Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

It's Christmas In July

Ken Schram Commentary: It's Christmas In July

July 26, 2005 ken_schram.jpg

By Ken Schram 

SEATTLE - It's really just a tiny step. But at this point, I'll take anything as progress. The South Kitsap School Board has decided that the two weeks off from the end of December into January will no longer officially be called "Winter Break." It'll now be known by what most people have always called it: "Christmas Break." I might have missed this appreciated departure from the world of rampant political correctness were it not for the blah-blah-blah e-mails I started getting from folks whining about how this violates the separation of church and state. Please, spare me! I am so damn weary of the lunatic fringe on the left and right squeezing everyone in the middle. I'm just flat fed up with those who think nothing religious can even be in the vicinity of a classroom; flat fed up with those who think that organized prayer should be incorporated into every students classroom day. There is NOTHING wrong with acknowledging a religious holiday that also has strong cultural aspects. So that sound of clapping you hear is me applauding the members of the South Kitsap School Board. Yeah, it's just a tiny step. But in one little corner of the world, it means the social lemmings have been stopped at the edge of the cliff. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

Now before I ask you the same question I would like to say that there is a meeting about this on the 1st and I plan to go and tell them what I think, and that will be what every the overall respons to this is.

So... what do you think?

I don't know Capt - what do you think the overall response will be?

I don't know what our school board officially calls "Christmas break" but I know what everybody else calls it.

What I think is, if not broke don't fix! It has been winter break for over 20 years and I think they could use the time talk about this and use it to help get the 2008 class ready for the W.A.S.L. A state test that if not passed by a student in the class of 2008 or higher will not graduate... the test is taken during the 10th grade year so that would mean this coming spring.