Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Data and TNG movies

I noticed that on every TNG movie something happens to Data.

Generations: His emotion chip does something and he can't control his emotions.

Insurrection: He flips out and starts attacking Starfleet officers on that planet (I forget the name of the planet).

First Contact: The Borg Queen and Data kiss, and he gets assimilated (?) by the Borg.

Nemesis: He bites the big one when he blows up the Scimitar.

hehe, and Yes I just noticed now :laugh:

And in the movies his name came after "Riker" instead of coming after "Troi"... *insert shifty eye smile*

Yes... And well, I think it realist..

I mean, in the movies, we feel like Jean-Luc Picard and Data are the 2 main characters...

Am I wrong?

Thats cuz Picard and Data are the two main characters. IMO Data is TNG..he made that series so much more interesting..but I could have watched it without him.

And in the movies his name came after "Riker" instead of coming after "Troi"... *insert shifty eye smile*

Actually, the TV and movie credits were done differently.

TV credits in alphabetical order:

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Starring:

Patrick Stewart as "Captain Jean-Luc Picard"

Johnathan Frakes as "Commander William Riker"

Also starring:

Levar Burton as "Lt. Comm. Geordi LaForge"

Michael Dorn as "Lieutennant Worf"

Gates McFadden as "Doctor Beverly Crusher"

Marina Sirtis as "Counselor Deanna Troi"

Brent Spiner as "Lt. Comm. Data"

Movie credits in order of characters:

Star Trek: (pick a TNG title)

Patrick Stewart as "Captain Jean-Luc Picard"

Johnathan Frakes as "Commander William Riker"

Brent Spiner as "Lt. Comm. Data"

Levar Burton as "Lt. Comm. Geordi LaForge"

Michael Dorn as "Lt. Comm. Worf"

Gates McFadden as "Doctor Beverly Crusher"

Marina Sirtis as "Counselor Deanna Troi"

OOOooo!!! You're right, it's the same order as TNG, only Data's name got bumped up! :laugh:

I think this "Data-movie-mania" happens because Data is one of the favorite characters of TNG (that's why his death in Nemesis is not accepted by everyone, including myself :laugh: ) so the directors of the movies HAVE to bring Data/Jean-Luc in most scenes. If there would be a movie without Data doing anything the fans would probably have been upset because nothing happens to him.... (don't know but I think so... If I am wrong tell me ;) )

Mrs. Captain Picard

I think this "Data-movie-mania" happens because Data is one of the favorite characters of TNG (that's why his death in Nemesis is not accepted by everyone, including myself  :laugh: ) so the directors of the movies HAVE to bring Data/Jean-Luc in most scenes. If there would be a movie without Data doing anything the fans would probably have been upset because nothing happens to him.... (don't know but I think so... If I am wrong tell me  ;) )

Mrs. Captain Picard

I agree - Data is one of the most popular character from all Treks. The PTB know that and that is why he has had major plot lines in the movies.

Personally, I'm starting to get sick of the Data talk, it's too much!  AAAHHH!!!! :laugh: Serriously though, he was no more important than Tasha Yar, and I don't see anyone screaming for her return.  Hmm...

Are you deliberately trying to provoke people CJLP? Obviously if no one is screaming for Tasha Yar's return it means that she wasn't as important to people as Data. To compare the importance of a character who was on for 1 season to a character who has effected people's lives for over 15 years just cannot be done. You have stated over and over again on these boards that you don't "care" about the characters so why do you feel the need to provoke those people who do care. If you are getting sick of everyone talking about bringing back Data then I would suggest that you stop reading the threads about Data and stop starting new ones about him.

Personally, I'm starting to get sick of the Data talk, it's too much!  AAAHHH!!!! :laugh: Serriously though, he was no more important than Tasha Yar, and I don't see anyone screaming for her return.  Hmm...

That would be because there was almost nothing unique about Tasha. That cannot be said about Data.

Please take care with your words and their tone. They border on offensive IMHO.

Your rant is noted.....move on.

Personally, I'm starting to get sick of the Data talk, it's too much!

You're sick of the Data talk so you start a new thread about him? Did I miss something? wtf.gif

Are you deliberately trying to provoke people CJLP? Obviously if no one is screaming for Tasha Yar's return it means that she wasn't as important to people as Data. To compare the importance of a character who was on for 1 season to a character who has effected people's lives for over 15 years just cannot be done. You have stated over and over again on these boards that you don't "care" about the characters so why do you feel the need to provoke those people who do care. If you are getting sick of everyone talking about bringing back Data then I would suggest that you stop reading the threads about Data and stop starting new ones about him.

I only started "a" thread about Data, and the posts about Data seem to be all over the forums, not just the "Data" threads. My intention is not to provoke. However, if I were to apply what you said, then if I knew one person for 1 year and another for 15 years and both died, then the one I knew longer should be brought back to life. See, to say Data should be brought back to life, and to not ask the same of Tasha... well, I don't care if she was only seen for a year. It seems to me that people think Data is more special than Yar simply becuase they knew him longer. I dunno, it just feels like people are saying that Data was more important than Yar when they were equals.

I only started "a" thread about Data, and the posts about Data seem to be all over the forums, not just the "Data" threads. My intention is not to provoke. However, if I were to apply what you said, then if I knew one person for 1 year and another for 15 years and both died, then the one I knew longer should be brought back to life. See, to say Data should be brought back to life, and to not ask the same of Tasha... well, I don't care if she was only seen for a year. It seems to me that people think Data is more special than Yar simply becuase they knew him longer. I dunno, it just feels like people are saying that Data was more important than Yar when they were equals.

Well all the red shirts from TOS were equal too. Let's just bring back every star trek character that ever died. sarcastic.gif CJLP, people get attached to different characters. The soong sisters love Data best, I love Riker best and so on. Obviously people are going to want their favorite character back.

No, it is an opinion. This is very off the topic that was started. This theread was not begun to debate if Data was a valuable character or if he should be brought back. It had degraded and I have decided to lock the thread.