Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Jonathan Frakes Wants To Do Another TNG Movie

Trek Nation has posted a full report with photos from the recent Autograph Show in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, featuring, among others, STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION stalwart Jonathan Frakes. Here are a few excerpts from the report, written by TrekToday reader Doug Wilson.

When one fan asked if he would do another movie after STAR TREK NEMESIS, Frakes replied, "Sure, I wish we had done another movie after NEMESIS. I wish we had done another movie instead of NEMESIS. I mean, it was a good film, but it wasn't what the fans want. The majority of STAR TREK fans, I think, go to see a STAR TREK film the first weekend expecting to see us," he said, speaking of the entire TNG cast

"You know, they want to see a lot of Old Baldy," he explained, joking about Patrick Stewart, "a lot of Brent [spiner], and the rest of us. Instead, they got to see, basically, this new guy - this good actor, Tom Hardy - who played 'Shinzon', a little of Old Baldy, and a little of Brent and not much else."

I don't typically like those "mirror universe" episodes, but anything would have been better than Nemesis.

How vindicated I feel in my dislike of this movie after reading Frakes comments. Seems like the cast didn't much care for this movie either ... at least they understand what the fans want. Why doesn't one of the cast members write the next movie?

Seems like the cast didn't much care for this movie either ...

As far as I know, only Frakes has spoken out against Nemesis. Plus, the only reason he disliked it was because he wasn't in it much and they wouldn't let him direct it.

"Sure, I wish we had done another movie after NEMESIS.

He did make another TNG film. It was called "These Are The Voyages...".............

Seems like the cast didn't much care for this movie either ...

As far as I know, only Frakes has spoken out against Nemesis. Plus, the only reason he disliked it was because he wasn't in it much and they wouldn't let him direct it.

328389[/snapback]

Well, his lack of screen time was one of the reasons I disliked the movie. Not enough screen time for any of the main characters IMO. I've always felt that these shows were character driven as opposed to action flicks. I could have done with more interaction between Troi/Riker, a serious and meaningful conversation between Worf and anyone .... and eliminating that dune buggy thing all together.

They should have let Frakes direct it and someone else should have written a better screenplay ... You know, one that features the entire cast a little more and gives us less of ancillary and hitherto unknown characters. Kahn was a great villain, but you still saw plenty of Kirk, Bones, Spock and Scotty, with ample screen time for Chekov, Sulu and Uhura.

I say it's high time we see Q on the big screen ... he's the best villain of the TNG era. Not to mention what a fantastic actor John DeLancie is.

I'm all for a Q movie. They definitely should have done that. But Frakes directing again? Yuck! Hes a modern day version of Ed Wood. Great actor but horrible director.

Yes, Frakes directed First Contact and it was an awesome movie. It's not his fault that Insurrection was just a dumb story. What else could he do with it?

you don't like First Contact? I thought he did a great job in that movie

I do like First Contact. But I firmly believe that Frakes awful directing of that movie made First Contact just a very good movie rather than the awesome movie it had the potential to be.

I'm all for a Q movie. They definitely should have done that. But Frakes directing again?   Yuck!  Hes a modern day version of Ed Wood. Great actor but horrible director.

328394[/snapback]

What about First Contact? It was a great action movie, IMO.

I'd love to se a TNG move set after Nemisis. That movie was a terrible endign to TNG, IMO.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Titan movie. Riker and Troi with a new crew.

I thought both First Contact and Insurrection were great.

I'd love to see another TNG movie too, and if Frakes wants to direct it, I don't have a problem with that. All I care is that I am seeing a Star Trek movie.

They should have let Frakes direct it and someone else should have written a better screenplay ... You know, one that features the entire cast a little more and gives us less of ancillary and hitherto unknown characters.  Kahn was a great villain, but you still saw plenty of Kirk, Bones, Spock and Scotty, with ample screen time for Chekov, Sulu and Uhura.

328391[/snapback]

Have you read the screenplay? Don't judge it based on the movie. The screenplay was so much better than the finished product. Most, if not all, of the 45 minutes cut from the movie were character driven moments.

Yes, Frakes directed First Contact and it was an awesome movie.  It's not his fault that Insurrection was just a dumb story.  What else could he do with it?

328406[/snapback]

I agree that Jonathan Frakes did an awesome job with First Contact. I like (not love but like) Insurrection. I would really like to see a director's cut of the movie to see what Frakes wanted to do since I've read that the final version wasn't his vision for the flick.

As for other cast members talking about another TNG movie, I found this at TrekWeb.com today:

The latest issue of STAR TREK MAGAZINE, just out in the UK, features an exclusive interview with STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION stalwart Patrick Stewart...

Asked about the possibility of another TNG movie, he said "You know, all of us in the cast have always had the same conversation - 'Should we really be doing this film'. It didn't look like STAR TREK NEMESIS was going to happen, but then it did. After STAR TREK NEMESIS we decided that we really did want to do another one - a final one."

Stewart adds that Brent Spiner and John Logan had an idea in mind for a STAR TREK XI, which according to him, would have been a 'valentine' to the fans "It would have brought all the Captains and all the principal casts together into one movie. It would have been a winner, but the studio decided that that was it," he shrugs "It wasn't that they weren't making money from the franchise, it was they weren't making enough money to justify the spend on that size of project. Their phrase was 'franchise fatigue'. They weren't interested, and so our movies came to an end."

Not the Paramount catchphrase "frachise fatigue" was being used as far back as 2003.

I think "Berman Fatigue" is more accurate.

Bottom line is that people don't get fatigued with something that they like.

Star Trek has been struggling in recent years, Berman must take the responsibility for it.

I'm telling ya, a TNG Mirror Universe movie is the one they need to do. It gives each actor a chance to play TWO roles and they've never covered the Mirror Universe in Star Trek TNG before. Bring the Titan into the story with the Enterprise-E to get Riker and Troi into the "reunion".

To deal with the problem of Data being "dead", I recommend that they bring the Mirror Data into the real universe, downloading B4's memories into the new Data.

If they need Worf, then just say it's Picard's birthday or some plot device like that to get him aboard.

To deal with the problem of Data being "dead", I recommend that they bring the Mirror Data into the real universe, downloading B4's memories into the new Data.

If they need Worf, then just say it's Picard's birthday or some plot device like that to get him aboard.

328535[/snapback]

The problem I've always had with the idea of a Mirror Data is there already is one. His name is Lore. Now, I'd love to have a movie with Data and Lore in it though.

As for the Worf idea, :naughty:

The problem I've always had with the idea of a Mirror Data is there already is one. His name is Lore. Now, I'd love to have a movie with Data and Lore in it though.

Hmmmmm, I like it!!!! :naughty:

As for the Worf idea, 

:naughty::naughty::frusty:

Hey!! In Star Trek: Insurrection, they didn't even bother explaining what Worf was doing there:

Picard: "Mr Worf, what are you doing here?"

Worf: "Well, I was on DS9 and decided to blah blah blah......blah blah"

Picard: "I see, well that makes sense".

Edited by The King

It would be interesting to see the Mirror Data and Lore together. Now that would have made for a powerful evil duo. You could have used that put into Descent Parts I and II, expanded it, reworked it a little with the Enterprise-E instead of the old top heavy D and that could have been a movie.

Have you read the screenplay? Don't judge it based on the movie. The screenplay was so much better than the finished product. Most, if not all, of the 45 minutes cut from the movie were character driven moments.

328533[/snapback]

I have not read the screenplay. Whose decision was it to cut "45 minutes" of "character-driven" moments? Whoever made that call is not a Trek fan and should a person who is not a fan of the franchise have that sort of power over the finished product? Not if they really were interested in making money off of us.

Sometimes I wonder of Berman and company are even seeing the same Trek movies/television shows that I am ... I'm so completely baffled by the decisions they make and directions they go with this stuff.

It's really quite depressing. Oh, well, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is only weeks away. That will certainly help ease the pain of disappointment in Trek I'm feeling.

This is part of a transcript of an interview Marina Sirtis did with Chase Masterson at TheFandom.com which was posted at TrekToday:

Though Sirtis said that she did think Star Trek needed a break, she added, "I would put my spacesuit on to act with my TNG actors in a nanosecond." Claiming that Star Trek will never be over, she said that everyone from her cast would like to do another film together. "We all miss being with each other all the time. When we did the movies, it wasn't like we didn't see each other in between, but it was so much fun to spend 16 hours a day together again and just laugh." Patrick Stewart's British reserve melted until he was one of the silliest; Sirtis said that she could not describe some of his antics or "he'd kill me", but she did describe a pretend feud between Stewart and Michael Dorn, who would hide in corners and jump out at each other. "Can you imagine Patrick Stewart leaping onto a Klingon? It was hysterical." One of the first-season directors had refused to keep working with the cast because they were so rowdy, she admitted, saying that "we were reamed by Rick Berman because that had never happened in the history of Hollywood."

I'd like to know who that director was and if he is still working 18 years later. LOL

328533[/snapback]

I have not read the screenplay. Whose decision was it to cut "45 minutes" of "character-driven" moments? Whoever made that call is not a Trek fan and should a person who is not a fan of the franchise have that sort of power over the finished product? Not if they really were interested in making money off of us.

Sometimes I wonder of Berman and company are even seeing the same Trek movies/television shows that I am ... I'm so completely baffled by the decisions they make and directions they go with this stuff.

It's really quite depressing. Oh, well, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is only weeks away. That will certainly help ease the pain of disappointment in Trek I'm feeling.

328863[/snapback]

It was most likely the director, Stuart Baird, who did all the cutting. He was not a Star Trek fan. That's why I hate him. Bryan Singer has a cameo in the movie (maybe he should have directed) :(

328533[/snapback]

328863[/snapback]

It was most likely the director, Stuart Baird, who did all the cutting. He was not a Star Trek fan. That's why I hate him. Bryan Singer has a cameo in the movie (maybe he should have directed) :(

329193[/snapback]

What scene is Bryan Singer in?

Well he doesn't really say he wants to do another movie, all he said was that he wishes he had done another one or at least a different one. He was right though about the formula, more or less, there was a little too much of Shinzon and not enough of "old baldy and Brent".

I do hope they do another movie, one ready to come out in about a year, giving every a break to forget about Nemesis and be anxious for a new ST movie. Don't get me wrong I didn't hate 'Nemesis' but it just didn't have the Star Trek feel about it, it's not actually that bad a movie.

I'd hope the new one would be a war time movie, something similar to the last two episodes of DS9, not necessarily with the DS9 crew just that kind of theme and action.

I don't typically like those "mirror universe" episodes, but anything would have been better than Nemesis.

How vindicated I feel in my dislike of this movie after reading Frakes comments.  Seems like the cast didn't much care for this movie either ... at least they understand what the fans want.  Why doesn't one of the cast members write the next movie?

328388[/snapback]

The whole reason that Star Trek succeeded back in 1966 to begin with was because it had an intelligent & compelling premise, and it also had a slew of professional science fiction writers (rather then the usual stable of tv writers) which resulted in wonderful plots.

For a film to work, story is everything. They should have gotten a script from Peter David or perhaps William Gibson (author of "Neuromancer"). Instead they essentially copied "Wrath of Khan" even down to the whole dualing starships climax and the death of a significant character. If they ever do make another ST film, let us hope and pray that they don't call it "Star Trek: The Search for Data". :)

Edited by Validus

That would be Awsome, I'm gonna write it now haha

Well the Next ST movie should have all the crews in it, including Voyager, but Not Enterprise, no time travel for a while, and have Sisko as the main Character coming back from the Temple, and have Picard as a supporting one

Hey!! In Star Trek: Insurrection, they didn't even bother explaining what Worf was doing there:

328541[/snapback]

That's not how it happened...Worf said he was on a patrol or something like that and decided to delay his return to DS9 and Picard didn't respond to him because he was late for his meeting with Regent Cuzar.

Edited by What_username?

So far the ideals sound good a Miror movie would rock with cast of TNG, Voy and DS9 that would be sweet now I would love to see that movie.

Brian

I would definitely watch a Mirror Universe movie with TNG, DS9 and VOY cast members. Get a good director, a couple good writers, maybe throw in Q and you've got a winner imo.

328541[/snapback]

That's not how it happened...Worf said he was on a patrol or something like that and decided to delay his return to DS9 and Picard didn't respond to him because he was late for his meeting with Regent Cuzar.

344648[/snapback]

You're both right. It was explained but in the background. Riker is talking to Geordi at the same time Worf is explaining why he's there.

Worf: Captain

Picard: Mr. Worf. What the hell are you doing here?

Worf: I was at the Manzar colony [Riker starts talking to Geordi in foreground] installing a new defense perimeter when I heard the Enterprise was in this sector...

Picard: Stop by my quarters later; I have a few ideas about Manzar security...

Later, it was Picard who asked Worf to delay his return to DS9.

This is what Michael Dorn had to say about it:

Michael Dorn comments on the rather "rushed" way Worf arrives in the movie - "I asked them how it happened just so that I could get an idea on how to play it, and they just said 'Well, he was here. He was on the planet. . .and that's how he got up here.' They should have taken a little more care, I think, to do it, because people are asking 'What is that about? He just gets there? He's just in the neighbourhood? What type of universe is this? Or what type of Starfleet is this where people can just go 'Oh, I think I'm gonna off and I'll see you later.'?'"

From TrekPulse.com

Dude, it was a joke.