Sign in to follow this  
LordOfTheBorg

Becoming A Monk Or Nun

If anyone wants to become a monk or nun, then go check out Vocation Placement. Just thought someone might be interested and not know the links... So, here yah go... I sent them an email about volunteering my internet talents. I am also thinking about becoming a monk later in life... Just so everyone knows, it is a big decision and should not be taking lightly. Also, you dont NEED to be a roman catholic to become a monk, and, contrary to popular belief, you don't need to take a vow of Celibacy...

Just as a matter of interest - how old are you now and what brought you to the decision to become a monk?

Well you've 5 years to decide then, make sure to explore other options, keep your mind open to all possibilities. I spent a few weeks staying in a monastery a few years ago and really enjoyed it, it can be a very fulfilling life but it's not for everyone. To be quite honest it's a life that only very few people can successfully commit to.

If anyone wants to become a monk or nun, then go check out Vocation Placement. Just thought someone might be interested and not know the links... So, here yah go... I sent them an email about volunteering my internet talents. I am also thinking about becoming a monk later in life... Just so everyone knows, it is a big decision and should not be taking lightly. Also, you dont NEED to be a roman catholic to become a monk, and, contrary to popular belief, you don't need to take a vow of Celibacy...

345996[/snapback]

There's the key part of that sentence :lol:

you don't need to take a vow of Celibacy...

Interesting. I guess if you choose not to be celibate, there are plenty of other monks around........................................

you don't need to take a vow of Celibacy...

Interesting. I guess if you choose not to be celibate, there are plenty of other monks around........................................

346003[/snapback]

:lol: :) lmao :) :hug:

When I was young I used to think being a nun would be exciting (I am not Catholic however - so it was never really a consideration). I watched some movie about a nun in Africa or something like that. Then I read an article about nuns in the vatican and how they spent all day washing dishes and that didn't sound too interesting. :lol:

I still think that when I reach retirement age I'd like to go to some other country and teach the children or something (I don't know if they have peace corps programs for old folks?).

Other days, the world makes me so sad I think I'd like to go live in a convent - just to escape the world :hug:

You can still dedicate your life to service without taking up a full time religious vocation; being a good neighbor, a good community member, and a good citizen are valuable means of service.

LOTB: is that your only other option.. I never heard of a young guy wanting to actually become a monk, but consider other otions before taking that step

I still think that when I reach retirement age I'd like to go to some other country and teach the children or something (I don't know if they have peace corps programs for old folks?).

346009[/snapback]

Remember, President Jimmy Carter's mother served in the Peace Corps as a senior citizen. I do not think they have an official age limit.

345996[/snapback]

I was actually inducted into a Buddhist monistary here in Stockton several years ago and served as a monk for 10 days, just for the experiance. It was facinating and I wish I could have done it longer but I had to get back to my "real" life.