Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Possible Battlestar Galactica Movie

It has been reported at Ain't It Cool that Glen Larson told BSG fans at a convention that he is in the process of developing a BSG movie based on the original series.

What do you think of this news? Do you prefer the original BSG or Ronald D. Moore's BSG? Which would you prefer to see on the big screen?

While the new BSG is interesting, I prefer the original in that it had a more positive feel. Even thought they were "fleeing from Cylon tyranny" they didn't have spies constantly in their midst, weren't screaming at each other, didn't have to resort to cylon seducing scientist scenes every 15 minutes, etc... In fact it reminded me of the positive character of TOS in some ways, as they kept searching for "that shining star, known as earth."

I'm not sure about this but I think that may be old news. I'm not even sure if the present rights holders would allow another Battlestar while the reimagined series is still going strong. The original Apollo, Richard hatch, also tried for some years to re-do Battlestar himseldf and went so far as to have a network pitch trailer produced. It's not even allowed on the internet anymore because of the Sci-Fi channel's commitment to the new series which, IMO, is excellent and far less sugar coated then the original. I was a huge fan of the first series but it pales in comparison to the new one.

I don't know why it would make a difference.

Think of this. There was a successful Highlander TV series at the same time there was a successful Highlander movie series - well, except for that one movie I won't mention. They were not in perfect synchronixation with each other in terms of what immortals can do, how they become immortal, the Gathering, etc.

There were also the Batman movies, cartoons, and comic books. Again, there were key plot differences between the mediums.

So why can't we have two Battlestar Galacticas that are different from each other?

The original BSG was WAY too hokey for my taste :rolleyes: . I may not like every aspect of the new BSG (mainly Baltar and #6), but at least it keeps me entertained.

As for a movie? I'm not sure about the timing. If it's completely separate from the new series, I can't say I'd support it. Having different plots shown at or near the same time may have worked for other franchises, but it would just seem odd to me.

I'm in love with Katee Sackhoff so,anything that puts her up on a big screen is fine by me.... :rolleyes:

I actually like the original series better than the new series BECAUSE of its cheesiness....just like I love TOS better than any other Trek :laugh:

But,like I said...Katee,Katee,Katee... :laugh:

I'm not sure about this but I think that may be old news. 

337327[/snapback]

This story was posted at Ain't It Cool on June 28 and the convention where he was supposed to have said this was the previous weekend.

I'm in love with Katee Sackhoff so,anything that puts her up on a big screen is fine by me.... :)

I actually like the original series better than the new series BECAUSE of its cheesiness....just like I love TOS better than any other Trek :blink:

But,like I said...Katee,Katee,Katee... :)

337426[/snapback]

She wouldn't be in it, peewee. The movie is said to be based on the original series and Starbuck was a man in that.

Going back and looking at the reruns of the original I think better acting might have helped. And a couple of the scripts were a little Buck Rogers -ish (I mean the 70's series)

But I think it has potential. Keep the original characters, only with better actors and a little more substance in the plot.

Other than the fact the new one is Scifi - there's not much to commend it. Someone on this site indicated that if you watched to the end of the season it would all make sense. Well, I watched to the end of the season and nothing made sense. How many times do you need to see Baltar having mental sex with #6? And all that mind numbing, tediously boring dialogue they had while doing it.

Going back and looking at the reruns of the original I think better acting might have helped.  And a couple of the scripts were a little Buck Rogers -ish (I mean the 70's series)

Well, Buck Rogers was Larson's next project after Galactica.

It has been reported at Ain't It Cool that Glen Larson told BSG fans at a convention that he is in the process of developing a BSG movie based on the original series.

What do you think of this news? Do you prefer the original BSG or Ronald D. Moore's BSG? Which would you prefer to see on the big screen?

336454[/snapback]

Well- Trying to compare the original Battlestar Galactica to the new one is like trying to compare death by crusifixtion to lethal injection. :msn-wink:

The original was nothing more then a purile and cynical attempt to ride the coat-tails of George Lucas for easy ratings. The F/X were certainly good...but the characters were hopelessly two-dimensional, the acting was just pathetic, and the scripts were often on the level of Lost in Space.

Ronald Moore's Battlestar Galactica is everything the original wasn't. It is very well written and has the courage to follow its plotting (which is dark). Ironically I felt that the new Battlestar shamed the recent efforts by Lucas. The space battles in Revenge of the Sith are so friggen convoluted you can't tell who's fighting who...

I think that Battlestar Galactica is the best scifi show on television since LEXX ended.