Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

June 6th 1944

It's been 61 years since Allied troops participated in the largest naval invasion in human history.

Don't forget, it wasn't just American troops storming the beach. We were allied with the UK and France, as well as the Russians storming across the Eastern Front which kept the deadly Panzer tanks from arriving on time.

Typical, Canada's role is ignored (no offense to Mr. P). Canadians actually pushed in the furthest on D-Day (the only troops to meet their objective) and all the Canadians who died at Dieppe paved the way for this invasion.

I'm not trying to take anything thing from anyone, but the Canadians who died deserve as much credit as anyone.

All the people who fought and died deserve much praise.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

Don't forget, it wasn't just American troops storming the beach.  We were allied with the UK and France, as well as the Russians storming across the Eastern Front which kept the deadly Panzer tanks from arriving on time.

329183[/snapback]

Commonwealth countries were also involved with the Canadians sending a large number of troops. There is a very impressive D-Day Museum in New Orleans, which marks not only this Normandy invasion but also all the other D-Days involving the Pacific theater. It is well worth visiting. It has some landing craft, many of which were manufactured in the New Orleans area.

Many companies that make videos about D-Day are based in the US, and they know most of their consumers are Americans, so they pander to them the most.

Many companies that make videos about D-Day are based in the US, and they know most of their consumers are Americans, so they pander to them the most.

329189[/snapback]

Oh yeah I know that and sorry if I jumped down your throat there. Everyone who fought and died on D-Day and in the whole war deserve our respect. It just bothers me that Canada is ignored in most D-Day productions (which is understandable because, like you said, they are typically American-produced).

Typical, Canada's role is ignored (no offense to Mr. P). Canadians actually pushed in the furthest on D-Day (the only troops to meet their objective) and all the Canadians who died at Dieppe paved the way for this invasion.

I'm not trying to take anything thing from anyone, but the Canadians who died deserve as much credit as anyone.

329186[/snapback]

Don't forget about the Aussies.

329186[/snapback]

329208[/snapback]

Hmm..I was not aware the Aussies took part in WWII. Learn something new everyday. I assume it was mostly against Japan since it wouldn't really be feasible to bring Australian forces all the way to Europe.

The Aussies did serve in the European theater, there wasn't many land fighting in the Pacific theater, except for the deadly island hopping. And Jack, I wasn't offened, I just forgot about you Canucks :(.

329186[/snapback]

329208[/snapback]

Hmm..I was not aware the Aussies took part in WWII. Learn something new everyday. I assume it was mostly against Japan since it wouldn't really be feasible to bring Australian forces all the way to Europe.

329210[/snapback]

Yes, the Aussies played a big part in the Normandy Invasion.

Interesting tidbit, the Maquis helped the Allies out by disrupting Axis communication.

329221[/snapback]

Much like the Cardassian resistance during the final days of the Dominion war.

Okay, ignore that. Stay on topic.

Interesting tidbit, the Maquis helped the Allies out by disrupting Axis communication.

329221[/snapback]

Much like the Cardassian resistance during the final days of the Dominion war.

Okay, ignore that. Stay on topic.

329223[/snapback]

Uh...I guess. The Maquis in WWII were resistance fighters trying to liberate France from a puppet government, Vichy France. The Maquis were never against the Allies, unlike the Cardassian resistance. The Cardassians turned against the Dominion when they were being ignored and overshadowed by Jem'Hadar and Breen soldiers.

329186[/snapback]

329208[/snapback]

329210[/snapback]

Canadians and Aussies landed on Juno beach, as I recall. But the Aussies are more known for their role in the PTO (Pacific Theatre of Operations) since it is, litterally, their own back yard. Aussies were responsible for the safe recovery of hundreds, if not thousands, of downed US Naval Aviators, and they also helped in the battles of the Solomons (Including Guadalcanal), the Philipines, and on up the islands. June 6th, 1944 is the D-Day everyone remembers because of the size of it, and the effect it had, but against the Germans there were no less than 3 other D-Days (Operation Torch in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy.) plus countless D-Days in the Pacific during the Island Hopping campaigns, most notably, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima ( where this :( emoticon comes from, the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi on day 4 of the 36 day battle) Okinowa, Tarawa, and many others.

Jim, a few posts up, I posted a link about the Normandy Invasion.