Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Fly That Flag, Deanna

Ken Schram Commentary: Fly That Flag, Deanna

July 28, 2005

By Ken Schram  ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - It's not like she hung her underwear out to dry. She just wanted to fly the flag on her patio. It was in honor of her son, who's serving over in Iraq. It was in support of her Army sweetheart, who's building roads over in Afghanistan. Then along comes some prissy, rule-bound, over-zealous apartment house manager. Seems the American flag is deemed unacceptable in the world of Allied Group Inc. of Renton, which manages the property where Deanna Wallace rents her apartment. Citing some obscure, dictatorial regulations, Deanna - and her disabled vet neighbor - were ordered to take their American flags down. Deanna did. Then she got ticked off and put it back. Now, I suspect that the Allied Group Inc. of Renton is anally concerned about uniformity on its property. Which brings me to the following suggestion: I will provide small American flags to every renter at the Brookside Gardens Apartments, if those renters agree to fly the flags on their patio. Do it to support Deanna Wallace. Do it because it's the right thing to do. Or do it for no other reason than to let the Allied Group Inc. of Renton know that you think they're morons. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

Listen to the report here. This will be my last posting of Ken Schram for about a week due to the fact my laptop is in need of repairs. So, what do you think?

Woohoo! Way to stand up! I've always thought Apartment Management Groups and HOA's are nothing less than legalized dictatorships within the United States, and I enjoy watching people take a stand against them. one HOA in my area once had a legal dispute with one of the residents, the feeling I got out of it was that the HOA was thinking 'You can make your house look as different as you want---as long as it looks like everyone else's"

Update!

Ken Schram Commentary: Thank You, Pat O'Hare

July 29, 2005

By Ken Schram ken_schram.jpg

SEATTLE - Say thanks to Pat O'Hare. He's the owner of the Brookside Gardens apartments. That's where Deanna Wallace lives. She's the woman who was brusquely ordered to take down the American flag that was displayed on her third floor patio. Deanna had hoisted the Stars and Stripes as a way to honor her son, who is serving over in Iraq, and to support her army sweetheart, who's busy building roads in Afghanistan. The property managing company in charge at Brookside had decided they didn't care why Deanna had a flag flying, they just wanted it taken down. Anyway, O'Hare emailed me in response to the commentary I did (read it here) slamming the property managers, and offering to provide flags for every renter at the apartment complex. I called Mr. O'Hare and learned he wanted to take my up on my flag offer. He says he genuinely regrets the way Deanna Wallace was treated. He also says that if I send him the flags, he'll see to it that they're distributed to all 52 tenants for them to display on their patios. Consider that done. In addition, O'Hare says he's looking into erecting a large, illuminated flag on the property. Pat O'Hare comes across as a decent guy who just wants to do the right thing. Deanna Wallace excitedly said to tell him "Thanks!" So: Thanks Mr. O'Hare. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

Who actually owns the property in this case, the person or the company? If it's the person then that company has no right to tell people what they can and cannot do to their house; if it's the company then it has every right to lay down the law, unless the company and the tenant have entered into a formal agreement about this kinda thing...

Wow, I'm in a really formal mood right now... :bored:

Who actually owns the property in this case, the person or the company? If it's the person then that company has no right to tell people what they can and cannot do to their house; if it's the company then it has every right to lay down the law, unless the company and the tenant have entered into a formal agreement about this kinda thing...

Wow, I'm in a really formal mood right now... :bored:

344607[/snapback]

Most apartment building owners hire a management company to collect rent, take care of maintenance, deal with the tenants, etc. Rules about not having flags, signs or banners displayed are quite common in leases. The only reason this has made the news is that it is an American flag involved. If this person had been ordered to take down a Mariners or Seahawk banner or a sign that said "Eat at Joe's" you can bet it wouldn't have made the news.

If she wants to show her support for her son and "sweetheart" then I'm sure some yellow ribbons on her door would suffice. It's the recognised symbol for showing support for loved ones and friends serving in the Armed Forces or in conflict regions. If she wants to show support for the United States of America in general, then a few "Stars and Stripes" ribbons on her door should be enough.

I don't know about this one. I kind of respect the need for regulations on what you can and cannot have hanging from your balcony or apartment. It's too bad she can't fly her U.S. flag and all, but if we don't adhere to the rules we've agreed to, then all we have is anarchy.

Purposefully, we bought our house in an older neighborhood that predates homeowner's associations and such because we didn't want to have a bunch of rules hanging over our heads and to have to pay a monthly fee for the privilege of having them!

I have nothing but contempt for Homeowner Associations. They are usually run by busybodies who like to get into everyone's business. I would never agree to join one. In actuality, they have very little power. If one has the courage to stand up to them, these Associations lose in court way more than they win.

NBS, Mr. O'Hara owns the property, and can overrule any rules set by the Housing Management, which it sounds like he is doing.

By the way, why would it even be considered legal to prevent someone from flying the American Flag? I could almost see someone sueing the Apartment Management for infringing on their rights to freely express their patriotism.

This isn't an easy question.

A lease agreement is a contract and if you sign a contract you are bound to abide by the terms. I live in an apartment - we can't have lawn displays or anything showing above the top of our patio fence. I also drove around town and looked at every apartment complex before I decided on this one - in large part because of how it looked. I agree with Takara, if it were another type of flag it wouldn't have been a big deal and I can understand why the owner didn't want get a reputation of being anti-American.

Yes, HOA are a pain, but no one is forced to live in one; you also get benefits for some of the freedoms you give up. A neighbor with junk cars on their property can lower your property value, so can unmowed lawns, peeling paint etc.

Hmm..

The first story you posted by this guy really ticked me off.

But since then,most of the stories you've posted here by this Schram fellow have made me wonder if I wasn't a little hard on him.... :biggrin:

I agree with him on this.

This isn't an easy question.

A lease agreement is a contract and if you sign a contract you are bound to abide by the terms.  I live in an apartment - we can't have lawn displays or anything showing above the top of our patio fence.  I also drove around town and looked at every apartment complex before I decided on this one - in large part because of how it looked.  I agree with Takara, if it were another type of flag it wouldn't have been a big deal and I can understand why the owner didn't want get a reputation of being anti-American.

Yes, HOA are a pain, but no one is forced to live in one; you also get benefits for some of the freedoms you give up.  A neighbor with junk cars on their property can lower your property value, so can unmowed lawns, peeling paint etc.

344754[/snapback]

Good points, TUH. HOAs can be a pain, and some are helpful in keeping property values up. Some, though, are a bit overzealous and take their "Authority" alittle too far. My Aunt and Uncle used to live in a subdivision where you couldn't have a pick-up parked in your driveway, you HAD to park the truck in the Garage, because "They Look bad". I had to ask, say I live in a house with a 1 car garage and I had a beautifully restored Classic Car that I had invested 40 or 50 grand in to restore, and didn't want it exposed to the elements or car theives, and a Pick-Up Truck? Would I be forced to park the big money car out in the elements to appease the whims of some people who aren't even really a legitimate government?

Anyone want a good read, read "The Association" by Bentley Little... it's about a homeowners' association which goes a bit too far.

I can see the point of one with some basic rules to keep up the neighborhood, but if you own the home (which happens in the book) I really don't think they should have much right to tell you what to do with your own home. This is supposed to be a free country. How free are we really if we have people going to other peoples' private residences and dictating to them what they can and cannot do there? And what does that say for the patriotism of the people making these rules; maybe they should live in a country that isn't so free, if freedom bothers them so.