Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

American Dream

Is the American Dream a reality of myth?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is the American Dream a reality of myth?

• Reality
    • Myth

As I don't live in the US I am not really qualified to give a full opinion, but from what I have seen the American Dream does exist but only through hard work and extreme luck as it would be unrealistic to believe that each person is given the necessary chance in life, just look at Arthur Miller's representation of this subject in most of his work.

I don't live there ether but I think it is real even though you have to work for it but then nothings for free and the chance they give you is alot better and the gains are alot higher.

I nulled my vote as I am:

1. I've lived in a very small town for my entire life, I'd like to get a grasp on what the rest of America is like first.

2. Don't quite understand what you're talking about :rolleyes:

Maybe you could define what you mean "American Dream"

I refer to the simple defination of equality, fredom and opportunities for all to achieve.

Ahhhh.... :rolleyes:

Thank you!

In that case, I think it is more a reality than a myth. However, with the way our government is being run and how the press doesn't seem to be telling the whole story...I think some of it is starting to wear down. I just hope we can fix it.

I refer to the simple defination of equality, fredom and opportunities for all to achieve.

Ahhhh.... :ph34r:

Thank you!

In that case, I think it is more a reality than a myth. However, with the way our government is being run and how the press doesn't seem to be telling the whole story...I think some of it is starting to wear down. I just hope we can fix it.

Well in my opinion and from my experience the freedom and equality are there. It was more the issue of opportuinties of all that I was refering to when I discussed Miller. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh.... :ph34r:

Thank you!

Well in my opinion and from my experience the freedom and equality are there. It was more the issue of opportuinties of all that I was refering to when I discussed Miller.

Okay, thanks :rolleyes:

I voted myth,equality is not there yet.Women still mostly make less money than men and racial issues are still alive and well which is sad since we're now in the 21st century.And we seem to be losing more freedoms than getting more freedoms.

I'd say more reality than myth. Today is a great time to be alive. People have nearly equal opportunities - you can't go back in time to any time you could say people had more opportunity, equality, and freedom.

I think its more a reality than a myth.

What other country offers you the freedoms this one does? If you set your mind to it and want it bad enough, you can achieve your dream.

You can reach any star...

I have to vote real. I'm a first generation American decended from German Parents who came here after WWII. The dream is really just having the opportunity to make what life you can for yourself using your god given talents and abilities to the utmost with no one telling you if what you're doing is correct or not. As long as what you're doing isn't illegal you ccan go as far as your dreams can carry you. Of course, in the history of this country there have been many men who made their fortunes using somewhat shady tactics and the great failed experiment of prohibition produced a number of families that rose to power providing illegal substances, but that is one of the prices for freedom and living in a market society. It may not be perfect but taken as a whole, it sure beats what the world was like before the US came into existence.

I voted myth,equality is not there yet.Women still mostly make less money than men and racial issues are still alive and well which is sad since we're now in the 21st century.And we seem to be losing more freedoms than getting more freedoms.

I agree with you...

I agree with you...

That kind of thing will likely never be ended. But that's situational. Where I work pay is based on merit. There are women that do the exact same job I do and they make more, there are some women that do the same exact same job and I make more.

There are more black managers where I work then white and the opportunities for other races is great as well.

Do we have sexism in America? Yes. Do we have Racism in America? Yes. Can a woman succeed at her life's goals and do anything she wants? Yes. Can a minority do the same? Yes.

Things aren't perfect, we have our problems but they are improving every day and every year.

I predict we will have a Black president soon (Colin Powell should he decide to run). I don't believe Hillary Clinton will be the first woman president though. Possibly Liddy Dole though.

The American dream is a reality, but the part of The American Dream that a lot of people forget about is the hard work it takes to achieve it. There are obstacles but everyone can overcome them.

I was just thinking a little more about this question. I don't know that this is a question that an American can really answer. To me, "The American Dream" means someone living in an oppressed land dreaming of a better life. A place where he or she can raise a family and prosper at whatever they wish to do with their lives.

President Reagan often said something that always impressed me:

"You can go to Turkey and live there your whole life, but never really become a Turk. You can go to Japan and live there, but never really become Japanese. You can go to Germany, but never become German. But, you can come from any place in the world and become an American.'' ~ Ronald Reagan

To me, That's the American Dream more then anything else.

The American Dream to me has always been the white picket fence, with a lovely wife, two great children, a dog, and a great house and car. That represents for me working hard, achieving greatness, and being happy. I think that equality will come with that, and freedomg and opportunities to achieve are already there. Sure, some people don't want that, but the truth is that many people want and promote through their work and lives equality, feedom, and achievemnt.

~Conor

I was just thinking a little more about this question. I don't know that this is a question that an American can really answer. To me, "The American Dream" means someone living in an oppressed land dreaming of a better life. A place where he or she can raise a family and prosper at whatever they wish to do with their lives.

President Reagan often said something that always impressed me:

"You can go to Turkey and live there your whole life, but never really become a Turk. You can go to Japan and live there, but never really become Japanese. You can go to Germany, but never become German. But, you can come from any place in the world and become an American.'' ~ Ronald Reagan

To me, That's the American Dream more then anything else.

Exactly, the 'American Dream' means different things to different people, as you have to ask, is it the aspiration or the achievement that is of higher value.