Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Vuyager's warp core.

I've always wondered why Voyager's warp core looked different to the ones that were shown on the Enterprise D and E and Defiant. They were sort of like rows of tubes with neon lights while the one on Voyager was like a blue disco going on inside a pipe. It looks very much like the Motion Picture warp core. The warp core on Voyager took one hell of a bashing.

I believe Voyager's warpcore was experrimental as well as it's propulsion system. When Voyager was first seen in the pilot, it was the 2nd Intrepid-class starship, featuring an experrimental warp drive. However, it seems as though they find a more traditional design when correcting the "warp pollusion" problem discovered in TNG. B)

It may have also had something to do with the fact that Voyager has very different, and experimental ideas. Bio-neural gel packs for instance. You're also only using three ships as an example for comparison (Enterprise D & E and the Defiant), there are hundreds of ships in Star Fleet, so a bunch of them may have warp cores similar to Voyagers.

i liked Voyager's design, ultimately, and agree that her systems were experimental and looked different for that reason

You're also only using three ships as an example for comparison (Enterprise D & E and the Defiant), there are hundreds of ships in Star Fleet, so a bunch of them may have warp cores similar to Voyagers.

Please don't forget that the fleet is still rebuilding. How many ships were destroyed at Wolf359? You can't build a starship overnight and I doubt if they were using an assembly line.

I preferred the humming ''throbbing'' one from TNG. It seemed more powerful.

Mee too. Wasn't the VOY core simular to the core of the Ent in TMP? What happened?

Although VOY took a beating the Core always seemed to be stable. I dont know about the other ships, but I think from what I read from previous posts, VOY was experimental with their technology, which must of meant that it was going to be updated as soon as their main mission was going to be over. With the looks of VOY's warp core system, I think it looked a lot like the core in ENT's show 'Cogeneter'. Didn't anyone notice the vast similarites?

While Voyagers warp core actually looked like warp plasma was flowing through it, it didn't have the pulse that made the other engines seem so cool. I think a combination of Voyager's engine look plus a pulse would make it much better. I never really liked how the other engines used neon lights. You could see that they are lights and not plasma. I could never understand why Star Trek has to use so many blinking lights that have no purpose. Hello tricorder!