Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Has LeVar Betrayed Us?

Do You Think Trek Should Die?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Trek Should Die?

• yes
    • no

May I humbly point out that the above quotes attributed to Mr. Burton seem to be in direct contradiction (at least to me) to these statements made at the recent Las Vegas convention:

Burton asked if he could go on a "rant" on the topic on everyone's mind. "Aren't we sad that there is no more Trek," he began. "I'm so pissed! Because I love Star Trek. Long before I became a member of this family, I was a fan of Star Trek ... I'm a child of the television age, and it was rare when I was growing up to see people of color in the popular culture. It was a big deal for me to see Diahann Carroll with her own television show on CBS (Julia); it was a big deal to see Sammy Davis Jr. on The Rifleman; it was a big deal to see Clarence Williams III on Mod Squad; it was a big deal to see Nichelle Nichols on the bridge of the Enterprise.

"Star Trek was really instrumental in helping me form my own identity in the world. And so I love this thing that we all love. And take it very personally when those who are in charge of driving the ship tend to let it crash."

Link

I've never heard of "Contact Music" so I so I don't know how reliable they are. I'd have to hear him say it to believe it's a real quote though.

According to Contact Music, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION actor LeVar Burton ('Geordi LaForge') has begged Paramount Pictures execs never to make another new STAR TREK show and allow the franchise to rest in peace.

Burton hopes the last series of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, from 2001, will be the very last.

"STAR TREK coming to an end is long overdue." Burton said "They ran it into the ground and made so much STAR TREK that it ceased to be special. If they bring this back before a decade is out I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."

I really can't believe this guy. I, for one, don't want Trek to end. What a sad thing that would be

344128[/snapback]

Honestly I have to agree. Star Trek was run into the ground by greedy executies, mainly Rick Berman, who just wanted to keep the cash machine going until there was nothing left.

Like Flash Gordon , James Bond and Tarzan, I think Star Trek has more then had its day in the sun. I say let it die with dignity.

Honestly I have to agree.  Star Trek was run into the ground by greedy executies, mainly Rick Berman, who just wanted to keep the cash machine going until there was nothing left.

349623[/snapback]

Rick Berman is not the guy who makes those decisions - the studio executives do. He has said he thought they should have taken a break after Voyager but Paramount pushed for another series to start up as soon as Voyager ended. In Trek venacular, Rick Berman is the captain of Star Trek but he's got a lot of admirals giving him orders and interferring with the way he runs his ship.

LeVar,if he did say those things,is just voicing an opinion that I,and many other Trek fans have had felt for quite some while.

To be truthful,I was starting to get a little Trek burnout toward the end of Voyager's 6th season.By the series final,I was in full blown Trek-overdose.I stopped watching reruns,reading the novels,or doing anything Trek for months.

And when Enterprise debuted,I hesitated before watching it (missed the entire first season).

If there's any truth to the saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder,then the next Trek series (if there is one) should be awesome,IF Paramount waits a decade or so.In the meantime,there are some awesome Trek novels and fanfic being written.

I'm with the majority here. Star Trek at the very least, needs to be on hiatus until they can get people with imagination comparable to Roddenberry's (equal or greater is asking too much. Comparable is acceptable) to create and write for it. It may never happen, but I would rather it never happen than for us to settle for that which is ersatz.

A better question is, is a decade too long? 20ish years was apparently not long enough for Star Wars fans who were utterly disappointed in the writing of episodes 1-3 (I myself was more bummed by the cheaply done digital effects). Beatle fans waited 35 years for Free As A Bird and Real Love (the latter being one of my all time favorite Beatle songs). Fans of the old "Jumanji" book are now getting "Zathura" after roughly 20 years. Indeed, it may very well be that 10 years may not be long enough.