Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Star Trek Movie Analysis

This is a place where we can analyze the Trek movie series. :o

To start us off, I think the fate of #11 should be looked at in a new light.

Movies 1-6 were TOS movies. The 7th movie had 3 TOS characters and the complete TNG cast. I like to look at it as both a TOS and a TNG movie. :laugh: Then we 8-10 were TNG cast movies, however, Worf doubles as a DS9 character in 8&9. heh

Well, with that said, I think that the next movie could satisfy everyone! We could have a flashback scene to ENT with 2 or 3 characters, then we could have 2 or 3 characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY. You could see this as a "mixed cast" movie, or you could see this as a TNG, DS9, or VOY movie, depending on your perspective. So, even if we only had Riker and Troi from TNG, if they both were lead characters, then you could call #11 a TNG movie. I bet ya didn't think to look at it that way, eh?

Anywho, my point is, they proved they could have more than one cast in a movie with Generations, so I think it's time they do it again for #11. What about you?

I think that would be fine if you only aimed the next film at Star Trek fans alone, however I think such an idea would only serve to confuse and alienate the casual movie goer and would probabily lead to the end of the film franchise.

Don't get me wrong, your idea could work for the fans who know all the history of every series of the show, but you would need to introduce each character and discuss why they have been thrown together so that someone with no knowledge or little knowledge could also enjoy the film. The problem comes from the fact that an introduction/explanation would probabily take up half the film and lead to a weakening of the major plot, which would be a problem indeed.

To be honest I think it would be easier to introduce a new cast as you could do them all at once and it would take half the time. If you want my honest and brutal opinion I would have to say that the next film will either be TNG or they will wait for five/six years and make an Enterprise film. I say this because:

1. DS9 had a wide scope for a series and during that time every aspect was fully explored with the reliance on one major plot arc, leaving no thread for a future film.

2. Voyager would have very little appeal as most fans say it was their least favourite series, and if the fans would not be overly keen then I can see that the general public would be either.

3. TNG :o and its cast are very well known and has a very large fan base. It also has the ability to pull in non-fans of the show who go through loyality to an actor i.e. Patrick Stewart fans.

4. Enterprise is succeeding where others have failed as it appears to be then heir to the TNG legacy. It has a good crew with well known actors such as Scott, and it is not quite so dependant on a major plot arc in the same way that Voyager and DS9 were, therefore allowing it more freedom. :laugh:

2. Voyager would have very little appeal as most fans say it was their least favourite series, and if the fans would not be overly keen then I can see that the general public would be either.

I disagree with you there, I think that Voyager has a good fan base, not as big as TNG, but it's still there. And there are a lot of fans who want to see them again, and a lot of loose ends to tie up, for those who haven't read Homecoming. Maybe they could make that into a movie...The TNG crew would have a cameo, and we'd see Star Fleet HQ, and more of the civilian life.

Most everyone from Paramount and the actors from TNG have said that their done with being in TNG movies.

It would be fun to have a mixed crew movie, but trying to tie in the ENT cast would be too complicated and make no sense. Let's wait untill they're done with the show for a movie. I'd like to see Voyager, DS9, and perhaps a little bit of TNG.

I think that would be fine if you only aimed the next film at Star Trek fans alone, however I think such an idea would only serve to confuse and alienate the casual movie goer and would probabily lead to the end of the film franchise.

Don't get me wrong, your idea could work for the fans who know all the history of every series of the show, but you would need to introduce each character and discuss why they have been thrown together so that someone with no knowledge or little knowledge could also enjoy the film. The problem comes from the fact that an introduction/explanation would probabily take up half the film and lead to a weakening of the major plot, which would be a problem indeed.

Why would it only work for the fans, eh? All you'd have to do is have a good 10 mins or so explaining why the differernt characters are getting together. Do you really think people are so dumb as to not think people get reassigned? :laugh: Besides, what would be soooo difficult to explain?

Movies are difficult things to make. I dont think that ten minutes would be enough to set up a load of characters for an audience. Having them all thrown into together, is in my view, a tacky idea. The Star Trek universe is a big place and a script which brings the four series together is silly. It just cant be done. We dont need crossovers. We dont need quantity. We need QUALITY. A good story line. A few characters to execute that. That will do.

I disagree with you there, I think that Voyager has a good fan base, not as big as TNG, but it's still there. And there are a lot of fans who want to see them again, and a lot of loose ends to tie up, for those who haven't read Homecoming. Maybe they could make that into a movie...The TNG crew would have a cameo, and we'd see Star Fleet HQ, and more of the civilian life.

Most everyone from Paramount and the actors from TNG have said that their done with being in TNG movies.

It would be fun to have a mixed crew movie, but trying to tie in the ENT cast would be too complicated and make no sense. Let's wait untill they're done with the show for a movie. I'd like to see Voyager, DS9, and perhaps a little bit of TNG.

Sorry, I don't think it came out quite as was meant. I was simply assessing the relatative fan bases and overall popularity of both shows with the general public, and my believe that TNG would be more likely to pull more people in to see it, especially as they have already made the crossover from TV to film.

The fact that the writers resolved the major plot arc is another thing that might stand against the show as I really think they could have saved that to make an exciting film, but thats not to say that it could not or should not be made, but it was a shame that the homecoming could not be saved for a big budget.

To be honest I would would not mind if we saw at least one film from each of the series, but to put it simply I believe that TNG is the biggest and best series to come out of Star Trek (not including TOS) and it has a larger fanbase and more famous stars, hence a TNG film is more likely to generate more money than a film of the other series.

However, that was not the major point of my post. The general intention was to point out my personal belief that a film which contained 2 or 3 characters from each series would be highly unlikely due to the fact that it would take a large amount of the film to give each character his or her 'moment' and to explain effectively the seperate reasons for each of the characters coming together. In that sense it would be a lot easier to have one crew as would allow more time to be spent on the major plot.

Movies are difficult things to make. I dont think that ten minutes would be enough to set up a load of characters for an audience. Having them all thrown into together, is in my view, a tacky idea. The Star Trek universe is a big place and a script which brings the four series together is silly. It just cant be done. We dont need crossovers. We dont need quantity. We need QUALITY. A good story line. A few characters to execute that. That will do.

OK, so I was wrong to say they'd only need 10 mins. Remember how Worf joined the Enterprise crew in ST:FC? That's the kind of thing they could do for the varrious characters to get together. Why's it tacky? We're not talking about bringing four series together, we're talking about using a few characters from TNG, DS9, & VOY for a new adventure or series of adventures. "It just can't be done." Go watch Star Trek: Generations. Who said anything about quantity? You'd still have a cast of 8 ro 9 characters just like any of the other movies. It cam be done with quallity, what's your reason that it couldn't be?

Sorry, I don't think it came out quite as was meant. I was simply assessing the relatative fan bases and overall popularity of both shows with the general public, and my believe that TNG would be more likely to pull more people in to see it, especially as they have already made the crossover from TV to film.

The fact that the writers resolved the major plot arc is another thing that might stand against the show as I really think they could have saved that to make an exciting film, but thats not to say that it could not or should not be made, but it was a shame that the homecoming could not be saved for a big budget.

To be honest I would would not mind if we saw at least one film from each of the series, but to put it simply I believe that TNG is the biggest and best series to come out of Star Trek (not including TOS) and it has a larger fanbase and more famous stars, hence a TNG film is more likely to generate more money than a film of the other series.

However, that was not the major point of my post. The general intention was to point out my personal belief that a film which contained 2 or 3 characters from each series would be highly unlikely due to the fact that it would take a large amount of the film to give each character his or her 'moment' and to explain effectively the seperate reasons for each of the characters coming together. In that sense it would be a lot easier to have one crew as would allow more time to be spent on the major plot.

Okay, I agree that too many characters would kind of ruin the plot. I have a feeling DS9 is next in line for a movie, but when Voyagers turn comes around I think turning Homecoming into a movie, and tweeking it in places would work nicely. Picard show up a bit, and Janeway even boards the Enterprise a one point, so I think that would work. It would give TNG fans a good dose of their captain and crew.

As for major plot arc, they can come up with a crisis dealing with an alien from the Delta Quadrant that wanted to seek revenge, and Voyager's crew are the ones who know the most about it.

JMHO

Here's something to think about:

1979 - There was only Star Trek, so naturally, that was the cast of characters to use in the movie, and it's sequals durring the 80's.

1987 - Star Trek returned to TV in the form of ST:TNG. Durring this spin-off, they decided to make 2 more TOS movies, the 2nd of which being their final adventure.

1993 - 2nd spin-off series came out, intended to replace TNG. We now had TNG and DS9 on for 2 years.

1994 - We had DS9 going into it's 3rd season. With the mass success of TNG, it was decided it would immediately take on the movies in the absense of TOS.

1995 - It was decided to have 2 Trek series on at once, thus VOY hit the air waves.

1996 - First Contact, the 2nd TNG movie, came out while DS9 was in it's 5th season while VOY was in it's 3rd season.

1998 - Insurrection, another TNG movie, came out while DS9 was in it's 7th/final season while VOY was in it's 5th season.

1999 - DS9 comes to an end after airing alongside TNG for 2 years and VOY for 5 years.

2001 - VOY comes to a conclussion after 7 years. The following fall, a prequal series, Enterprise, premeirs, taking us on a grand depature not seen since the premiere of TNG.

2002 - Durring ENT's 2nd season, we have a 4th and final TNG movie.

Now, back when it was TOS, TOS movies were the choice. Then when TNG was on, they decided to make 2 more movies. With TNG's success, they decided to go ahead and make more Trek movies. However, it seems Trek's been oversaturated.

In my opinion, these would be the best movie options:

Deep Space Nine - If nothing else, just do one movie about Sisko's return.

Voyager - There's an endless number of ideas if they decide to pursue this idea.

New Cast - This could be just what the franchise needs! Bring in a new ship and an entirely new crew, with maybe an established character or two from one of the series or movies, and build on an existing story for the fans. Newbies would get all excited, then check out ENT! :laugh:

Now, you may be asking, "What about TNG or a mixed cast?" Well, I believe that TNG's run it's coarse. I agree with Stewart not wanting to do a 5th TNG movie. I think he feels that another movie would do just as badly, and I think he'd prefer to leave Trek on a high note. While I was annoyed with not seeing much of LaForge and Crusher in the movie, I think it rocked. As for a mixed cast? Well, I just don't think the character chemestry could be captured in the way that they did when they cast a group of actors for a tv series. It might seemed forced, the fans might not find it believeable that they all just "happen" to find each other, and the audience might be confused why they all show up in the same movie, as other fans might be mad that they'd use Janeway and not Chakotay or vice versa for example.

So, in conclussion, I say DS9, VOY, or a new cast would be the best bet for #11. Any one of those 3 would do excellent, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this?

I don't like the idea of a new cast, and ENT is outta there for me; Star Trek should not have jumped on the prequel bandwagon (yech!) - I really think a trilogy, an epic, something involing both DS9 and Voyager would work, and if it comes down to a choice, Voyager (pour moi); can I just say, CJLP, you know your stuff... :laugh:

I don't like the idea of a new cast, and ENT is outta there for me; Star Trek should not have jumped on the prequel bandwagon (yech!) - I really think a trilogy, an epic, something involing both DS9 and Voyager would work, and if it comes down to a choice, Voyager (pour moi); can I just say, CJLP, you know your stuff... :laugh:

Thanks! Like I said, in my opinion, DS9, VOY, or New Cast is the way to go. I myself would like to see VOY as the next cast for the big screen, even if they only get ONE movie, that'll be more than nothing! ;) However, a DS9 movie-trilogy would rock! ;)