Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

In the Pale Moonlight on Spike

If you've never seen an episode of DS9 or followed the dominion war, then let this be the one to see.. Its hailed by many as the best episode of trek ever with no exaggeration.. As I have seen every episode of ST minus the cartoons, I believe this is definitely one to Tivo or VCR

its on spike Tv at 1100am pacific on thursday 6/16th

If you've never seen an episode of DS9 or followed the dominion war, then let this be the one to see..  Its hailed by many as the best episode of trek ever with no exaggeration.. As I have seen every episode of ST minus the cartoons, I believe this is definitely one to Tivo or VCR

its on spike Tv at 1100am pacific on thursday 6/16th

330828[/snapback]

Many polls have found this episode to be the best of any Star Trek episode, even our own polls here came to this conclusion.

The first time I saw this episode I was just awe struck, it is truly a masterpiece. Here's a thread that discusses the episode and contains a video clip from the episode. http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=14896

Do you really think that someone who has never watched DS9 would truly appreciate this episode? If you don't know Garak and what he represents based on watching his character develop over the past 6 seasons, is it possible for a person to understand the level of Sisko's desperation in turning to him?

Just a question. It is a marvelous episode, but DS9 was such a "serial" type show that I think of the entire series as one long episode rather than 7 seasons of 25+ separate stories.

(I think that a better introduction to DS9 for a non-Niner might be an episode like "The Visitor" or even "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light.")

I think DS9 having that sense of continuity was part of what made it such a great series. Continuity, as far as story lines go, is something that has been mostly absent in star trek shows before DS9, and even after it.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that we were always reminded of events that happened a few seasons ago, because it showed how each character has grown- how their very personality has evolved.

Truly and surely, that is what reality is about, and that, in my humble opinion, is one of the many things that made DS9 such a great Star Trek series.

Mav

Do you really think that someone who has never watched DS9 would truly appreciate this episode?  If you don't know Garak and what he represents based on watching his character develop over the past 6 seasons, is it possible for a person to understand the level of Sisko's desperation in turning to him? 

Just a question.  It is a marvelous episode, but DS9 was such a "serial" type show that I think of the entire series as one long episode rather than 7 seasons of 25+ separate stories.

(I think that a better introduction to DS9 for a non-Niner might be an episode like "The Visitor" or even "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light.")

331267[/snapback]

I've thought the same thing, but I had come to the conclusion that even though someone might not know the whole back story and development they would still be able to see how powerful the episode is. If someone has seen Star Trek before they will see that this episode is quite different and is a very powerful episode.

So I think that if someone that has never seen DS9 before were to see it they would very much like it and likely be hooked into watching more. They might not yet agree with the conclusion that it is the greatest of all Treks but in my opinion they would still be blown away by this episode.

I think DS9 having that sense of continuity was part of what made it such a great series. Continuity, as far as story lines go, is something that has been mostly absent in star trek shows before DS9, and even after it.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that we were always reminded of events that happened a few seasons ago, because it showed how each character has grown- how their very personality has evolved.

Truly and surely, that is what reality is about, and that, in my humble opinion, is one of the many things that made DS9 such a great Star Trek series.

Mav

331335[/snapback]

Yes, DS9 was great for keeping their storylines tied to each other. Like in Rapture, which was in the 5th season where Sisko comes into the meeting room and says that Bajor should not join the Federation because of the Locust and that Bajor must stand alone. We see the reason for that in the 6th season when the Dominion War breaks out and Bajor signs the non-aggression pact with the Dominion in order to keep it safe.

There are a lot of other instances where this kind of thing happens but I love that about DS9. It's as if they started painting a giant picture in the first episode and by the last episode they've completed the picture and all of the various parts tell a 7 year story.