Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Author, Author

What rating would you give Author, Author?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Author, Author?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: Voyager

Season: 7

Episode #: 20

Production #: 266

Episode Name: Author, Author

Original Air Date: 04.18.01

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Guest Cast:

Dwight Schultz as Reginald Barclay

Richard Herd as Admiral Paris

Barry Gordon as Broht

Joseph Campanella as Arbitrator

Lorinne Vozoff as Irene Hansen

Juan Garcia as John Torres

Robert Ito as John Kim

Irene Tsu as Mary Kim

Brock Burnett as Male N.D.

Jennifer Hammon as Female N.D.

Heather Young as Sickbay N.D.

Director: David Livingston

Teleplay By: Phyllis Strong & Mike Sussman

Story By: Brannon Braga

The Doctor becomes controversial when the crew of Voyager runs his holonovel which portrays the crew in a negative light. Before the Doctor can revise his novel, it is released on Earth for millions to read. The crew tries to say that the doctor has rights as an author which leads into discussion if he is a person, for a hologram has no rights.

Much like the TNG episode "Measure of a Man" the Doctor, like Data, has to prove that he is a thinking person and not just a machine. This is a fantastic episode that portrays the Doctor and the rest of the EMH holograms as slaves that need their freedom. The episode also has a bit of humor with the way the Voyager crew is seen in Doc's holonovel. An overall great episode, even though the basic plot has already been seen in TNG.

***** out of *****

Edited by Gamera

It's Voyager's version of Measure of a Man, where Starfleet says that Data is their property, even though he freely JOINED Starfleet. At first I thought this was going to be another annoying episode, but it was actually really good. The Doctor's first draft of the holonovel was twisted, like a mirror Voyager would be like. But in the case of the Doctor being noted as a human or not, well, there's a big difference between a hologram and an android, but luckily it's not my problem to solve.

This was a very good episode. A solid 4. The only downsides were the Doctor getting full of himself, and that they tried to cram so much into an episode. It seemd like they were borrowing from a whole lot of old eps... like TNG's "The Measure Of A Man." Still, I appreciate that nothing got stale. Tom's humor was great in the holonovel...Tuvok's legal work. Harry's chat with his folks. His mother wanting to write a letter to Janeway...SO FUNNY! Good episode.

I gave it a 4. This ep really developed the EMH as being "sentient". Neat perspective from the Doctors pov and humorous perspective from Paris' pov when he tampered with the EMH's program and created a doctor with just a little more hair :yahoo:

Sign in to follow this