Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Dagger v Devil

Defnitely 'Devil in the Dark.' The story was very intriguing and I loved McCoy's line "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer." :laugh:

I also enjoyed the scene where Spock mind-melds with the Horta.

I prefer "Devil." But better story? I still vote for "Devil." It was about the future and the saving of a species, and in the end, about two species getting along in the same space.

I think "Dagger" was better. Mental Illness is an intrest of mine (I don't suffer from it...I enjoy it :laugh: ) and it was dealt with so well. Simon VanGelder was an interesting character. I also liked "Conscience of the King" for simillar reasons.

I think "Dagger" was better. Mental Illness is an intrest of mine (I don't suffer from it...I enjoy it :laugh: )

That could be taken in more than one way ;)

I too find Dagger to be the better story. The concept was great and Kirk really seems to be in trouble this time.

I liked Devil. The part where they realize that the round things are eggs. Kirk standing there surrounded by them was very memorible.

I think Dagger of the Mind was a better story... but I personally prefer Devil in the Dark. It was pure fun.

i like devil because it is 1 of leonard nimoys faves! :angry:

painnnnnnnnnnnnn..........painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Both episodes are great but I like Devil in the Dark better. I too will never get over Spock's mind meld scene and Kirk finding those eggs. And it had a better ending with the Horta alive and working with the miners.

I wish I'd seen them - I've always wanted to know about the Horta after I read about it in one of the books (I THINK - correct me if I;m wrong - that it was the Dyson's Sphere book). What exactly ARE they??

The Horta is a Silicon based life form that can move through solid rock as easily as we move through the air. I guess I could describe their appearance like a huge shaggy pizza! Sorry, don't how else to descibe them..The TOS episode "Devil in the Dark" is one of my favs..You should try to see it at some point.

Click for Spoiler:

There was only 1 adult Horta and thousands of eggs on this mining planet..Spock has a mind meld scene with the Horta that

I'll never forget..

Devil In The Dark.

Something I read a while back about that episode, William Shatners father died shortly before this episode was filming (or possibly while it was filming) I think you can see in his close ups in the middle of the episode there is a somberness to him.

Devil in the dark was TOS's "Darmok",the episode that sums up what Starfleet's mission is all about.Too bad Horta's didn't make an appearance on any of the post-TOS series'.

"Devil in the Dark",for me.Its one of those stories that sum up what Star Trek is all about.Exploring the unknown,meeting strange new beings,overcoming our differences,and peaceful coexistance.

:klingon:

"Devil" is probably the better story but for me it's a very dark and depressing episode. Bill Shatner lost his father durring filming and it shows, one may think it was just great acting ... and it was, but knowing the reason behind it makes it depressing.

"Dagger" was a very good episode and tho it didn't contain the riviting "meld" with the Horta, it was the episode that gave birth to the Vulcan mind-meld.

Both episodes wer intriguing, thoughtful and keep me glued to my seat. Which one do I prefer?

Devil in the Dark. Solving a mystery, using our resources without fully understanding the consequences, overcoming barriers and coming to a solution which benefits all. Classic TOS.

'No Kill I' :angry: