because all you need is one Ancestor that fought in the American Revolutionary war (on the American side).

It was only in the last year that I learned my great grandmother's father was Native American. (for some reason my mother never mentioned this?) I don't know much about her story - her father never married her mother and I don't know what kind of public resentment they faced - it was a different time then (the late 1800's). There is a large part of my heritage I will never know because we're not even certain if he was Seminole or Cherokee.

I had a very interesting experience with family history that may not make much sense to many of you but several years ago I read a personal biography written by my maternal grandfather's sister. I gained glimpes into the life of my great grandmother (different ggm than the one above) and her commitment to her family and to her faith - and what hardships life must have had for her. Yet somehow I felt a kinship for this woman I don't think I ever met and I knew that as I was her great grand daughter she would have loved me and somehow that was comforting at a time when I was feeling particularly alone.

Anyway, I have rambled on a bit - but has anyone else had an interesting story in connecting with their "roots"?