Capt_Picard

Oh Boy! Another Cell Phone Study!

Agree?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Agree?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.

Ken Schram Commentary: Oh Boy! Another Cell Phone Study!

July 12, 2005 ken_schram.jpg

By Ken Schram 

SEATTLE - Just what the world needs: Another cell phone study. And what do we learn from this one? Well, we're told that there is NO safety benefit from using a hands-free phone in your car. Nope. In fact, the study goes on to say that the big push to pass laws that require drivers to use hands-free devices in their car, may give people a false sense of security - and could actually end up causing more accidents! You know, I've got my own little conspiracy theory cookin' here. I'm thinking that insurance companies - already tapped into raising our rates based on credit scores and home zip codes - are trying to figure out a way to kick rates up based on who has a cell phone. I'm thinking that this newest study - paid for by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety - is helping to set the basis for boosting the premiums for every licensed cell phone driver calling home to find out what's for dinner. Oh, did I mention that the institute that did this study is wholly supported by auto insurance companies? Of course, their motives could be entirely pure. And it could be that I'll flap my arms and fly home tonight. I don't think either is very likely. Want to share your thoughts with Ken Schram? You can e-mail him at kenschram@komo4news.com

What do you think?

Personally, I think every state should ban cellphone use from cars. I've seen some idiots almost cause accidents because they are too focused on the phone. When I get a call on my cell phone, I pull over whenever possible or I don't answer it.

It all about the hands free units in cars...

Only idiots talk on thier cell in the car

The hands free devices do little. You still have to look at the phone when dialing or answering therefore taking your eyes off the road.

Not true. That depends solely on your system and how you have it set up. Also, if there is no difference between a hands-free system and a traditional hand-held setup then, logically, would talking to a person in the passenger seat be just as dangerous as talking to someone on a hand-held phone? I have seen to studies to support this evidence, and since talking on a hands-free system is very much akin to talking to someone in person (without the added visual distraction that comes witha passenger,) I'm obliged to say that "no" I do not agree.

EDIT: :eekout: I'm the first to actually vote?

Edited by Eratosthenes

I'll ignore being called an idiot for the moment :eekout: and admit that I talk on the cell while driving (though not often). I have a hands-free unit, but I don't talk in the car enough to even think about taking it with me.

The people who talk on the phone all the time while driving are definitely distracted. I've personally never had a problem, though. I hate the idea of getting into a wreck too much to take all my attention off the road.

Edited by Ace

I think the guy that wrote the article is an "idiot" - reducing losses is a much better way for insurance companies to increase profits than to raise rates. :eekout:

Not the mention the injuries they'll avoid.