Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Can Stargate SG-1 Survive Without Anderson?

From SyFy Portal:

Author: Wayne Hall

Date: 06-12-2005

Source: Now Playing magazine

Richard Dean Anderson, who has played General Jack O'Neill for eight seasons on "Stargate SG-1," said he will not return as a series regular because he needs more time with his family, according to an interview with Now Playing magazine.

"My immediate future is, employment-wise, that I don't want to leave Los Angeles for a while," Anderson said. "I'd rather not do a series that would keep me end-to-end five days a week."

Rumors of Anderson's desire to reduce his role or leave the show altogether have circulated since the fifth season. To accommodate the actor, changes were made in how "SG-1" was produced.

"Part of my situation with MGM in the latter years was to create a schedule that allowed me to spend more time down here in Los Angeles," he said. "However, it's gotten to the point where I can't even do what I need to do to accommodate my daughter now."

Anderson isn't planning on leaving acting altogether, though. "I've had some offers to do some things that would shoot here," he said.

Does that mean fans have seen Jack taunt the bad guys with his trademark sarcastic remarks for the last time? Not quite, Anderson said. O'Neill will appear at least once this year.

"I've done a couple of scenes for 'Stargate' to help launch the ninth season and help make it clear that O'Neill is still alive and that we may see him again somewhere down the line," said Anderson.

Anderson hopes that should he return again, it would be a welcome surprise. "May see him. May not, but may. But may not," he said.

However, if that's not enough to satisfy "Stargate" fans, the actor has also provided his voice for the upcoming "Stargate SG-1: The Alliance" video game.

Season nine of "Stargate SG-1" and the second year for "Stargate Atlantis" will premier on the SciFi Channel on Friday, July 15.

I've never watched Stargate so I'm not sure what impact this would have.

I thought Atlantis would be awful when I read that they included David Hewlett's reprisal of Dr. Rodney McKay as a regular cast member. Boy, was that a good move on their part - he and Flanigan "make the show" - the people in charge obviously know what they're doing - so I'm expecting good things from the new SG1.

It will definitely be a different show without Anderson but I'm not sure it won't survive. Ben Browder has a lot of onscreen appeal - and as much as I love the remaining cast - none of them could handle the screen alone like RDA could. IMO, Shanks came closest but could be because they wrote better parts for him. It's just really hard to tell what direction the show will take. I'm also curious what role the new CO will have because Beau Bridges is not a bit part actor.

It's been RDA lite for a couple of seasons now - and he will be missed - but they've all said it's like starting a whole new series. I'm looking forward to it. :lol:

I doubt it will last to a tenth season, the show has had a great run but Richard Dean Anderson leaving the show will be a real blow to the series. Besides that at the end of the last series they pretty much defeated and killed all the enemies they'd been fighting since the show began all those years ago.

I didn't really think I'd like 'Atlantis' but I quite enjoyed the first season and you're right, McKay really steals the show.

it depends on how well this season goes. there a factors to consider. but i think it's possible for a tenth season. i'll just have to wait and see.

tm :lol:

Lets See..I Think All The Major Goa'uld Expect Bal Are Dead...The Replicators Are Gone.....But We Still Have The Now Goa'uld(Cloned From Adriane Conrad's) Controled 'Trust'....

And You're Right TUH...Without McCay, That Show Be Lost...I Also Like The Doctor...Who Will Be A Regular In Season 2, While...Oh...What's His Name...The One Played By Rainbow Sun Franks...He'll Be Recurring Chracter.

I am also optimistic that the show could take a new direction and still be successful. It depends on having new challenges or threats and on how the new characters are integrated into the show or how they shake things up. But I will miss RDA and his sarcastic humor.

Not sure will have to see how it all plays out but if does make it to year 10 then that might be a good time to finish it(SG-1)give SG-Atlantis the chance to reach at least 7 years?? but RDA will be missed.