Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

The Inner Light

What rating would you give The Inner Light?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give The Inner Light?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 5

Episode #: 25

Production #: 225

Episode Name: The Inner Light

Original Air Date: 06.01.92

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan

Guest Cast:

Patti Yasutake as Nurse Ogawa

Margot Rose as Eline

Richard Riehle as Batai

Scott Jaeck as Administrator

Jennifer Nash as Meribor

Daniel Stewart as Young Batai

Director: Peter Lauritson

Teleplay By: Morgan Gendel and Peter Allan Fields

Story By: Morgan Gendel

Related Items:

Delactovine

somatophysical failure

Kataan

Meribor

neurotransmitter

nucleonic beam

Kataan probe

Kenomay

stew

I'm sure you have all heard about THIS episode.

Remarkable, absolutely brilliant.

A stellar performance by Patrick Stewart.

People, I cannot overemphasise about how good this episode is.

This episode will absolutely break your heart and if it doesn't, then shame on you because you are a miserable buggar.

You MUST, I repeat MUST watch this episode.

Excellent, wonderful, brilliant.

Gold standard episode.

Rating = 5

Picard faints aboard the Enterprise only to awaken on a strange planet and everyone thinks he is some one else.

agreed, "The Inner Light" is a very sad episode that was brilliantly written. It's another that has a twist but this time, turns out to be a very sad twist. The last scene when Picard silently plays his instrument as the Enterprise quietly floats through space is a very emotional moment. This is a must see.

***** out of *****

My fave ep from TNG. I loved the story about Picard living the life he never had. It was accentuated by the somber tune he plays on a flute-like instrument that he still had from his experience. A well written and acted ep. In a way, it seemed like Picard was happier on Kataan. I don't blame him if he was. :nono: Picard was great as a family man and he seemed very comfortable living a simple existence with those he loved.

I love this episode! It's my absolute all-time favorite Star Trek episode. He seemed very happy living that life, but he never stopped looking for the Enerprise with his telescope.

I love this episode! It's my absolute all-time favorite Star Trek episode. He seemed very happy living that life, but he never stopped looking for the Enerprise with his telescope.

Excellent point, BakulaBabe!

Some info of note on this great episode:

It was ranked the 4th-best episode in the UPN's "viewer's choice" marathon.

This episode won the 1993 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. The award was given at the World Science Fiction Convention in San Francisco. "The Inner Light" was the first television program to be so honored since the original series Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever" won in 1968.

Trivia

The episode's title is Jay Chattaway's Ressikan Flute theme "Inner light"

In German-speaking countries, the title of this episode is "Das zweite Leben" ("The Second Life").

The plot of this episode is similar to that of the Japanese folktale, "The Dream of Akinosuke." In that story, a man named Akinosuke falls asleep while picnicking with friends under a tree. He awakes to find himself in a dream world, in which he marries and has children. After living in the dream world for many years, he leaves the dream world, finding himself back under the tree. He then learns from his friends that he has only been asleep for a short time. He eventually discovers that the kingdom he lived in was in fact a kingdom of ants living under the tree.

A similar story line was used in the 2007 Season of Doctor Who "Human Nature" / "The Family of Blood" where the Doctor takes on human form unaware of his Time Lord abilities and past. During this time he falls in love in 1913 England.

Kamin's son was played by Daniel Stewart, Patrick Stewart's son.

After this episode aired, Picard's flute could occasionally be seen in its box, as a visual prop on his desk. Its final appearance was in a deleted scene from Star Trek: Nemesis; Commander Data picks it up and examines it while discussing human life with Picard. The original placement of this scene was to have been immediately following the wedding ceremony shown in the opening scenes.

There is a lasting reminder of Picard's virtual life on the planet through the rest of the series. The flute plays one more role in the episode "Lessons" where Picard falls for a stellar cartographer, Nella Daren, who encourages his musical side, and with whom he performs a duet version of the "Inner Light" theme.

Picard is seen earlier recording a piece on the flute in the beginning of "A Fistful of Datas."

Christie's auction

The brass Ressikan flute was one of the items up for bid at the Christie's official studio auction of Star Trek memorabilia, which took place on October 5-7, 2006. The flute, which cannot actually be played, was originally estimated to have a sale price of $300. Auction directors admitted that their estimates for many items did not "factor in that emotional fury generated around this kind of material."[1] The estimate was later raised to $800-$1200 on Christie's website.

In the days leading up to the auction, Denise Okuda, former Trek scenic artist and video supervisor as well as co-writer of the auction catalog, stated that "That's the item people say they really have to have, because it's so iconic to a much-beloved episode."[2] The final bid for the flute at the auction was $40,000. Including the additional 20% fee Christie's collected on all items from the winning bidder, the total price for the flute was $48,000.[3]

Edited by trekz

5. Loved this episode. Pretty deep. Very cool. The Ressikan theme alone makes this episode awesome, but there was so much more to this episode that was awesome. The acting, the writing, the set and production. So good.

And even more awesome, when you watch it on the DVD, on Disc 7 for Season 5, when you select this episode and go to the submenu before actually playing the episode.... that submenu-- the Ressikan theme plays as a loop there. Very beautiful. I can see why this theme is so popular.

Sign in to follow this