Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

So why no 'Britain Days'?

Following the festive Canadian and American (Well, you know what I mean, Fourth of July) days, I've been wondering why we don't have a Great Britain Day? Has this idea never arisen before, or has it been considered and dropped, and if so why?

I'm not particularly anxious for one, but I think it'd be good fun and since we already have the US and Canada, it only seems logical to have a British day as well.

If we were to have one, wink wink, I'd suggest it be on the 26th of March, the day the first Act of Union creating the Kingdom of Great Britain came into play. :rolleyes: (There was a second, more expansive one which created the Britain we know of today, but since that took effect on the 1st of January its not really an option...)

What about the celebration your country has every November 5?

And as your country once ruled the world, I think just one day wouldn't be enough or perhaps, it wouldn't fit into the pride factor there? :wink2:

At least my Uncle always said that. :rolleyes:

"We ruled the world, and the world still knows it"

Guy Fawkes night? As far as I can remember that's celebrating the failure of Catholic conspirers to murder the King and Parliament. It's got nothing to do with the founding of Great Britain, though it's great fun despite this flaw. :rolleyes:

I would of course not be churlish and accept a single day personally. You can't help not being British and all that, it would be wrong to rub it in... :laugh:

Edited by NordicBearskin

:rolleyes: Tis okay, my Dad is one of six, the only one born here, so all my relatives bear a "regal" stance and though they are Americans now, the fondness and love of their home country makes me understand what you've said. :laugh:

I think they should celebrate on the date that the Magna Carta was signed. (I believe it WAS england that had the Magna Carta, right?) that was one of the first examples of something like a Consitution. I say ONE of because the 12 tables in Rome could have counted, too.

To my knowledge there is stuff like St. George's Day, but there is no national holiday and there have been on occassions, and I have had this said to me personally, that waving the national flag of England is 'racist' so to bow to political correctness there never will be a national holiday because it descriminates. Or at least that was how I had it explained to me.

I remember the big fuss when everyone started putting english flags on their cars during football seasons, there were complaints it's racist :rolleyes:

How could it be racist to wave the English flag? :rolleyes:

How could it be racist to wave the English flag?  :laugh:

337394[/snapback]

I know! But that was actually an issue. :rolleyes::laugh: :blink:

Great Britain and England aren't the same thing Jim. (Former's a grouping of semi-unified countries, the other is a country within that group) :laugh:

No, there isn't one special day of celebration. I don't think it's so much due to it being seen as racist, but that generally as a society patriotism, with a few blatant exceptions, is rather looked down upon here. If we had one at STF.net, maybe it would catch on? :rolleyes:

Edited by NordicBearskin

but that generally as a society patriotism, with a few blatant exceptions, is rather looked down upon here. If we had one at STF.net, maybe it would catch on? :laugh:

337424[/snapback]

That's just wrong,and too bad.It's never a bad thing to be supportive of your country,especially a country like England. :laugh:

I wonder if in a few decades,what with all the USA bashing going on by Americans themselves (I won't name the particular group... :rolleyes: ),if those people come to power if celebrating American patriotism won't be similarly looked down upon as a "bad" thing.

I really hope that never happens in America. I can see it happening, and not from the people who want see patriotism as a bad thing. I am referring to the group who patriotism as being very narrow viewpoint. The groups that say if you don't support this objective, or fully support someone during the time of war than you're not a patriots. That for is a too narrow point of view. Being a patriot is one that will to give something back to country and willing question doing something that think its wrong.

There is nothing wrong being proud of the country that you are from. As long as that pride doesn't blind you to other countries and what they done or will do it shouldn't be a problem. For those who do see it as a problem they need to get some help. The only that they are telling is they have a low opinion not only of their country, but also of themselves.

*edits out reply on patriotism to prevent hypocrisy*

This isn't the place to discuss the merits and faults of patriotism. It would be a very interesting topic to debate, but this isn't the place for it. This is about a possible new 'XYZ day' on this forum, and I don't want to veer off-topic from that just yet.

(Besides, I tend to agree with Marxists regarding nations, so you can probably guess what my feelings on patriotism are :laugh:)

EDIT* Woo! I made Captain! Now I get a funky office, and my own private toilet... :rolleyes:

Edited by NordicBearskin

I remember the big fuss when everyone started putting english flags on their cars during football seasons, there were complaints it's racist :rolleyes:

337392[/snapback]

I don't understand that thought process, you're showing pride for your country and support.

It has nothing to do with race because your country is comprised of many cultures.

:laugh::laugh:

Main Entry: rac·ism

Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-

Function: noun

Date: 1936

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

- rac·ist /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective

Yeah but no one looks at the dictionary definition, the police were actually stopping drivers under the incitement to racial descrimination Act over here

Yeah but no one looks at the dictionary definition, the police were actually stopping drivers under the incitement to racial descrimination Act over here

337481[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that sounds like political correctness run amock.

Unless they can provide something that convinces me as otherwise, I'm going to think the cops in England are over reacting to something that is considered pride elsewhere in the world.