Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

How to save "Star Trek"

There's the "Save Star Trek" website and all these people who think Trek needs saving, and have all these wild ideas about how to save it.

I've a simple idea:

Instead of trying to save the "franchise", just try and make ENT a top-notch TV series and drop this "we wanna get young guys to watch and go gee-whiz" mentallity. As for the movies? Either pick DS9, VOY, or introduce a new cast. TOS and TNG have run their coarse and ENT is too new for a movie.

Welp, those are my thoughts, what are yours?

I think you just said it.

They should try and make the series quality better, something a family or 10/12 year olds can watch without being offended. They should try and concentrait on regaining the beliefs and ideals of TOS and TNG, not trying to be the same as everyone else. What made Star Trek popular was that it was different, not that it was the same.

I agree with what you both said. They need to let Trek be Trek.

The problem with making any more movies now is that TNG is finished. It has had its moment and now it's time to drag it off screen before it gets boring and deriative. However, both DS9 and VOY ended their series very abruptly and definitely, leaving little room for a movie. And Ent is far to early on yet.

So it appears that for movies we shall have to make do with a new cast, probably with the occasional old character popping up somewhere, or we introduce TNG for one more season with the Enterprise-E, set after the conflict with the Dominion et al. This would (possibly) set us up for one more TNG movie...

Stardate:213501.1

I dont think Star Trek needs saving.In the 60's after TOS was cancelled everybody figured well thats it Star Trek is done.Then came the movies and TNG then Star Trek was alive and kicking.I think history will repeat itself and Star Trek will revive itself.

That's true. Are you guys aware that you guys, I'd say we except that I was born in the 80's, have never gone more then 3 years without Trek?

1966-69 - TOS

1979 - ST:TMP

1982 - ST-II:TWOK

1984 - ST-III:TSFS

1986 - ST-IV:TVH

1987-present - TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, movies 5-10

:laugh:

This might also explain why ST:II was so successfull, the fans had to wait 3 long years for a new Trek adventure, the longest wait in Trek history! :laugh:

That's true.  Are you guys aware that you guys, I'd say we except that I was born in the 80's, have never gone more then 3 years without Trek?

1966-69 - TOS

1979 - ST:TMP

1982 - ST-II:TWOK

1984 - ST-III:TSFS

1986 - ST-IV:TVH

1987-present - TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, movies 5-10

:dude:

This might also explain why ST:II was so successfull, the fans had to wait 3 long years for a new Trek adventure, the longest wait in Trek history! :dude:

Wouldn't the 10 year wait between TOS and TMP be the longest wait? :(

Well, there was that Cartoon in the early 70s..so..

anyway, I agree with the ideas about how tp save it.

But here's a good "What NOT to do to save Trek", Hire Vince McMahon as a writer :laugh::laugh:

However, both DS9 and VOY ended their series very abruptly and definitely, leaving little room for a movie. And Ent is far to early on yet.

I don't agree for DS9.

They were a lot of plot unsolved...

What happends to Bajor? Will it join the federation someday?

When Sisko will be back and on what form?

And will Odo be able to make his kind understand that solids aren't all bad and inferior?

And on and on...

I'm sure they would have been able to do another DS9 season without it being boring...

So why not a movie?

However, both DS9 and VOY ended their series very abruptly and definitely, leaving little room for a movie. And Ent is far to early on yet.

I don't agree for DS9.

They were a lot of plot unsolved...

What happends to Bajor? Will it join the federation someday?

When Sisko will be back and on what form?

And will Odo be able to make his kind understand that solids aren't all bad and inferior?

And on and on...

I'm sure they would have been able to do another DS9 season without it being boring...

So why not a movie?

I was talking about the crew, of which I felt that it would be hard to include them without belittling the story. However I am slightly handicapped by not knowing exactly what happened... :laugh:

I would love a DS9 movie so I am pessimistic in raising my hopes for fear of them being dashed...

However, with my hopes now firmly raised, what can Star Trek do now but make at least 3 DS9 movies, *buttocks*-kicking they be? :laugh:

There's the "Save Star Trek" website and all these people who think Trek needs saving, and have all these wild ideas about how to save it.

I've a simple idea:

Instead of trying to save the "franchise", just try and make ENT a top-notch TV series and drop this "we wanna get young guys to watch and go gee-whiz" mentallity.  As for the movies?  Either pick DS9, VOY, or introduce a new cast.  TOS and TNG have run their coarse and ENT is too new for a movie.

Captain I agree with you whole heartedly. ;)

I'd like to see some new writers for Enteprise. Seems every episode I watch is written by Berman and Braga. Would be nice if Paramount would accept fan submissions again!

If Enterprise is to succeed, then as Picard said, it needs a change of direction. T'Pol's attractive, but we don't need it shoved in our faces- subtlity people! The issues that the show wants to tackle need to be woven more delicately into the stories too. Sometimes it can feel a bit... preachy.

Basically, I'll say again what I've said before. I think Paramount are trying very hard with ENT to create a show that appeals to both fans and non-fans, and as such, are losing both sets of their target audience. They need to take a good long look at what made TNG so popular, and it wouldn' hurt to take a look at the best aspects of DS9 too (IE, character development).

I've a simple idea:

Instead of trying to save the "franchise", just try and make ENT a top-notch TV series and drop this "we wanna get young guys to watch and go gee-whiz" mentallity.  As for the movies?  Either pick DS9, VOY, or introduce a new cast.  TOS and TNG have run their coarse and ENT is too new for a movie.

But arent the producers doing that? I think they are making it top notch, or at least trying to. I dont see Barman and co out with picket signs trying to get people to just watch it.

Anmd you have changed your tune big time. Only last week you were going on and on about having all the series together in one film. Now you say that TNG has run it's "coarse" (would that be course?).

Hmmmm.