Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

A question about 'Generations'

I watched the beginning of 'Generations' tonight, and I had a thought. I wonder if Checov's part in the movie was originally planned to be filled be Dr. McCoy.

The only real reason I ask is because Checov drafts the two reporters as nurses when the Enterprise-B beams over refugees from the Lakul. It seemed like such a perfect line for him.

Thinking, he would have fit in perfectly to the rest of the beginning of the movie.

Does anyone know if there were plans to include him originally?

i think there was from memory...but he couldnt make the shooting or something like that...?

Chekov also asks Kirk if there something wrong with his chair in the beginning too - a McCoy line!

Actually, I think that might have been Scotty. I'm almost certain. I know Mccoy asked in 'The Final Frontier' on the Enterprise-A, but I'm almost certain that Scotty asked the question in Generations. However, I bet that line might have gone to McCoy anyway.

Chekov also asks Kirk if there something wrong with his chair in the beginning too - a McCoy line!

343159[/snapback]

That was Scotty, not Chekov...but it does sound like a McCoy line! :P

I watched the beginning of 'Generations' tonight, and I had a thought. I wonder if Checov's part in the movie was originally planned to be filled be Dr. McCoy.

The only real reason I ask is because Checov drafts the two reporters as nurses when the Enterprise-B beams over refugees from the Lakul. It seemed like such a perfect line for him.

Thinking, he would have fit in perfectly to the rest of the beginning of the movie.

Does anyone know if there were plans to include him originally?

343158[/snapback]

I don't know what their sources are but this is what it says at TrekPulse.com:

Originally, the entire cast of “The Original Series” were to be the guests of honour aboard the Enterprise-B, with each character retaking their old stations when the Nexus Ribbon threatens the ship.

Eventually, the original cast members were scaled back to just the primary three of Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy. However, both Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley declined to appear. Kelley felt he had made an appropriate farewell in “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” and Nimoy because he wasn’t happy with Spock’s role in the movie.

As you may know, Leonard Nimoy was also asked to direct Generations but turned it down.

Well, if Chekov or Scotty yelled, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a..." we would've known for sure if McCoy was supposed to be there. :lol:

I know Mccoy asked in 'The Final Frontier' on the Enterprise-A, but I'm almost certain that Scotty asked the question in Generations.

You sure that wasn't in ST VI when they were getting the briefing and Spock volunteered the Enterprise to help the Klingons?

After Kirk "Died" McCoy and Spock met and were just talking about Kirk's death, I can't really remember too much of it as I read it a while ago

You should pick up the book

You are quite correct - It was supposed to have been Kirk, Spock and McCoy but both Deforrest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy felt they had said their goodbyes in The Undiscovered Country and a look at the script sohwed that they were just window dressing.