Sign in to follow this  
HRH The KING

The Battle Of Trafalger

Oh yes, many died to protect the noble Reds from the invading Blues .... :P

Is there any site that lists which ships are in the actual reenactment and what countries they are from?

Personal historical note (of interest only to me :unsure: ). One of my Great great grandfathers was supposedly a drummer's boy at the later Battle of Waterloo.

I always heard he was on the British side, not the Reds or the Blues. B)

I was looking at the pictures of the Fleet Her Majesty inspected...I saw two Japenese Destroyers, and what looked to be an American Carrier out in the distance, but I couldn't identify any American ships precisely. I read the article, and it said "167 Ships partaking" I knew that it was an international force---The Royal Navy has something on the order of 27 Surface Warships, and a dozen submarines....Oh, and I did notice a Russian Cruiser in there...it's the one with the dark grey hull, and the hull number amidships.

Edit: I just counted...Now counting support vessels and Carriers, the RN has 32 Capitol Warships.

Edited by Gary_Phaserman

This "red team" and "blue team" crap offends me.

It was the Royal Navy against the Franco-Spanish fleet.

Screw political correctness.

I want political accuracy.

You mean, 15, right? And, im in BC, so... it's not such a big deal here

Well, if hes in BC, that explains it. BC has been trying to become a part of the USA since the mid-1800s. They probably teach US history there.

No, they teach us the History of Japan, Arabia, medieval times, and then they put it in context by teaching us about ours. BTW, we arent trying to become part of the US, kor.

we arent trying to become part of the US, kor

Start by researching "McGowan's War", then follow this up by researching the "Annexation Party Of British Columbia". They even have their own website.

Yah, thats like, what, 2% of our population that want to seperate?

Wow. You really researched that quickly..........or are you just guessing?

I can talk about anything I want. I just read a whole magazine about BC. I probably know more about BC than you do...lol

ha,ha... funny! You read a magazine about it? i've lived here all my life, i know more about it then you know about it. Also, i probably know more about the US then you do

I'm not continuing this with you on this thread. This thread is about the Battle of Trafalgar, not your lack of knowledge of history. This is my final post in this thread about this.

Well the Battle of Trafalgar went out of the topic pretty quickly.

Must say I am surprised they haven't taught you anything about it. It doesn't matter where you're from it's an important part of the world's history.

Anyway...

I was watching it on TV today and the whole event seemed rather impressive. The blue team and red team idea is a little ridiculous but other than that, it's quite an interesting display.

I was taught about trafalger in grade school.I was very impressed by Nelson,even back then.I remember going to the library and doing loads of research on Nelson,the battle,the Royal navy,everything. :unsure: I even wanted to join the RN for a while when I was a kid.Pretty funny for a hillbilly from the Ozarks,I guess.

Actually,just a few days ago I was browsing a Horatio Nelson site on the Net. It's still a fascinating topic.I know Gene Roddenberry was interested in the man,and Trafalger.

As I Recall, Nelson's move splitting the lines at Trafalgar was also used later by the Royal Navy, but in a different context. Nelson drove his ships into the French/Spanish lines and fired broadsides into the relatively unprotected bows and sterns of the opposing force. Later, I think it was at Jutland, but I'll have to check, another British Admiral "Capped the T", having his ships fire broadsides into an enemy column. the Enemy forces were decimated because they could only fire their forward guns, while the British ships could fire their full Broadsides (firing full broadsides is refered to by some in the US Navy as going "John Wayne")