Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

(Season 2) #17 The Pirates Of Orion

What rating would you give "The Pirates Of Orion"?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Pirates Of Orion"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

#17 The Pirates Of Orion

Written by: Howard Weinstein

Directed by: Hal Sutherland

Airdate: Sept. 7, 1975

Stardate: 6334.1

Review Pending...

Voice Credits:

Regular Characters:

Captain Kirk William Shatner

Mr. Spock Leonard Nimoy

Dr. McCoy DeForest Kelley

Scotty James Doohan

Lieutenent Sulu George Takei

Lieutenent Arex James Doohan

Guest Characters:

Transporter Chief James Doohan

Captain O'Shea James Doohan

Huron first officer Majel Barrett

Huron helmsman George Takei

Orion Commander James Doohan

Orion Lieutenant George Takei

Orion Ensign James Doohan

The Orions have stolen the cure that Spock needs or he will die

This episode scores lower than I would usually rate just because it took a long time for the real story to get going. Once again, don't get me wrong, I thought the episode was good, but it did have a few slow parts that were a little dull. It is interesting to see what the Orion pirates looked like on this series compared to when we see the Orions again in later series. I would have thought they would have been more greener than they are on this episode, but that didn't hurt the story at all. An average episode that would have been better if the story was faster paced.

This one gets a 3 from me. Nice use of dialogue of the enemy party. Something we don't see much in TOS or TAS. Nice story, return to classic Spock/McCoy farcical embattlement at the end. About the most involved we see McCoy in TAS too, it would seem. Same with Arex who identifies the aliens as Orions in the first place.

The story's problems was that it was too slow, and then it rushed through the end. Needed to be balanced out a bit more, pacing wise. Only thing speeding up the early part was the warp drive, only thing slowing down the last part was the security guards holding the Orion captain.

The forced laughter of McCoy's sounded forced. Also, I think there was some sound distortion in the digitalization process, though that doesn't affect the review.

Decent, I give it a 3.

Note: Overall the animated series is pretty good, however the Saturday morning time slot really elimated the entire series from some of the hallmarks of TOS. The uniforms and voices are the same, however Kirk had zero romance in the entire season. That's just one example.

Sign in to follow this