Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Which are more probable?

Which of the poll options best represent your opinion?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the poll options best represent your opinion?

• UFOS are more probable Ghosts
    • Ghosts are more probable than UFOS
    • Either is equally probable
    • Neither is probable at all

A few days ago I bumped a UFO thread because I saw people very interested in talking about Ghosts and felt bumping the UFO thread would garner lots of new replies but it did not; it fell dead in its tracks. I wondered why and came up with this poll to see where the most probability lies with either one in public opinion. Responses aren't necessary but please cast your vote now.

UFO's are more probable.

The fact life exists on this planet opens up a possibility it exists elsewhere.

No definative proof of ghosts have ever been found.

I think they are a combination of people's imaginations, the environment people are in (if you are in a scary environment you may expect to see "things"), fluctuations in the eye, and other physical explantions like electrical disturbances and so forth.

I do tend to believe that it's possible that when a person dies, although their physical body is gone, an energy "shadow" can remain. Like an energy "echo". If a person is capable of maintaining their sentience after physical death in an organised energy form, then they may manifest as what people call "ghosts". Like a photographic image burned onto something. This is my "Coherant Energy" theory.

Some may last decades and centuries, others may not. Some will be visible, some will not. Some may be dangerous, some may not.

That's what I think anyway.

The term UFO bothers me because when you hear it you automatically think of flying saucers, and that isn't how I think of intergalactic vessels. So by UFOs do you mean flying saucers or aliens?

I believe aliens exist.

Whether they have visited Earth is another matter.

They probably have on scouting missions.

To determine our tactical and technological level.

But more interested in the planet itself.

If they have visited us, we would never have known it.

There isa theory that ufo's are from a parallel universe, in which case anything is probable

I believe aliens exist.

Whether they have visited Earth is another matter.

They probably have on scouting missions.

To determine our tactical and technological level.

But more interested in the planet itself.

If they have visited us, we would never have known it.

326513[/snapback]

Well I know that. I'm just asking if he is reffering to "flying saucers" as in the disks that aliens fly in to ask us to take them to our leaders, or alien vessels as in the first contact?

UFO - means unidentified flying object (although I recently heard the term UAE - unexplaned aerial event - I guess they are trying to be politically correct?)

Anyway the point is UFO's are not just probable - they are documented to exist. By that I mean people have seen objects in the sky that they can not explain.

Now, if the question meant extraterrestrial visitation versus ghosts - well I guess that depends in part on how you define ghosts. Since I don't believe in the traditional spirit of deceased person haunting old mansion - then I guess I'll go with ET's. However, I do believe we our spirit continues after our death - that I consider more probable than alien visitation.

I believe both are equally probable.

We live in a world where science is embraced and spirituality is not. So I suspect the majority of people will say UFO's are more probable.

However, from my Father's work with the Navy on UFO's, I can say that what many people THINK is a UFO can be found to be something else [only 10% of the photos examined actually were unidentifiable], some of the same explanations given here against ghosts can infact also be used with UFO's.

I definitely believe the spirits of deceased loved ones come to visit from time to time.

But a ghost is different to me than a spirit.

I recently worked in a building that was haunted. It was disturbing to some, invigorating to others [like me :clap: ], as people died there in what we sensed was a violent manner.

In doing some research at the local historical center, it turns out our assumptions were right.

The floor that we were renting as a yoga studio had once been a jewelry store in the early part of the 20th century. In all 10 people died in that space, one tossed from a balcony off the back, the rest murdered in various parts of the store. No one was ever convicted, but they suspect it was gang related, Al Capone had a hideaway just 10 minutes away, and apparently this area thrived with them.

Definitely some sort of "impression" was left upon this beautiful space that we no longer use. The strong feelings of being watched, the footsteps upon the stairs, all strong enough to give a sense that certain situations, especially those sad or tragic, leave something behind. Almost as if they very air in that surrounding is permanently "tattooed" with the negative vibrations.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

It's a science fiction website, I think most people here will say UFOS, indicating aliens and not just something unidentifiable, are more probable. I have no real belief in ghosts at all.

The term UFO bothers me because when you hear it you automatically think of flying saucers, and that isn't how I think of intergalactic vessels. So by UFOs do you mean flying saucers or aliens?

326511[/snapback]

For the purposes of this poll by UFO I mean any craft piloted by living beings from different planets, solar systems, galaxies, dimensions or even from our own future, (time-machines) which happens to be my opinion on their origin.

It's a science fiction website, I think most people here will say UFOS, indicating aliens and not just something unidentifiable, are more probable.

326751[/snapback]

Then why the apparent lack of discussion on UFOs while the ghost thread went on and on? Doesn't believing in either of them have a stigma attached, I believe so yet people seem more inclined to talk about ghosts over UFOs. Why is that do you think?

326511[/snapback]

For the purposes of this poll by UFO I mean any craft piloted by living beings from different planets, solar systems, galaxies, dimensions or even from our own future, (time-machines) which happens to be my opinion on their origin.

326877[/snapback]

Alien ships then.

It's a science fiction website, I think most people here will say UFOS, indicating aliens and not just something unidentifiable, are more probable.

326751[/snapback]

Then why the apparent lack of discussion on UFOs while the ghost thread went on and on? Doesn't believing in either of them have a stigma attached, I believe so yet people seem more inclined to talk about ghosts over UFOs. Why is that do you think?

326878[/snapback]

As Matt said, this is a sci fi site, therefore the people here are predisposed to hoping for the possibility.

Ghosts are another matter because it relies on senses, and for lack of a better word, faith.

The "fourth" dimension is unknown, unexplained and most scientists don't have a belief in God, so there isn't likely going to be a study done that will convince anyone of their existence.

Studies can show that a haunting site may have colder temperatures in certain areas of the building. But does that prove a ghost?

It's more interesting to discuss something that we have less conclusive evidence about than on something that is more probable.

Ghosts are another matter because it relies on senses, and for lack of a better word, faith.

The "fourth" dimension is unknown, unexplained and most scientists don't have a belief in God, so there isn't likely going to be a study done that will convince anyone of their existence

I"m not sure what relationship believing in ghosts has to do with believing in God or with faith?

Alterego Posted Today, 03:23 PM

Good question - maybe because people who are interesting in science represent only a small percentage of the population whereas those prone to superstition are a lot more prevalent.

The supernatural is also very "in" in popular media - from shows like Buffy to Lost - it's on people's minds.

Ghosts are supernatural beings, who only exist in the imaginations of some people. UFO's are PROVEN to be real[iE: Roswell, all the videos, etc.], so it is logical that UFO's are real.

I"m not sure what relationship believing in ghosts has to do with believing in God or with faith?

Possibly because there is about as much proven evidence for the existance of ghosts as there is for the existance of a god.

IE: None at all.

Ghosts are supernatural beings, who only exist in the imaginations of some people. UFO's are PROVEN to be real[iE: Roswell, all the videos, etc.], so it is logical that UFO's are real

And there's no conclusive evidence for alien encounters at Roswell or any "videos" you may have seen.[/b]

The supernatural is also very "in" in popular media - from shows like Buffy to Lost - it's on people's minds.

It's hardly a new occurance. Supernatural tales and folklore go back centuries.

The "fourth" dimension is unknown, unexplained and most scientists don't have a belief in God, so there isn't likely going to be a study done that will convince anyone of their existence

Because if you don't have faith, chances are most likely you believe that when you die, you cease to exist on all levels.

Ghosts are supernatural beings, who only exist in the imaginations of some people. UFO's are PROVEN to be real[iE: Roswell, all the videos, etc.], so it is logical that UFO's are real.

UFO's ARE NOT proven.

The thought there is a higher probability of life on other planets, thus making it easier for people to believe in other types of space transportation.

There are some who make the sign of the cross to indicate "the holy ghost". So I feel that in order to be respectful to all members and their varying opinions, comments that would be considered "a slam" against other members beliefs should not be placed on this thread. It isn't respectful.

Each in and of itself is probable. Anyone who thinks we are all by our onsies in the universe is just wrong Just on the theory of just (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) luck. If it happened here it happened elsewhere to.

Ghosts, on the other hand, to use a Trek analogy are like the Organians, beings of energy. As are we all. Energy never ceases to exist, it just changes form. We pass from the physical plane that we perceive, to where ever we end up. Ghosts have not made the jump to light speed as it were, and hang around.