Which type of Navy do you think is more cost effective  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of Navy do you think is more cost effective

• A large fleet of Destroyers and Frigates
    • A mixed fleet of Cruisers, Destroyers, Frigates and Corvettes
    • Frigates and Corvettes
    • Cruisers and Destroyers
    • Battleships, All Battleships!

I tend to think a mixed fleet of Cruisers, Destroyers, Frigates and Corvettes would make a well ballanced surface Navy. a pyramid type structure with many corvettes at the bottom, and a small force of Cruisers at the top is probably a pretty cost effective way to build a Navy. Obviously, in today's world, you need ships like Aircraft Carriers, Submarines (not neccisarily Nuclear powered, though) and support vessels to be recognised as a good Navy, But one thing I've noticed is that the world's navies are divided into two camps: One that puts emphasis on the larger Cruisers and Destroyers, and the other that puts it's emphasis on smaller Frigates and Corvettes, with a small force of destroyers. The US Navy falls more into the former, but if you look at their ships, what the US Navy classifies as Destroyers, most nations would probably refere to as Cruisers based on their size and weapons load. the US Navy also operates a force of Frigates, primarily for ASW, but they take a back seat to the Cruisers, Destroyers, and Carriers. the navies of England, Australia and Canada, though, place their emphasis on smaller Frigates and Corvettes. These, of course, are Nations that have overseas interests to protect. If you are a nation like Italy, who's seapower is generally limited to the Mediteranian, then Corvettes and Frigates will be a good choice for you. What say you?

They are, Definatly, but they also need support vessels screening them. Carriers are the Crown Jewels, and you don't want to leave your Crown Jewels un- or Under-protected.

Carriers are very big part in the Navy. IMO the Navy does need smaller ship that can get coast closer than can get now. Even though I am on destroyer we can't get close enough to the coast and still be able maneuvering well enough.

Your Destroyer is what most nations call a cruiser, Odie. at 500+ feet long and displacing probably close to 9,000 tons, it's heavier than anything in most contemporary navies aside from Carriers. I would like to see more Frigates and even some Corvettes.

There is a very interesting book you should read. Its called Jane's Fighting Ships. It lists all warships around the world. It 's interesting on how other nations build their fleet.

Edited by Odie

I've got one from World War II. Normally, I check out their websites. I am a frequent visitor to (I think) www.Navy.Mod which is the Royal Navy's website. navy.mil.au is, I believe, the website for the RAN...That's how I normally keep tabs on things. I think it's the Germans who have a Corvette that's largest gun is a 40mm rapid fire cannon. The gun I guess is also used by the Italians, it's supposedly like a big 40 mm revolver that fires something like 600 rounds a minute.

Just a few days ago my ship fired 44 rounds from our gun. It was very cool. I could feel the gun going off. I had a very hard time keep my eyes open. Hearing protection was a must.

What do you think of DDX?

Interesting design, what I've seen of it. I remember when they were trying to decide from like four designs. When my dad was on the Chancellorsville, I went on a Tiger Cruise, and they did both day and night shoots, I thought it was awesome. they fired like 6 rounds normal, then they went into rapid-fire. that cruise was, coincidentally, the first time I got some trigger-time with the .50...

What about subs? I would think they are very important. Does the navy stress more with air communications now? I would think subs would have a certain amount of stealth.

Edited by Data

Submarines are definately important, but I was more refering to Surface Combattants. Many countries with navies operate Submarines, but only a few actually build them. The two most popular types are the German Type 209 D/E Boat, and the Russian Kilo D/E Boat. Most Submarine equipped navies use Diesel Electric because they are cheap and easy to maintain. the US is the only Navy to my knowledge that has a submarine force that does not include any D/E boats.