Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

What Is Star Trek?

What does Star Trek mean to you? Is it just another TV show you watch or did it change your life in any way? Why does Trek have such appeal for the fans? What are your personal thoughts on this subject of what makes Trek so great and why it’s lasted so long?

My personal feelings are that yeah it’s just a show, but it has a prophetic hopefulness for the future. It really does show hope when there may be none visible at the present time. Simply put, to me it’s inspiration. Not just for what the future can be, but for what I can be. I feel that’s the magic of this thing called Star Trek, it feels good and makes you feel good about yourself and surroundings.

I'm not sure Star Trek has really affected me more than any other television show I've ever really liked.

My mother thought Trek sparked my interest in astronomy and space as a teenager,but it was the other way around.My fascination with space and my imagination concerning what we might one day discovery "up there",led me to Star Trek:TNG when it debuted.

Actually,it's kind of tragic....but at school I was considered much cooler before I geeked out on TNG and began discussing Trek with teachers and wearing Trek shirts.

Trek is like a book, a really good book, that you read over and over again just because you miss the characters. There are four things I feel this way about: Star Trek, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Stephen King -- his Dark Tower series and selected other novels of his.

Star Trek is also something that I share with my husband, just one of the many things that we have in common.

I think that Trek is an unlikely future for our world. Maybe in a parallel universe things will turn out the way that Trek has depicted the future. So "hope" for our future really doesn't enter into my Trek feelings one way or the other.

I only know that I miss Deep Space Nine the way you miss close friends, or a certain time in your life (college), or family that has passed away. If I think about it long enough, my eyes well up and I get a lump in my throat. The original cast comes in a close second, with TNG following a bit behind.